“Landscape needs alot of work.”
Review of Indianapolis Zoo

Indianapolis Zoo
Ranked #10 of 176 things to do in Indianapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: Home to over 2,000 animals and Indiana's largest aquarium, this 64-acre zoo has lions, elephants and other wild animals roaming through natural settings. A special petting area allows children to touch, but not feed, the tamer animals. There's also the world's largest enclosed dolphin show and a roller-coaster for all ages to enjoy.
Reviewed October 30, 2012

This zoo is just average. The landscape around the zoo and inside needs alot of work. It just seems a little trashy at times. The zoo is ok other than that. Maintenance and landscaping is very noticable and would make your stroll around the park so much nicer. Takes work zoo but not that much money I would think for flowers and a few people to keep everything looking good.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,108)

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Vistied the Indianapolis Zoo Oct. 21st and it was the craziest thing we have ever done.
Took the two grandsons for trick or treating at the zoo. While dealing with traffic lined up for miles in each directions just to park we finally get into the zoo (not cheap) just to find out there were only five tables set up through out the zoo to recevie candy. This place was a mad house and couldn't even get close to seeing any animals. NEVER AGAIN!

1  Thank kim w
Reviewed October 28, 2012

As other reviewers have previously pointed out, this zoo is small. Fortunately, what it lacks in quantity it more than makes up for in quality. The exhibits have a very modern feel to them and are very attractive. Any one of them could have been installed last year.

During a recent visit, I was quite impressed by the selection of large animals that I found here. I was able to see a walrus, three rhinos, several elephants (including two babies), a polar bear, tiger, three lions, dolphins, a sea lion, cheetahs, a brown bear, wildebeests, kudus, zebras, and several other impressive specimens. There were also giraffes at the zoo, but they were not on display during my visit.

Highlights of my trip included the dolphin dome, where I could watch dolphins swim above and around me, the shark tank, where I was able to touch some dog sharks, and the white handed gibbon enclosure, where I could watch the primates swing and interact with a romp otters. If you come to the zoo, try to visit the gibbons during the afternoon when the gibbons sing to one another as part of a bonding ritual. These vocalizations can be heard throughout the zoo and the noise is spectacular.

The zoo has plans for a new orangutan exhibit which will only add to the excellence of the animal experience. While the admission price is somewhat steep, you can get cheaper tickets on-line from the zoo's website ($14.95 instead of $16.95.) I would highly recommend a trip to this zoo and plan to come back myself to see the orangutans in the future.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

The recent updates are fantastic. You can cover the whole zoo in about 3 hours but there is so much to do and explore. Even as our kids grow older, we always have a good time at the zoo and we NEVER miss Christmas at the Zoo, which is always magical.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Indianapolis Zoo is a great little zoo; it has enough diversity to interest all visitors, but it is small enough that you can easily see it all in less than a couple of hours, including the dolphin show. They have something special every year, and two baby elephants have been born in the past two years: so cute! Especially in the warm weather, a great place to bring visitors, but I make sure to come at least once a year with or without guests.