“Good Carryout”

Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Columbus, Ohio
“Good Carryout”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

We didn't have enough time to eat in as I was trying to make the baseball game that evening (I did), so we got carry out. We weren't sure the place was even open when we went by, as there was a paper on the dood--but we are glad we stopped and went in (the paper was asking us to make sure the door was closed, due to high winds that weekend). We ordered a duck curry dish. There was plenty to eat and it was spiced just right (we went with mild/medium). There were pineapple and lychees in the sauce too. Very enjoyable and we hope to go back to try a sit-down meal the next time we are in Indy. The staff was very pleasant. It doesn't look like much on the outside, but the food is good and it is pleasent inside. We found it due to an AAA listing in our guide book.

• Visited May 2014

Canton, Michigan
“Wow, an Unexpected Pleasure!”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Located about two miles from my hotel, Thai Spice was the highest rated, nearest, restaurant. What a surprise!

It doesn't look like much on the outside, but Thai Spice is a great place for a meal. The food is top-notch, the service friendly, the wine list abysmal, the bar understocked, and who cares? The food is top-notch!

I had the Sun Dried Beef, and the Red Curry with Shrimp. Both were generous portions, and both were delicious!

The sun-dried beef is a bit reminiscent of jerky, and I've had this dish at other excellent Thai places. Here, the beef is cut in 1/4" julienne strips, about 3" long, served with a slightly sweet sauce on the side. The beef is chewy, beefy, and has a bit of spice. It's not hot, but while eating it, you are aware you are in a Thai restaurant. This is an excellent appetizer, and I wouldn't recommend sharing ;-)

The Red Curry with Shrimp is a large bowl (maybe a quart) of a delicious soupy stew of perfectly-cooked shelled shrimp, eggplant, peppers, and bamboo. There's a bowl of rice on the side, so you spoon the curry over the rice. At the end, there's still a pint of liquid left in the bowl, but you will have fished out every bit of solid goodness to be had.

This curry is cooked to medium-hot, and I asked them to raise it to hot/extra hot. So when the bowl came, there was an extra spoonful of peppers on top. I stirred them into the curry, and realized it was about as hot as I could stand (8 outta 10). My eyes were watering, my nose was running, and I was filled with joy. Endorphins were poppin', released by the capsaicin in the peppers. Bliss . . .

Dessert was coconut ice cream, apparently homemade, not overly sweet, or tasting of artificial coconut flavor. The ice cream had small chunks of coconut. I asked for a bit of honey on the side, and drizzled that over the top. It put out the fire, and was a great ending to the meal.

With a decent wine list (something not available at the local 7-11 for $9 or less), I'd give this place five stars. The food is that good. Lacking that, though, I"ll simply suggest you order a Thai beer (they carry two labels), and thoroughly enjoy some great cuisine.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank AccidentalGlobetrttr
Indianapolis
“Pad Thai, baby.”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Just go for the Pad Thai alone. Prepared to your level of desired heat, this stuff is filling and oh, so tasty. The food was very reasonably priced for the portions given.

• Visited February 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
“So Good!”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

This is my favorite Thai restaurant and luckily we only live about 2 minutes away from it! I get their masaman curry almost every time and it's absolutely delicious. The staff is very attentive and good at giving advice about what to try if you're a little stuck. My husband found his new favorite food there only because it was suggested to him. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone!

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Allison H
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Delicious”
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

The food was authentic thai with the wonderful option of heating it up! I took the family and they all enjoyed their food. I wish their kids menu was more "thai-like" though. Waitresses were nice and patient while answering my wife's questions (she had not had thai before). We'll probably be back soon :)

Visited November 2013