“Unable to sleep...”

Ranked #36 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
Bloomington, Indiana
“Unable to sleep...”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I stayed at this Embassy Suites twice in the past month for one night each time as I was in Indianapolis for a personal matter and too tired to drive home. The first stay wasn't so bad. I requested extra towels and they were delivered to my room upon arrival, which was nice, because I have stayed in a few Hilton brand hotels and have not received my special requests. The breakfast was pretty good for a buffet style complementary breakfast. The eggs were cooked well and the food was hot/fresh. Before my second night, which was this past weekend, I used e-check in to secure my reservation. I had been given a room on the 8th floor, which is what I'd hoped. I finally arrived at the hotel around 5 pm after a long day of running around Indianapolis and was given a room on the 5th floor, no big deal, I understand that the room isn't guaranteed. However, when I walked into the room and into the bedroom area to put my suitcase on the bed I saw something dark on the bedding. I walked closer and I'm not certain, but I believe that someone had used the bedding as a tissue and wiped his/her nose on it. It was a large spot and it made me sick. I grabbed a washcloth with warm water and cleaned the bedding, went back to the sink at the bedroom vanity area and noticed hairs along the top of the sink basin. My family wanted some food, so I went across the street to get some barbeque carry out. I am a Hilton Honors Diamond member and I don't typically complain about anything. I am used to finding a stray hair or two in a hotel bathroom or a carpet stain that makes me a little queasy, but this was the first time I'd found anything so revolting. I stopped by the front desk to explain and was offered dinner or something to make up for it, which was nice. I explained that I was going across the street to a place my family had requested and that was ok. She told me to think about it and to let her know what they could do, a movie, something. I agreed and went to get our food. As I sat waiting for the carry out, I really thought about this. After seeing the bedding, I sure didn't want to eat dinner there, I didn't want a movie, I just wanted a clean room. They must have been sold out, because I wasn't offered a clean room. I was offered clean bedding. This really made me question how clean the room was and I had a hard time resting that night, in fact, I didn't rest. I did take them up on the movie offer and it actually appeared on my bill and I had to ask to have it removed. Anyway, I took the movie because I felt that I should go ahead and get something, but what I really wanted was to rest assured in a clean room.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
mparnella, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Indianapolis - North, responded to this review, October 11, 2011
Dear Ms. Annie,

I just wanted to give you my personal apologies that your suite was not as clean as our standards demand. A clean suite that has been prepared for our guests is basic for a good stay. You can be confident that we will follow-up on your concerns so future guests are not disappointed as you were. I was happy to read that your first stay was good and that you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast. Please stay with us again soon so that we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.

Mark Parnella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Evansville, Indiana, United States
Reviewed October 7, 2011

Lassandra is one of the cooks there and that woman has a gift. She does a great job with service and she makes quite possibly the best grits I have ever eaten!!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Arkadelphia, Arkansas
Reviewed October 7, 2011

Stayed at this hotel two weeks for business. Everyone was very plesant. Lassandra who cooks breakfast every weekday morning was a great cook. She remembered my name and what I wanted every day for breakfast. Not only were the omelets always great, but Lassandra made it even better with her friendly attitude and great smile. The manager's special every night was also a great way to unwind from the day. Mark the bartender was also very friendly and always remembered what I liked to drink. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone in the area.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
mparnella, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Indianapolis - North, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
Thank you so much for your kind comments. Both Lassandra and Mark do a great job for us and have both been here many years. They help make our hotel stand out. We look forward to serving you again if your travels bring you back to the indianapolis area.

Mark Parnella
Columbus
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Stayed with my husband for one night while we were in town for a concert. Lots of shopping and restaurants very closeby. The happy hour was one of the best I've seen, with expanded options for snacks and drinks. They also had a cute parrot in the lobby, which we were very entertained by. All in all, a great stay and we'll definitely come back the next time we're not planning on staying downtown.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Illinois
Reviewed September 15, 2011

This place is a very good place for conferences etc. I have only stayed here a few times for work and each time its great. I can not speak towards the value as I don't pay for my room (company does) but the facility is nice and updated.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Stayed in this hotel for 3 nights on business, but my family would have enjoyed it too. As usual, Embassy Suites has spacious rooms that are very clean, so the hotel is standard. The upgraded Manager's Happy Hour was a nice plus, but breakfast time is where they shine. It is a busy area at breakfast with loads of seating. Lassandra will make your free cook-to-order eggs, pancakes, or omelets. She is extremely friendly and she takes her job personally. She had 7 orders going when I placed mine, but I only waited about 5 minutes for a scrumptious omelet. It takes more time for me to make it at home and forget about those other breakfast places. She also makes sure that you have all the fixings that you want and even butters your toast if you're feeling lazy. The other breakfast staff is great as they pleasantly clear a table almost immediately. I think jlovestotravel 04 was talking about another location because valet isn't necessary in the big parking lot. The hotel is close to several restaurants and some shopping, making it very convenient. Internet is extra if not a Hilton Honors Member so sign up for the free membership before you go. The internet was spotty at times, but okay for my usage.

Room Tip: I stayed in the NE corner away from the elevator. It almost felt separate from the hotel. #307
Big Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Great place to stay. Staff and setup makes this hotel like home. Always first class and very easy access to food, entertainment, etc. Would stay again any time!

Room Tip: The staff is very helpful, I'm not sure there is a bad room in the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled on business