“Surprisingly fun for toddlers!”

The Eiteljorg Museum
Ranked #9 of 173 things to do in Indianapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: The museum houses Indian artifacts, as well as works by famous Western artists.
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I visited the Eiteljorg a few years ago and enjoyed the beautiful artwork and history. Jingle Rails was the best train display I have ever seen. We hadn't been back since we had our now 2 y/o son and I had figured we'd take him when he was a bit older. However, we went to their annual Indian Market & Fair (also a great event with lots of beautiful art) and admission was included so we wandered over. My toddler LOVED the kids' area in the basement. Had we known it was there we might have visited sooner! We even went back a couple weeks later when they had free admission for July 4. It's not huge compared to, say the Children's Museum, but for a toddler it was plenty. It is split up into areas representing four different Native American and western families, modern and historical. Activities include building a totem pole, tossing "buffalo chips" (bean bags), building a house, and boarding a stage coach. The rest of the museum is not quite as toddler-friendly... lots of glass cases or even worse art that is not behind glass that I could just picture my son running into. Luckily my husband and parents and I were able to take turns playing with my son downstairs and visiting the rest of the exhibits while he played, and he took a nice stroller nap :) The guitars exhibit is phenomenal for any music fan and I'd highly recommend visiting before it goes away! The art is beautiful and the historical and cultural information were very interesting. Our visit was topped off by a great lunch at their cafe which is surprisingly delicious and not your typical museum cafeteria. If the weather is nice you can enjoy your lunch on the balcony overlooking the canal.

1  Thank Katie F
There are newer reviews for The Eiteljorg Museum

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I had a friend in town and we decided to culture ourselves. Plus we decided that proper credit should be given due on a day such as Columbus day... The museum is beautiful. Super cool design - great architecture. I can't say I was overly impressed with the contents of the museum. There was one painting that REALLY caught my attention, but that was about it. I can't say I was all that stimulated by this museum and it was not exactly all that memorable.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Relaxing afternoon if you like history of different Indian tribes and we do. Beautiful art work and sculptures in part of museum with artifacts and historical facts in another part. This month they also included display of famous artist and their guitars. First Tues of each month is half price for seniors.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Extraordinarily well organized displayed artifacts. Treat western history and culture well represented.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I love this place during the holidays. The holiday trains exhibit is so neat and the kids can enjoy it for quite some time. They have an area dedicated to kids to enjoy downstairs that keeps them busy for some time too. I like the activity room that they have for kids crafts. Although this place seems geared towards older kids and adults, they do a great job accomodating us parents of little ones, and friendly staff.

1  Thank TreehouseTwins