“Don't even bother!”

The Iris Buffet
Dining options: Buffet
Dining options: Buffet
Reviewed February 5, 2012

In terms of eating ... This place is a fail.

I'm writing my review based on my experience of about a year ago: food substandard looked like it had been in there all day without being replenished ... Was less than ok looking.

My first impressions were bad and by the end of my meal my impressions were even less positive! If we had been smart we would have left as soon as we were seated and not eaten.

I didnt get sick but I didnt eat much on purpose for the fear of getting I'll later.

Tourist buses used to stop there but I'd imagine that they just drive on past now bc of the terrible food.

Recently I have seen new signage outside offering daily yum cha - so maybe the owners have changed? But I would be too scared to try to be honest. Once bitten, twice shy!

2  Thank Pip_Y_nz
Reviewed August 5, 2011

When I went here with some friends the buffet cost $28.70 per person. About a third of the buffet is fresh/defrosted food that is cooked in a hot-pot at your table, yet when I requested the actual hot-pot I was told I would have to pay $4 extra for the hot pot! In my opinion this was a bit of a deceptive business practice.
All of the employees were Chinese-speaking, with the majority quite young, so probably overseas students. The service was acceptable, some of the staff were more attentive than others, but it wasn't outstanding.
We arrived for dinner at 19:00 and I found the food to be about as appealing as a take-away shop in a shopping centre with the food presented in a lukewarm bain-marie. Indeed there was some variety, but it looked like there was hardly any of anything, and all they had were leftovers, so things weren't topped up unless they completely ran out, and then it was still debatable whether the food would be replenished. There were some salads, cooked unpeeled prawns, a roast, and then a few Asian dishes plus rice and noodles.
Some salads were available, and in terms of the hot-pot seafood buffet there were defrosting uncooked prawns, crab (until it was quickly snatched by the other diners as soon as it was brought out maybe once an hour), noodles, sliced fish, and seafood extender in various spherical forms!
A reasonably small variety of desserts was also available, including some grapes and mandarines, and tea was included in the price.
When I saw the food I was actually concerned that I'd get food poisoning, but luckily I only got a bit of "the runs" after eating here and felt OK afterwards, but still.....!
If you want an overpriced and unimpressive Asian buffet, go here. If you want something that's value for money, I'd probably try Food Star in Knox or Reservoir if they're still around. If you don't specifically want asian, maybe try the buffet at the Village Green Hotel, and personally, I'd rather go half as often, pay twice as much, and get an experience that's 10 times better at China Bar Signature in Burwood East, which when I think about it probably explains why this place was empty and has gone downhill like Victorianlad mentions in his review.
I don't think The Iris Buffet will be around for much longer unless they really lift their game, but based on my experience, I'm not sure that's such a bad thing anyway!

1  Thank robol
Reviewed August 9, 2008

This restaurant was originally a Sizzler restaurant, but was reincarnated as a Chinese-food oriented smorgasboard (buffet) more than a decade ago.

In several visits over a decade, I have noticed a decline in the variety of food on offer. Prices have also crept up.

The restaurant can be quite noisy. While drinks are reasonably priced, the variety of food needs to improve as the premises are in an upmarket part of Melbourne.

For dinner, it is notable how early the restaurant empties. By 2100, not many diners are left.

3  Thank Victorianlad