“Indianapolis Museum of Art”

Indianapolis Museum of Art
Ranked #4 of 176 things to do in Indianapolis
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: With a collection of more than 54,000 works of art, an early-20th-century estate, 152 acres of gardens and grounds, including an outdoor art and nature park, the IMA campus offers experiences that feed both the heart and mind.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
Reviewed July 15, 2012

100 ACRES: Virginia Fairbanks Art and Nature Park next to the Indianapolis Art Museum!:

A visit to the IMA would not be complete without a "walk" through its installlation art park. Beginning with the FREE BASKET, your eyes are going to have a feast! The FUNKY BONES makes even adults want to act like a kid, climbing and jumping around on the gigantic skeleton. Be sure to have a seat on one of the lovely yellow benches that look like caterpillars. In addition, each summer, there is an artist in residence who interacts with visitors.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,230)

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Creative, open space. Fun to run around and explore. You can even bring your pets! Don't forget your camera.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

The title of my review is to indicate that I didn't get to take advantage of the expansive outdoor grounds and gardens that are on the premises but I did spend 4 hours inside with the interior exhibits.

There are four levels to the interior of the museum and each floor is broken up into different eras or types of art which was nice because I'm not too much into the impressionists but I love Asian art and so my friend and I spent the majority of our time in the Asian exhibits. A lot of the standard exhibits were quite passive as far as today's museums are concerned. The experience would have been made better with guided tours - either in person or downloadable audio tours. I'm not an art aficionado so, the extra information would have been appreciated.

One of my favorite exhibits featured twelve channels of ceiling-mounted speakers - each channel played voice recordings of 37 individuals repeating what they would whisper into a loved-ones ear. It was a surreal experience.

There was one area that featured digital art that commented on the unrest in the Middle East. Some of it was quite disturbing to me however, it was probably some of the most interesting pieces in the entire building that day.

Bottom line: a great way to spend your free time. But you should either plan to spend the whole day or plan to spend several short days to give the IMA a good opportunity to have an impact on you. I hear there is an amazing outdoor festival that the IMA hosts once a year that is absolutely amazing...I think it's called Penrod. I look forward to attending one day.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

great museum collections accompanied by 100 acre land experience. How neat to be able to enjoy both the lauded artists of yore but to also revel in the "vibe' OF AN OUTDOOR EXPERIENCE.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We have visited the IMA many times over the 15 years that we've lived in Indianapolis. I have mixed feelings about this museum. I love art and art museums. We used to go here on rainy weekends before we had kids and spend a few hours exploring, reading and enjoying their collections. The grounds are simply amazing and especially stunning in the spring. Since having kids, we've tried to go to the museum several times and I've always left feeling very irritated. My kids are well-behaved and enjoy museums, but I feel like the museum staff really frowns on you bringing kids to the museum. They glare and frown and have even made rude comments. I've been to the Louvre, Prado, Picasso Museum, Tate Modern, Uffizi and many other world famous museums where there are scores and scores of school groups looking at the most famous works of art. I feel so unwelcome going here with my kids that we've stopped trying after the last miserable visit. It's really too bad that children are not welcomed and encouraged to develop of love of art by the IMA.