“Great Art Museum!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 163 things to do in Indianapolis
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: With a collection of more than 54,000 works of art, an early-20th-century estate, 152 acres of gardens and grounds, including an outdoor art and nature park, the IMA campus offers experiences that feed both the heart and mind.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Casper
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Great Art Museum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Loved the variety of art and also how well it was displayed and in such and open format. I never felt crowded or rushed but wish I had more time to really dive into all that is there. Also a very well picked mix of traditional, impressionist, and modern art with many media selections.

Visited March 2013

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
7 attraction reviews
“Great for many occasions”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

The IMA is nice because the majority of the artwork displays are free all the time. There are rotating visiting artists or installations that can cost money, but they're typically well worth it. I also like the IMA because it's more than just a museum of art. They have wonderful gardens to walk around, they host film festivals, and they have small concerts there from time to time. I've been to the Indianapolis Film Festival there and seen two concerts. If you have an extra day to spend in Indianapolis if you're visiting, it's worth the trip going over there and if you live in Indy, it's just nice to go check out. There is always something going on there.

Visited September 2012
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Interesting Visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

My fiancé and I have been together for 8 years now, and he took me here as an anniversary trip. We even took some pictures with the giant number 8 (on the second floor balcony) in the background. It was a cool day, all in all. My fiancé knows nothing about art at all, so it was fun to hear his perceptions of different pieces. To have only paid $5 for parking and then be able to walk inside and see priceless pieces of art, this place is extremely good value. I'm not sure if I was allowed to or not, but at one point I was able to feel actual brush strokes of a Van Gogh painting, I felt like I had just shook hands with a celebrity. If we are ever in Indianapolis again, I would surely return!

Visited June 2013
Chris P, Public Affairs Coordinator at Indianapolis Museum of Art, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
We at the IMA are glad to have positively impacted you and your fiancé’s memorable experience in Indy, and we congratulate you on eight happy years together. When you next visit us, we ask that you refrain from touching artwork in the galleries as these actions can damage the artwork. In fact, we recommend to al all visitors that the safest way to view a work of art is from at least one foot away.

As you can imagine, conservation of our many works of art is a key part of our mission and ensures that all who visit the IMA are capable of appreciating our collection.
Fishers, Indiana, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Very good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

First it's free and then there are few spots inside museum where you can park for free. It has good amount of art and also some good quality antiques from Asian and roman period. Worth a trip multiple times

Visited June 2013
Warwickshire, England
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Lovely way to spend your Wedding Anniversary”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

So much to see and free. Only charged for time limited exhibitions. European art and American exhibitions changing frequently.

Visited May 2013