“Great place to go when you want to get out and low on cash!”

Indianapolis Museum of Art
Ranked #5 of 173 things to do in Indianapolis
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: With a collection of more than 54,000 works of art, an early-20th-century estate, 152 acres of gardens and grounds, including an outdoor art and nature park, the IMA campus offers experiences that feed both the heart and mind.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great place to go when you want to get out and low on cash!”
Reviewed July 5, 2011

The IMA is soo nice. On my visit we got to see from the top terrace a beautiful wedding ceremony. The nurish cafe is tasty. If you become a member they have lots of perks an special features. Do forget to take a walk along the 100 acres trail. Its nice to be able to vist a good muesuem for free.

Indianapolis, Indiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Time With My Son”
Reviewed April 15, 2011

I hadn't been to IMA in years. I took my 8 year old and we had a great time. He had been many times with his school and summer programs so showed me around. The grounds and buildings are beautiful. We enjoyed the contemporary art most. One interesting moment, I'm a local Methodist pastor, right before we enter my 8 year old son warms me. "Now don't be surprised if you see a pictures of a naked lady".

Visited April 2011
1 Thank Joseph J
Louisville, Kentucky
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Wonderful Surprise”
Reviewed March 27, 2011

My husband & I had a day in Indy when we didn't have anything planned, so when I read that the Museum had free admission for all, i decided to drag him there for an hour or two. Much to my surprise my less-than-artsy husband seemed to enjoy the museum as much as I did or maybe more. The museum is an amazing place.. We would have loved to visit the Oldfields-Lily Home, but it was closed until April. We hope to return to see that and also the museum once again.

Visited March 2011
1 Thank nana8fish
Beverly Hills, California
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Free and nice to see”
Reviewed November 5, 2010

Clean nice lots of art and it's free they have a food court not bad great way to spend an afternoon

Lincoln, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Birthday Weekend in Indy”
Reviewed July 9, 2010

We took in the IMA as a part of my husband's birthday weekend in Indy. The first great thing about this museum is that it's FREE! For being free, it had really great pieces. The location is great! It is easy to get in and out of and there is plenty of parking. I think this would be great for families, too. There were so many things to see that you could go several times and do something different each time. We were really only able to spend a couple of hours there. We hope to go another time when the weather is cooler so we can enjoy the outdoor gardens and displays. See you next time, IMA!

1 Thank jpslms