“Not what we expected.”

McCormick & Schmick's
Reserve with OpenTable
McCormick & Schmick's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #71 of 2,417 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Cross street: Market St.
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Let's just say that this restaurant was not quite what we expected. My wife and I started our evening with drinks in the bar which their website describes as "distinctive" and "beautiful". The bar itself was very nice, all dark woods with a very nice presentation of the various libations available for purchase. Unfortunately we were expecting something a little more quiet and intimate, but instead there were bright lights and football on two TVs. It was a little disappointing, but the drinks were excellent, and the bartenders were friendly and fast.

The dining room decor is done in art deco, and there were plenty of rich dark woods and subdued lighting to create a really nice atmosphere for dining. We were kind of surprised that they were playing techno and dance music in the background, and it was kind of loud. It wasn't terrible, but it was kind of odd given the age demographic of the diners around us.

Now about dinner... First of all I want to say that the food was quite good.... when it finally arrived at our table. It took them forever to get our food to us, and by the time it arrived my wife and I were extremely annoyed. Our waiter was friendly and apologetic, did not really help out too much with our situation. It was probably not his fault, but the wait time was completely unacceptable. I voiced my complaints to the manager-type, and they comped our entrees which I appreciated.

Anyway, the food was quite good (I had the Lobster Thermidor and my wife had the Monkfish Gratin). The portion sizes were kind of small for the amount you pay, but the flavor was excellent.

Will we go there again? Perhaps... but there are other places that I would try first.

Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

We ate here prior to attending The Mind Tripping show at the Hilton. I ordered the iceberg wedge salad, clam chowder, and shrimp kisses.
My husband had the shrimp and macaroni/cheese pasta dish. The food was ok and the service was about average.... Enjoyed the free dessert given when checking into the Mind Tripping show. Overall ... Good value

Reviewed November 13, 2013

First we were led to a dirty table, then seated out in the open where I would be bumped by passers-by. The place was not croweded, so I asked to move. But was all that really necessary? While it is true that my meal was comped for Veterans' Day, service was just awful. And I was fully expecting to leave a good tip for good service. The server forgot my friend's beer and served it warm--after dinner had arrived, and after being asked a second time. I also wasn't served sugar or sweetener with my unsweetened iced tea and had to request it. It was however, tasty, and filled up, for $3.59. The portions were small and the mashed potatoes were way too thick. The beef tenderloins were cooked properly, although my friend seemed to think his plate of salmon had been microwaved. After deciding upon dessert, I was told that the German chocolate cake at $8.99 a slice was frozen, had not been taken out of the freezer, and could not be served. If this was an enticement to return, this restaurant failed miserably. It's the little things that can add up.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Excellent service, delightful downtown location with a décor that makes you feel like you are in a serious dining restaurant. They clearly figured it out on how to make the experience memorable with outstanding servers, great food, broad menu offerings and quality that any restaurant would be proud to offer. Pricey and definitely at the high end of Indy Downtown dining. Worth it, but the price makes it a rare occasion as opposed to a regular place to dine.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We had 5pm reservation on a Friday night and it was fairly empty. The hostess asked another girl to seat us and when our waitress came she said ,,,,, I wonder why they sat you at the one table that was not set up and then followed it up with ,,,,oh I know why. We didn't ask we just ordered a drink. To keep this review short our dinner was okay service was so so and now that we have been there we do not feel the need to go back.