“Great staff and nice remodel!”

Courtyard Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Hammond
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Stayed at the Courtyard in Hammond while in town for a family function. The staff were all friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and functional--just what we needed. The remodeled lobby is very nice and welcoming and has great amenities. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank DigsGreatHotels
CYHammond, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Thank you for the wonderful survey. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the Bistro in our lobby. We hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

This hotel is in a good convenient location to I-80/94 in Hammond. Very easy to get to the highway and get around NW Indiana. It is the mid-level hotel of a 3-cluster hotel of Marriott properties, which includes the Residence Inn (on the south) and Fairfield Inn (to the north).
The hotel lobby has been extensively renovated recently and is very high tech and modern (new lounge/restaurant area), plenty of updated seating and a huge touch screen information board very prominently displayed. The lobby setup was clearly an attempt to get the Courtyard to compete with the likes of the class of hotels that includes the Hyatt Places/Hilton Garden Inns/Cambria Suites, with high tech lobbies with nearby comfort food and drinks in an open setting.
The sleeping rooms are set to be renovated starting in January 2013 and once done the hotel will be in really good shape. As it is the sleeping rooms right now are still in very good shape and barely need the renovation, but once done they'll be great.
We were in a handicapped room, which has a few drawbacks. They have to make the bathroom bigger which takes a bit of space from the sleeping area. It also means they have to put two full beds in the double, rather than two queen beds, which is a drawback.
This also means in this room there is no extra furniture other than the desk chair and beds. No extra seating space in the room, which was very clean and otherwise in great shape.
One of my pet peeves is when hotels only put 3 sets of towels in a room with two beds. A big NO, NO. For single King rooms, 3 sets is fine, but with two beds there should be a MINIMUM of four towel sets. This hotel only had 3 sets of towels and we had to call down twice to get extra towels.
The Wi-Fi worked well and was free.
Like most hotels in this class, there is NO free breakfast, but plenty of decent food in the lobby.
The staff was very friendly and even comped my family a snack from the 'pantry' because the restaurant in the lobby had just closed.
Another drawback....no vending machines next to the ice machines on the floors. This forces you to the 'pantry' where there are snacks but they are very expensive. Better to run to a nearby convenience store.
My kids also tried the pool and it was VERY, VERY COLD!!!! They hated it. It was a nice sized pool but totally unenjoyable because of the cold temperature. There was also a nice sized hot tub but they didn't try it out.
The one elevator was a bit slow and scraped along the walls as it was travelling, so let's hope they have that checked out when re-doing the rooms.
Despite the few drawbacks, this is an excellent place to stay if you are looking for something a little nicer than the Fairfield and don't want to pay the higher rates at the Residence Inn. If you are up to paying a little bit more though, try the Residence Inn just next door. I've stayed there and gave it a previous review. Was a very decent hotel. This hotel is right next to the highway and if you request a room on the South side of the hotel you can help mitigate too much road noise.

Room Tip: Get a room on the Southwest side to avoid road noise and to get a small look at a little lake behind...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
CYHammond, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Thank you for your wonderful review. I’m glad you enjoyed the interactive Go Board in our lobby. It has great information of the local area. We are also excited for our room renovation. Some of the items you listed about the accessible rooms will be addressed at that time. I’m sorry to hear you felt the pool was cold. We maintain a temperature of 84 degrees in our pool. Thank you again for taking the time to give us your feedback. We hope to see you again next time you are in the area.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I could tell that portions of this hotel had been recently re-done, and they've done a great job on it. From the moment I walked in, until I checked out, I was constantly impressed. I stayed here oct. 4th-6th for work.

The greeting when I walked in seemed absolutely genuine and was so pleasant. After things were in order, the front desk person helping me walked out from behind the desk to hand me my key and direct me on how to get to my room. That was a very personal touch that I noticed and appreciated. The staff hotel wide were friendly. If I got within about 20 feet, I was acknowledged and pleasantly greeted.

The bistro food was all made to order. It did take some time, but I'd much rather spend a few extra minutes as I witness her wash and freshly chop the ingredients for my salad, rather than have them just open some 2 day old pre-made saran wrapped salad.

