Open today: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Review Highlights
A Great Zoo!

The highlights of this zoo are the Orangutans and the dolphin show, so don’t miss those. We also... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Shirley M
Indianapolis, Indiana
via mobile
Love The Place

The polar bear is dead. They are replacing it with a water monkey exhibit. Awesome dolphin show... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
595shopping
Indianapolis, Indiana

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Indianapolis
2,278 results
All reviews dolphin show orangutan exhibit train ride roller coaster polar bear dog show shark petting splash pad sea lions white river gardens botanical gardens christmas lights great exhibits animals habitat macaws cages
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This is a nice, clean little zoo with helpful and friendly staff. Admission is on par with other zoos we've visited. We really liked the animal enclosures and the overall quaint feel of the grounds. On the day we attended, the heat index was over 100°, but there were plenty of air conditioned buildings/exhibits to take refuge in when needed.
The kids enjoyed the dolphin show, the meerkats, and, of course, the giraffes.
We are spoiled by the fact that we live not far from the Columbus Zoo and attend a couple times a year. The Indianapolis Zoo doesn't really compare, but is still a nice, little zoo and we enjoyed it.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

I love the fact that they have the beautiful brown lions. I would make it a point to visit while in Plainfield for this experience alone.

Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

The zoo is great, the kids love it. It's very expensive though. If you think you will visit more than once a year it is well worth membership. You can also then do Zoo Boo and Christmas at the Zoo.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I think most of the reviews on this site are spot on. With only 11 "terrible" ratings, I normally wouldn't even take the time to address them, but one of them I just simply do not understand. One of the more recent reviews talks about how dirty the zoo is, and insinuates that the zoo doesn't seem to take care of the animals. This is incredibly incorrect. I cannot overstate this. This is an animal conservation zoo - a zoo that works very hard to keep the animals in habitats that closely resemble their natural environment.

The review in question even complains about the number of animals - yet also complains that the habitats aren't authentic. Well, the reason that there may not be as many animals - is because the habitats are so large! Not only are the habitats authentic - but the size of each animal's indoor barns/vet areas are so large, that there just isn't room to cram in more species - which is the way it should be. All of that being said - how many animals do you want?? I've never once gone into the Indy Zoo and thought there wasn't enough to see. I have two children under 3, and it takes us all day to go through every exhibit. Not only are there many, many animals to look at - but there are animals from many different types of environments, so you don't just get plains animals, or forest animals, or desert - rather, you get the chance to "walk around the globe" and experience water animals, and nocturnal animals, and desert animals, and fish, and bears, and tigers - and so much more!

Not only are there animals - but there are plenty of places to eat (most a bit pricey - but about the same as theme parks), there is also a "water park" area that everyone loves after a day in the high heat. Also, in May 2014, there seems to be a massive gibbon facility going up that will definitely be a must see.

Sure, the train ride isn't exactly a destination ride - but tell that to my 3 year old that probably could have lived on that train for hours.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I am from Indiana, but I have lived in TN and in SC.
I have to say, of the zoo's I have been to, nothing compares to the Indy Zoo!
It's very clean, and they have a great variety of animals to see.

It is true, that the St. Louis Zoo is free, and that is awesome, but it's also extremely overcrowded. I would much rather pay the $17 to get into the Indy Zoo, knowing it won't be as crowded as a free zoo, and knowing the $$ goes back into helping preserve the animals and their habitats.

You can have birthday parties, there are shows, you can feed some... here in the south the only animals in the zoo are what you find in hot climates. SO we don't get to see polar bears, penguins, etc. We also don't have dolphins and whales.

1  Thank spugliese77