“The new 'local'”

Cuisines: Malaysian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Ever discovered a restaurant you knew you'd see again and again? On hearing a theme of good reports about this local Malaysian-Thai restaurant, I was thrilled to find Kerabu was everything I'd hoped for.

Modern, warm and cosy despite surprisingly generous inside proportions. High ceilings, exposed metal beams, upholstered wall seating and dim lighting. I particularly enjoyed my spot along the wall seating with prime view of a huge painting of squat ceramic pots. Simple, yes, but against the muted green wall it made a striking statement in the restaurant space.

Service was friendly, attentive and courteous. Orders were taken promptly, and food delivered quickly. Dishes were beautifully presented and portion sizes were nicely generous. Prices ranged from about $15 to $38. We particularly enjoyed sharing the eye fillet for main, served on a large white dish with greens perfectly cooked and seasoned. Roti Chanai was suberb!

I've read some critical reviews claiming MSG after-effects. This was not our experience, though I qualify by saying we didn't sample the entire menu. Kerabu is currently BYO (love this about a local restaurant) and their corkage charge is most reasonable.

Kerabu gets my "excellent" vote for food quality, price, service and for its dinner atmosphere. The fact Kerabu's local makes it a pure winner.

I do believe we've found our new 'local'. Give it try and remember to book early.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Tried this Malaysian-Thai Restaurant as we needed food in this area and it looked OK.
Well after having a meal there it not only looked good but EVERYTHING was VERY good.
The six in our group thougth the food was very good and tasty. It came out nice and hot from the kitchen and the presention was excellent. Plenty of nice friendly staff always looking after your needs. Pricing was not expensive with our mains being between $17 and $23. They also do take away with many people coming in and out but this did not distact from the night..
The ambience of the establishment was spot on. Give it a go.

1  Thank Takeiteasytheworld
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We went on Saturday night with friends and had an enjoyable evening. The setting is modern and comfortable. The lighting was good- enough to see your food but still atmospheric. The restaurant was packed but the service was excellent with the head waiter overseeing the restaurant.
Our food was great. The sesame duck was probably a favourite but as all plates were clean at the end it was a hard choice. The servings were generous (something often lacking at Thai restaurants). We will definitely return.

1  Thank JanandAnne
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I am almost reluctant to publish this review because Kerabu is becoming so popular that its difficult to obtain a table at times, I think it's undeniably one of the best restaurants in Melbourne. My partner & I have been following the owners Irene & Lai for years, because the food they produce has always been exciting, fresh & delicious, & the service & surrounds warm & friendly. I can't recommend a particular dish because its all so good.....

2  Thank CherylR717
Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Great Thai food in a great restaurant. Really enjoyed the whole snapper and the MMM beef. Desserts were also very good, try the crazy banana.