The room was great. The bed was so extremely comfortable, and plenty of pillows. The climate control of the room worked extremely well. The shower head was new and had great pressure, and the free wifi actually was pretty fast. One of the faster free wifi's I've encountered for sure.

Again, I was extremely pleased with this property, and since I'll be there again in early december, absolutely plan to stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Tripnastic

Thank you for your wonderful review. We try to exceed our guest expectations and it sounds like we hit the mark with you. I’m glad you enjoyed eating at the Bistro. We look forward to your return visit in December. Thank you again.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

This is a super hotel in a great location, although close to the interstate one did not take much notice of the traffic noise. This hotel was the cheapest of the 3 in the area around the lake ($113 + tax). We had a balcony room which was clean and fresh smelling. All the staff were friendly, cheerful, and smiley, especially Jen who booked us in. The lobby area is roomy and airy with three computers for guests to utilise. Good food is on the doorstep with a Cracker Barrel just yards away. After 2 weeks touring four states this hotel was the right one for the wife and I to stay at for our last night before flying home.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
CYHammond, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

I hope you enjoyed traveling the states. We are glad you ended your trip with us. We hope to see you again on your next trip.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

We spent one night there on a trip from East to west. Paid $190. with taxes for a room that was far from what it should have been. Good things: It was clean and the staff was nice. Bad: the cost was the most we have ever paid for a one night stay on a trip, the towels should be recycled for rags, the counter in the bathroom had about 3 inches of space on either side, the faucets sprayed water all over the little space we had, the shampoo and conditioner containers held enough for barely one person and I guess no one provides body lotion any more. It was noisy from the nearby throughway. There was no free breakfast although the one purchased was ok. The next night in Grand Island, Nebraska we stayed at a Fairfield inn, also by Marriott which was cheaper and far superior.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the feedback. I am sorry to hear that you felt the rooms were not worth the value paid. We are renovating the guest rooms this winter. Your concerns with the bathroom space are being addressed within the renovation. I hope that you will give us another try next time you are in this area.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

We had to change hotels during our trip because the staff at the previous left much to be desired and the room had hairs left over in the shower by previous guests. That hotel would not let us change rooms, so as soon as we were able to leave, we did. We ended staying here. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the rooms were actually clean.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for the feedback. We strive to be the cleanest and friendliest hotel. It sounds like we achieved our goal for you. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

Where to start . . .

THE GOOD:
The STAFF makes this place - both CARLY and Valeri were FABULOUS! The king bed was VERY comfortable. The entire room was exceptionally clean. Carly made sure we had a fridge (which we had requested for a medication - not every room has one). There is a central washer/dryer ($1 each - and they supply detergent for) which we did use. The have recycling in the ice machine area (at least on 1st floor.) The rooms are VERY quiet - we never heard our neighbors (and there were plenty). There are ADJOINGING ROOMS (which we did not need, but some families do) available. Nice outdoor seating area. Great spaces in lobby to hang out. There are even booths with side TVs to change to what you want to watch.

THE BAD:
The loveseat was lumpy, bumpy, and uncomfortable. The "office chair" was also uncomfortable. The rooms are small and somewhat outdated (which is not the end of the world.)

THE UGLY:
The fold out, well suffice it to say was nasty enough that I could not let my daughter sleep on it. Carly had a rollaway in our room pronto, which was great. My daughter ended up sleeping on the "top" on the loveseat, so we sent the foldaway back the next day. The TV starts on a screen which makes it easier to "buy" a movie than to watch TV. My 11 year old accidentally bought a movie even though she was trying to get OUT of it and to TV. Carly checked in to it quickly and let me know she took care of it (she even knew we "watched" it for 1 second.)

OVERALL:
We would stay there again - but would opt for 2 beds to make sure we all got good sleep. LOVE the staff.

Room Tip: go for 2 beds if you need them, do not count on a fridge or a good foldout . . .
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for the feedback. I’m glad to hear that Carly and Val took such good care of you. The hotel will be renovating the guest rooms this winter. The loveseat and desk chairs will be replaced during the renovation. We hope to see you again next time you are in the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hammond
0 mi away
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN
Residence Inn Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN
Hampton Inn & Suites Hammond
Ameristar Casino Hotel East Chicago
Best Western Northwest Indiana Inn
5 mi away
Ramada Hammond Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Courtyard Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN? Share your experiences!