“Super cool”
Review of Climb Time Indy

Climb Time Indy
Ranked #17 of 53 Fun & Games in Indianapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: Climb Time Indy is dedicated to providing the best that rock climbing has to offer. We are focused on maintaining a safe environment where climbers of all ability levels and ages can get better, learn more and above all else, have fun climbing. Climb Time offers a wide range of difficulty levels from very easy to moderate to extremely difficult. Whether you are looking for powerful bouldering, sustained routes, or just a day out with the family, Climb Time Indy has what you are looking for!
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Great staff of young guys who were willing to help a first-timer and two kids. You're free to explore on your own. Although we had passes to climb free, I'd pay the rates without question and will definitely return. Best time to go may be during the week when crowds are a little smaller. Those shoes hurt! Lie and give them a shoe size 3 times what yours really is :)

1  Thank thebri2

Reviewed August 17, 2012

I'm a therapist for autistic children. I recently took a 7 year old client and his cousin to Climb Time for a therapeutic play date. The only available seating is stained and disgusting. The staff was rude and when I asked him if he could speak to me differently, I received only a sarcastic and rude reply followed by additional comments. Instructions were barked at me as if I was less than a paying customer. When my client (again, he's autistic) didn't understand instructions, he spoke to him in such a belittling tone that I had to step in. Luckily, my client was oblivious to the treatment he had received and went on to enjoy the experience. This was my second time visiting. The first time, was just as dirty, but a more pleasant experience. Second time, if it hadn't been for the children, I would have requested my money back and left immediately.

6  Thank Jpreddie
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I will start with the good stuff, the climbing walls are great for people of all skill levels, that is about the only good thing. The employees are VERY rude and if your new the act like your stupid and annoying. The comeback with sarcastic remarks and talk mean to kids as well. My son asked how to tighten the harnest again and the employee said (in a very sarcastic tone) listen to instructions. The managers yell and the whole place is discusting. Oh, and dont let your kids buy the lollipops on the way out they are like 5 years old!

5  Thank TheManFromDownTown
Reviewed June 20, 2012

The rating I am giving to Climb Time Indy is unfortunate. I tried to keep an open mind about the gym after my first visit. However, subsequent visits have led me to the conclusion that this gym needs a serious overhaul of both attitude and facility. I'll try and outline my thoughts by listing them in categories. I'll cover safety, knowledge, atmosphere, and cleanliness. Hopefully, that will allow others to make an informed decision on their own. ~Keep in mind Climbing gyms are not required to meet any standards. They only need you to sign a waiver to use the facilities for insurance purposes~

-Safety
While safety can never be assured while climbing, it is both unwise and irresponsible not to focus on it as a priority. Climb Time has shown an incapability to provide this essential function to its customers. Here are some examples:

1. Poor Training. They offer insufficient and lax initial training to new climbers. (training on using ropes, belay devices, etc.) Many new climbers have a difficult time belaying, or operate equipment incorrectly.
2. Belays. Instead of traditional belays from a partner, Climb Time has in place "poor man's" auto belay systems. These systems consist of bolts (I'm assuming, you can't see them) in the floor and webbing attached to a petzl grigri belay device. The problem is that the the system is shock loaded each time a climber falls. This puts strain on the belay device and the webbing that under normal conditions would require them to be replaced quite frequently.
3. Ropes. The ropes are not kept in good shape. At my first and last visit, there were many ropes that had multiple soft spots, as well as fraying ends. They were several that were so short that it was difficult to unhook from the rope. This is incredibly dangerous for a gym that has climbers falling on these ropes many times per day. Any questionable ropes should be replaced immediately.
4. Poor supervision. There were many times that I witnessed people walking underneath climbers in front of employees. Nothing was said. Should someone fall, that could be dangerous for both the climber and the bystander.

-Knowledge
It has been my experience that climbing communities have a passion not only for climbing but for building knowledge and passion for the sport in others. This has not been my experience with Climb TIme.

1. Poor initial training (as discussed previously)
2. Employees seem more interested in climbing themselves than helping new climbers by giving pointers or helping them to learn how to use the equipment.
3. They have an all auto system that does not teach new climbers about how to belay responsibly. A better system would be to teach climbing commands, proper belay techniques, and cover at least another form of belay. This would allow customers to gain knowledge about climbing.
4. There are no lead climbing routes. This would allow climbers to progress to new levels of climbing, and would prepare them for climbing outside a gym. (provided they had training in multiple belay/set up techniques.
5. The routes are not numbered. That is they are not numbered using a system that relates to other climbing routes. Numbering them according the the Yosemite decimal system or another established rating system would allow climbers to track their progress and allow for continuity if they left the gym to climb elsewhere.

-Atmosphere
An important part of climbing is the atmosphere in which you climb. Traditionally, being outdoors, you have the opportunity to become one with nature. Quiet and focus are important factors in honing moves and staying safe. More than that, climbing as a sport has a supportive atmosphere of positive feedback. That is what builds our motivation to continually fail, and try again. Climb Time Indy does not exhibit these traits.

1. New customers are treated rudely, and disrespectfully. Questions are met with rude tones, and I often felt talked down to. Not a pleasant experience.
2. Many recurring customers are treated with the same disrespect. I have witnessed a school group, bringing 20 students every week, continually talked down to and treated with disrespect. They were often treated like they were annoying, and were mostly ignored by employees.
3. Employees are frequently being yelled at by the managers and the owner. This creates an awkward experience for everyone. Not exactly an uplifting atmosphere.

-Cleanliness
Though not typically an aspect of climbing that I hold to high esteem, it is an expectation I have of an establishment purporting to be in support of healthy living or exercise. Climb Time Indy is badly in need of work in this category.

1. The carpet in the lobby is stained in many locations. There is only a vending machine available for refreshments, so I am a little concerned what has caused all the staining.
2. There is a serious odor. It is obvious as soon as you walk in, and it seems that there are no steps being taken to curb the odor. While this may not concern some, I think we can all agree that smells have a source, and it is the unknown source of the smells that concern me.
3. There is a large snake kept on the premises. Now I admit that I may be a little biased because I hate snakes, but here is my reasoning. What is the purpose for a large snake in a gym? I can't think of one and that makes me uncomfortable. Also, the cage it is kept in is a glass display case with sliding back doors. It seems to me that It would be difficult to keep the snake inside the cage because of this.

-Before I conclude I would like to offer a disclaimer. I have recently heard that Climb Time Indy has replace some of their flooring, as well as sanitizing climbing holds, and replacing some ropes and belay devices. However, because of the condition they were in prior to this work, my recommendation will still stand.

-That recommendation is that if you value climbing as a safe, enjoyable, experience you should seriously consider finding another venue in which to pursue it. Climb Time Indy is reckless, and that will eventually result in them closing or someone getting seriously hurt.

11  Thank TylerH593
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I haven't been to Climb Time in quite a while but it was always so much fun! Very safe and also challenging.