“Love the aquarium and gardens!”
Review of Indianapolis Zoo

Indianapolis Zoo
Ranked #25 of 179 things to do in Indianapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: Home to over 2,000 animals and Indiana's largest aquarium, this 64-acre zoo has lions, elephants and other wild animals roaming through natural settings. A special petting area allows children to touch, but not feed, the tamer animals. There's also the world's largest enclosed dolphin show and a roller-coaster for all ages to enjoy.
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Wish the zoo was free like the St. Louis Zoo, but oh well! The aquarium was really neat given that not all zoos have aquariums. The gardens are beautiful.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,144)
All reviews
in 26 reviews
"plains"
in 39 reviews

Reviewed January 19, 2013

The zoo is part of White River State Park. It is not on the caliber of the St Louis or Cincinnati zoos but is worth a visit if you have extra time in Indy. Adjacent to the zoo is White River Gardens which features tropical plants and a butterfy exhibit.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

The Indianapolis Zoo has many pluses. I love the marine animals area and the tiger exhibit. I rate it 4 only because I have been to a lot of zoos and other cities seem to have a larger sampling of animals and better foliage. (such as Cincinnati, San Diego and Jacksonville.) For a city Indy's size, it is a great gem.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

I reviewed the Indy Zoo last year, but since then, I have purchased a family membership and now visit virtually every week. I have been surprised to see some reviews indicating that the zoo is expensive or too small, or that the environment is too artificial for the animals. I have visited a lot of museums and zoos both in the U.S. and while living abroad. In my experience, the zoo is competitively priced, yet enough though the price is average, the experience is far better than average. Many of the animals roam free, unlike famous zoos like the Washington DC National Zoo. I realize that real estate is far cheaper in Indy and that the zoo is much newer, so Indy may have an unfair advantage. Nevertheless, I have a strong preference for the Indy format, rather than the tight confines of the National Zoo. It's not the wild animal park of San Diego, of course, but it's closer to that than it is to the typical zoo with essentially jail cells for all of the animals. I do wish, however, that the Indy zoo had pandas! I have lived in China, where virtually every zoo seems to have them. Finally, if you plan repeat visits, buy a membership. Not only does it make the price a real bargain (including making the parking free), but it gives you access to fantastic seasonal programs like Christmas at the Zoo, weekly jazz during the summer, Halloween at the Zoo, and much more. We even visit just to use the playground equipment and splash park for our toddlers. Nobody with kids should miss this!

See more reviews
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We came at a perfect time - most children were back in school, so it wasn't crowded. The huge parking lot was almost empty, and we were able to park right by the entrance gate. Our favorite part of the zoo was the aquarium. My four-year-old loves anything to do with water, so we spent most of our time petting the dog sharks and watching the dolphins. The dolphin show was great - I enjoyed it even more than the aquatic shows at our home-town Shedd Aquarium. The underwater viewing area was cool too, although we really couldn't see the animals well.
It was fun to see the baby elephant, and my son enjoyed the areas where you could feed animals and pet the giraffes.

1  Thank Einahpets