“Unless you like bad service and a bad attitude, don't stay here.”
Review of Indy Hostel

Indy Hostel
Loveland, Ohio
“Unless you like bad service and a bad attitude, don't stay here.”
Reviewed August 10, 2011

On the website, it promises 24 hour check in. We made reservations and our ETA was 7am, which we confirmed on the website. We attempted to call the owner 13 times between the hours of 8pm and 10pm and he did not answer even after advertising 24 hour reception. There was a mix up on our bus schedule and we arrived at approximately 4:30am. Some of the guests let us in and woke him up. He gave us a huge attitude and demanded to know which website we used to make the reservations. We told him that we used his own site, which he checked. Our reservations were there.

He told us that check in time was 2pm and that we would have to wait in the lobby until that time. He was cold, unconcerned, unapologetic about his misleading website and completely unprofessional. The other guests that we talked to that were there did not like him either. We took a cab to a motel and that is where we are staying now. Some people are just miserable and this wannabe business owner is one of them.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank rankinac
Kevin019Sing, Manager at Indy Hostel, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
As mentioned in some of my other responses, I would point you to the more recent reviews for a better picture of our hostel. The mentioned "owner" was only a manager at the time who does not work at the hostel any longer. In regard to the check-in times, we do encourage guests to arrive in the afternoon, but we can accommodate later check-ins when it is communicated before-hand.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Utrecht, Netherlands
Reviewed April 1, 2011

It was my first time in Indianapolis, flying in from Europe. I was at the hostel for a concert downtown. The manager of the band (Haste The Day, had to say their name) made a package deal with the hostel, which helped me to get an affordable stay for 3 nights. Even though the regular prices are really fair, anyway.
The staff there was kind, helpful, hospitable and easy going, I love it! The place downstairs is really cozy, the rooms were tidy, my sheets were fresh, the bathrooms were always clean.
Even though you're supposed/allowed to bring you own food and are able to cook proper meals in the well-equipped kitchen, some of the staff and guests, offered me some of their food and drinks, so sweet! At the hostel there was always free internet, which I used plenty.
All in all, I would surely recommend this hostel, especially if you're laid back and like to discover the nice areas of Indianapolis!

Room Tip: All the rooms upstairs were very nice!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank sammy15nl
Dubuque, Iowa
Reviewed December 20, 2010

I needed a place for a couple of days while I attended a concert in Indianapolis.
The location was especially good for me and also near the bus lines if I needed them.
They also will pick you up at the airport for less than a taxi. The staff were ever so
pleasant and helpful, even gave me a ride to shop at a mall a few miles away and offered to take me to the store. The kitchen was very nice and clean. I had a single room with a double bed to myself and although the door had no lock, I felt very safe and slept very well. Computer/internet access available and within walking distance of some cafe's and a large gourmet supermarket. Nice people all around and although the house is vintage, it is neat and clean and the staff kind and caring to make for an
excellent stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Albuquerque
Reviewed May 26, 2010

This is a great hostel. Hubby and I are traveling around the States - trying to do things on the super cheap. We were delighted to discover that we could camp on the grounds of the hostel. Considering it was 1/2 the price of 2 beds and we had our own tent and camping gear already with us this was PERFECT. We were able to use all common areas of the hostel - the kitchen, computer room, living room, entertainment room, showers, bathrooms, deck, parking, and fast wi-fi.
We set up our tent in the backyard of the hostel. The ground was flat - no rocks to move, no large clumps of hard dirt to sleep on or try to move (you don't even always get this at real campgrounds)! We left our tent up during the days we were there and felt completely safe doing so.
The staff at the hostel were completely friendly. We had a good time.
I would recommend this hostel. So far, as a frequent traveler and hostel expert, this is by far one of my favorite hostels.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EmmaJaneMichelle
KY
Reviewed May 25, 2010

We needed a place to sleep and didn't want to spend a lot since we weren't going to be in the room very long at all. I found this hostel and booked it online. I will start by saying I had not experienced a hostel before, so my review is done from that perspective.

I was very discouraged when driving to it because Google maps routed us through a not-so-good part of town and I was afraid that's where we would be staying. But the hostel itself was on a quiet residential street. There was some off street parking there. The rooms are spread between two houses which are next door to one another. Common areas (kitchen, living room, internet room, etc) are in the one on the corner.

Our room was in the basement of the other house. We had a queen size bed. The room was tiny, but that didn't really bother me too much. What I didn't like was that there was no carpet or throw rugs in the room. The outside temperature dropped into the 50s that night, and it was very cold in there being in the basement with a concrete floor. The other thing I didn't like was that there are no locks on the bedroom doors. I didn't expect a deadbolt but even a little doorknob flip lock or eye and hook lock would have given me a little peace of mind. I kept waking up every so often because I was stressed about that door not being locked.

Everyone shares the same bathroom, which in and of itself isn't a big deal. But someone stayed in the shower for nearly a half hour the night we were there. Luckily we didn't have to go that bad or it could have been problematic.

We did not use the other common facilities so I can't comment on those.

While I don't consider myself very picky about accommodations, this stay has taught me that I am probably not cut out for the hostel experience and I will likely never do it again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mdmcqueen
Kevin019Sing, Manager at Indy Hostel, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
This is a great chance to comment on the hostel experience versus other lodging accommodations.
Staying in a hotel is akin to dining at McDonald's. You know exactly what will be on the menu and you know what you like. Some McDonald's are cleaner than others and have slightly better customer service, but mostly, they are the same.
Staying in a hostel is like eating at a local restaurant in town. We've all had great experiences with these types of establishments and then we've also had some that didn't leave us wanting more. It is a greater risk, but the reward can be extraordinary. I know how great our hostel is because I'm here day in day out, but you have to take the risk (the reviews help too). Come and see us and be pleasantly surprised.

Thank you for staying with me and my metaphor!
Jonkoping, Sweden
Reviewed February 7, 2010

Nice people, clean and fresch environments, access to internet, cookies and a lot of fun. Close to downtown Indianapoils. Really good. I feel like home!

Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends