“Needs improvement almost everywhere”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Indianapolis - North
Ranked #39 of 179 Hotels in Indianapolis
Atlanta, GA
“Needs improvement almost everywhere”
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

First, the positive: good location within walking of essentials and driving of everything else. Drinks at manager's reception were just right. Room on corner was quiet. Bed was great. That's about all the positive.

The negative: front desk staff needs a lot more training, including the manager. Took 4 trips to room with the inability to get into the room before they gave me another room. On second trip, I stood with other guests waiting to be noticed by one of five staff who were instead visiting with one of their friends (one was mgr). Bathroom in a king suite was tiny, and could barely close the door while inside. TV lost signal regularly. Breakfast was a huge disappointment (only get food fresh from the chef and not the buffet). Seating area was windy from the AC and very noisy.

I tend to review toward the positive, and I am a huge fan of ES. But, corporate needs to visit this location and perform a week-long, top-down review.

• Stayed June 2013
mparnella, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Indianapolis - North, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
On behalf of the management and staff of our hotel I’d like to thank you for your recent stay with us. I am disappointed to learn that your experience with us lacked what you typically expect from us. In order for us to continuously improve upon our products and services, we do take your comments very seriously. With that said, please be assured that I will be taking your feedback into consideration to improve our in-property experience.

Thank you again for your review and I sincerely hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back so you may enjoy a more favorable stay.

Mark Parnella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Fairmont, West Virginia
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Embassy Suites generally makes all other hotel chains look bad with the the free cooked to order breakfast. This time; however I was fortunate enough to have my breakfast cooked for me by Lassandra. You may be asking yourself "so what". the so what is that I am a breakfast snob and very, very picky about my eggs. Usually when I order my plain omelet, the cook asks, "No cheese or anything?" I have to explain what plain means. Lassandra never asked me that question once and remembered every single morning I was there how I like my eggs cooked and what I eat with my eggs. Also, the plain omelet was not over done nor underdone. It was perfect.

Room Tip: There are many good restaurants in walking distance to the hotel such as O'Charley's (free p...
Locust Grove, Georgia
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The Embassy Suites Indianapolis North is a great hotel located near a good selection of resturants. With lots of extras included in your hotel stay. Lassandra was there every morning, "bright eyed and bushy tailed" ready to take your order for breakfast. She was very promt and correct with your order. Though breakfast was included she always gave attention to detail, her presentation of the food matched the outstanding taste. Mark was there from
5:30 p.m.-7:30p.m. for the free drinks offered Mon.-Thurs.. He also was very professional and kind, and fixed drinks as good as I've ever bought. Even though it wasn't "Top shelf liquor" he had the ability to make it taste great. The only thing noticably unappealling is that the hotel is 30 years old, however, they have done a great job maitaining it in its original luster. Overall the service of the employee's was outstanding!

Room Tip: Get a room facing the pond to avoid the over lighting from Cosco next door, the noise out front, and...
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here for Indy 500 weekend, when everything is overpriced, but liked how much they offered for the price. Upon arriving in our room we immediately noticed that the room was stuffy, and that the thermostat would not turn on. We also noticed that the bathroom door was unable to latch. We called and maintenance arrived right away. We didn't want to leave until we knew if we had to change rooms, so 2 hours of him trying to fix the thermostat went by when we could have been out doing other things. Finally he said he had to move us to another room. This room was better, but coffee maker was broken. In response to our complaints and having to be moved, they gave us a few coupons for free movie and appetizer. The maintenance man helped move our bags and gave us another coupon. Breakfast buffet was disgusting. Everything was ice cold as the steam tables were not hot enough to keep anything at a safe temperature. The made to order station was the only thing I would trust for hot food. Cocktail reception was nice, free drinks and munchies for 2 hours, though the Atrium was so crowded we just ordered one drink and went to the room. Went to bar Sunday night and bartender was busy eating her meal sitting at the bar and seemed bothered to have to fix a drink. Surprised to see Restaurant was completely closed Sunday and Monday, so we never got a chance to try it out. Bed was comfortable, TVs were fine, very quiet room in a fairly crowded hotel, so the soundproofing was good.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
mparnella, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Indianapolis - North, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We try to always go above and beyond for our guests and I am very sorry to hear that we were unable to do that for you. I want you to know that all of the inconveniences you experienced will be addressed with the proper departments and we hope that we can have the chance to have you as a guest in the future and will be able to exceed your expectations as we always try to do. Thank you again.

