“wonderful place to visit”

Children's Museum of Indianapolis
Ranked #1 of 170 things to do in Indianapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: The largest children's museum in the world urges children to dig in and touch everything as they explore the physical and natural sciences, history, world cultures and the arts through exciting interactive exhibits on five floors. There's also a theater with children's plays and live entertainment.
Liberty
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“wonderful place to visit”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Thursdays the museum is FREE. And who doesn't love free? The only drawback to this is that ALOT of people think the same thing and the place was mobbed. It was raining the day we went and there was construction near the museum and that slowed down traffic flow and my kids enthusiasim. It's really geared more to the younger set of kids maybe up to age 12 and mine were at that age and older. But I enjoyed my visit and I know the kids did as well, just didn't want to admit it.

Visited July 2012

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 126 helpful votes
“Excellent”
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

May be the best children's museums in the world. Not just for kids either. There is not a negative thing to say. If you are going to go more than once a year get a membership. It is the price of two visits by a family of 4.

1 Thank Jnotoras
Buenos Aires, Argentina
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Don't Pass Up the Membership”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This museum will definitely have you coming back again and again. It took us multiple trips to even see everything with my preschooler, so the membership was a must (only a few visits and the membership has paid for itself, plus you get free carousel rides, discounts in the shop, etc.) The exhibits were a wonderful mix of information and fun, whether that simply be some time for pretend play or a hands on learning experience. There really is something for everyone here and the museum does a great job of rotating the exhibits, so you won't get the chance to be tired of seeing the same thing over and over. There is also a small branch library there called the InfoZone which occasionally offers readings and of course you can borrow books. They offer several discounts and free days as well and what looks to be an incredible preschool program. Buy the membership and have at it!

Saint Louis, Missouri
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“I expected more...”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

After visiting the website and reading reviews I thought the place would sweep me off my feet. The coolest part was the dinosaur on the building OUTSIDE the museum. My five year old liked it (but she likes a lot of things). We're from St. Louis and often visit the Science Museum, City Museum, Myseum and Magic House...much of what we saw at the Indianapolis Children's museum we'd already seen elsewhere (and in some instances it was better else where). Yes, it is a very LARGE museum but some displays were a bit boring. We did visit on a FREE day (glad I didn't pay the admission price to be disappointed). We enjoyed the one demonstration in the Biology lab on the 4th floor. Overall the 4th floor was by far the best. Ultimately I wouldn't suggest driving more than an hour (we drove 4 from St. Louis) to check the place out. We enjoyed the Indianapolis Zoo much more!

2 Thank stayathomemom212
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Kids LOVED it and so did the adults.”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We probably didn't even get to half the exhibits there's so much to do. They do a great job of having things for all ages. From our baby to our nephews to my father-in-law all found something entertaining. My nephew and I loved the Hot Wheels exhibit. My son loved the baby room. I thought we weren't going to be able to get my father-in-law to leave the Gecko exhibit. Everyone loves the top floor. Parking is easy. It was a busy Saturday which requires a bit more patience but you're still able to enjoy everything. We will be back.