Albuquerque NM
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed three night over Indy 500 weekend, service and staff was excellent, hope to stay there again for next years race, under certain conditions. With that said, the property is not on the better end of Embassy Suites I've stay in, showing some wear and tear and could use some general TLC, door between rooms and closet door stuck pretty bad, mold in bathroom, cracked tile, few things like that need to be taken care on soon. The grounds were immaculate with a lot of restaurants close by.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
USA
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I share the fact that I am a Hilton Gold level member not to be pompous, but because often Hilton will give extra nice rooms to Gold and Platinum members, and if this was a Gold level room, then heaven help those who don't get that extra bump. The room was completely filthy. The carpets were a quilted pattern of stains. There were greasy black streak marks on the curtains and the room absolutely was filled with the stench of cigar smoke. When I called the front desk they assured me that they were a no smoking hotel so it should not smell. Well - it smelled. A lot. A colleague that met me in the room on the way to a business dinner noted it as well. I noted that there was NO signage anywhere in the room indicating that it was a no smoking room/hotel and made a comment to staff about it. Also, when a Tornado Watch/Warning was issued that night, I looked around the room for information on emergency exits and there was no signage anywhere indicating where to go in case of a fire or emergency - what do people who are not used to such weather do in such a scenario? I did eventually find Fire information in the hotel handbook in the desk (exactly where I would think to look in an emergency....not!). In addition to this, the toilet ran incessantly, the AC was broken/ineffective, the furniture (couches and ottomans) had tears in them with stuffing showing, and my room had ants - some of whom decided to traipse across the bed while I was in it.

I asked to be transferred rooms once I saw the bugs - it was in the middle of the night. They were very kind and helpful at that point and I was given one that had newer carpet and "a basket left for another level member who did not check in and I could help myself to their treats" (candy, water, chips, etc). Just goes to show that they DO have nicer/cleaner rooms that they hold for the uber elite.

When I requested a discount I was told that since I booked on a travel site instead of directly with the hotel that there was NO way they could give me a discount or reimburse me for the many things that went wrong! They took the money and then made ME run. AWFUL. Also - hugely expensive for the very low quality of room - it was over $200 and not at all worth it. They did offer hotel points, but this was a business expense and I would have preferred to have saved my company money for such a terrible business stay experience.

Finally, in the morning I went to checkout and requested a copy of the receipt so I could submit it for a business expense. The clerk told me that since I booked on a travel site she could not give me a receipt. I said "Well I could book on a travel site and my company would not know that I was actually even here on the trip.....I need something to show that I traveled to the location". She huffed and sighed and said she could "write me a note". RUDE!!!!!!! I told her quite calmly that my stay had not exactly been pleasant and I did not appreciate her tone and she offered a very cold apology and printed out a blank receipt.

I will NOT be back to this hotel EVER. The night manager was extremely kind and helpful...very much so. He did his best with a terrible housekeeping staff, an aging and outdated property, and a surly staff that clearly does not maintain Hilton's care for customer service and impeccable properties. There is a lack of leadership somewhere that has this once lovely property in a tailspin. Sorry but a nice manager and a charming breakfast staff person is not enough to have me or my company fork over 200 bucks. Head elsewhere, unless you are a Platinum member and can get the newly furnished/recarpeted/non-smokey rooms.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
mparnella, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Indianapolis - North, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Let me begin by thanking you for choosing our hotel. We very much appreciate your business.

Please accept my apologies for the concerns that you have raised in your review. I was both surprised and deeply disappointed by your recount of your experience with us. I assure you that it’s contrary to what our customers typically see from us. However, I can very much empathize with your situation and assure you that we will take your comments into consideration to improve our property.

I apologize if you went through any inconveniences and I hope you give us another chance to serve you, if you travels bring you back to our area. Please know that we value your business and will work hard to earn your trust once again.

Lithia, Florida
Reviewed May 26, 2013

The hotel was great 15 years ago but is going downhill quickly. We have stayed at this location a dozen or more times over that time frame. While the suites (1 & 2 bedroom) are great for larger families and the location is great, the bathrooms are showing their age. The mold in the bathroom on last two visits is unforgivable and we'll not be returning.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

mparnella, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Indianapolis - North, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
On behalf of the management and staff of our hotel I would like to thank you for your recent stay with us.

I was disappointed to learn that you found our rooms dirty and that the cleanliness of our hotel was not up to your expectations.

Please be assured that your valuable comments will be shared with my team as we continue to strive to improve upon our offerings.

Thank you once more for your review and we do hope that we may welcome you again at our beautiful hotel.