“Don't mind the haters, it's not a bad place.”

Ramada Hammond Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Hammond
wyoming
“Don't mind the haters, it's not a bad place.”
Reviewed June 9, 2012

I'm always astounded by how people experience things so differently, but I found my stay here to be perfectly fine with everything I needed.

For starters, pulling into the parking lot and up to the entrance took all of 2 seconds, though I could see how this could be time consuming if one were a drunken go-kart operator. Check-in was smooth and I was up to the room in about 2 minutes flat. As requested, I got a second floor room that was a bit off to the side and in a quiet area. The room itself served it's purpose and had no major issues. It's not the Ritz, but it provided everything I needed.

I had planned on heading up to the casino and inquired about the shuttle at the front desk. I was given a card and told to call down when I wanted to go, and they would call the shuttle people and inquire to their whereabouts and then call me back. That sounded somewhat cumbersome, especially for someone like myself who loathes social interaction, so I opted to drive myself. The trip is less than 10 minutes and pretty straightforward; I'd recommend just doin' it yourself, especially if you have a burning desire to get there quickly and get your gamboooooool on.

The surrounding area is somewhat unsightly, but hardly anything crazy for me, having previously worked in inner-city schools. Nonetheless, I would recommend not leaving any valuables in your car and requesting a second floor room to limit any potential outside access. Just do the little things and you'll be fine.

The restaurant next door is a good option for food, with a wide selection of choices and not much else to pick from in the area.

You may do well to request a quieter room, as the freeway is right beside it and could produce some noise. This was not an issue for me, however. Other than that, a solid place to stop if you're just passing through and/or plan on hitting up the casino.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank pknight212

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 12, 2012

This hotel was just fine. It's an older hotel and you can tell it in the hallways but we found the rooms to be clean and comfy. The beds had 4 pillows each and 3 sheets which I love. The bathroom was spotless with walk in shower. Would stay again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Our group of five occupied two rooms last weekend (Dec 3-5, 2011), and we unanimously had a wonderful time at the Ramada Inn Conference Center in Hammond, IN. We especially want to thank manager Christine Cash, who graciously rectified an error made by a reservation agent and gave us two rooms at a discounted rate as compensation for our inconvenience. Despite what one disgruntled reviewer posted, we had no problems with the expressway (once we turned on the A/C fan), the parking or the front desk. Furthermore, the rooms were clean and comfortable, all the amenities worked, and the maids were friendly and helpful. Even the continental breakfast featured fresh pastry selections and more cereal choices than we are accustomed to. I guess the only negative aspect of our three-day stay was the hallway leading to our room. The problem? The hallway reminded me of the movie 'The Shining'. Not to worry, though--there are no twin girls or axe-wielding madmen runnning around the Hammond Ramada Inn. As long as I'm not greeted with "Heeeere's Johnny!" when I walk through the front door, I'll probably be staying at this location again next summer.

Room Tip: Choose a room far away from the fire extinguishers because that's where the axes are located. J...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed October 26, 2011

I just spent the night at the Ramada Inn in Hammond, Indiana. I read the reviews on Tripadvisor before arriving and thought that such negative reviews must be by some angry travelers who were weary from traveling. Boy was I wrong! I spend about 200 nights a year in hotels and I have to say the Ramada in Hammond is one of the worst I have every stayed in. The hotel seems to cater to casino visitors in the almost everyone I saw at the hotel was in their mid 80s and there were charter buses parked in the parking lot. This hotel is more like a motel. In that in order to get to the room I had to drive around the convention center, then into the parking lot of a different hotel and circle around the back of the building to enter through the back door.

When checking in I discovered that someone had posted my reservation on the wrong date so I did not have a reservation. However, the hotel was fairly empty and since I had the confirmation notice of my reservation, the young girl honored my reservation. I had requested a King bed non-smoking room in a quiet area. When checking in the young girl seemed somewhat indifferent to my request, but did assured me that the room I was given was in a very quiet area. However, after going to my room and getting settled I realized that that the room was next to the expressway. The carpets were dirty and the room had very limited furniture. There was no closet area for the clothes, except for a bar extending from the wall. The air conditioner system was the old floor type model. In order to abate the noise from the express way, I had to turn the air condition fan on high speed. The option was to change rooms, hear the trucks from the express way, or have a super cold or hot room. I did attempt to call the front desk, but the phone rang for about 10 minutes with no answer.

Later in the evening I discovered that the sink would get backed up when running water and the commode would not flush. I again attempted to call the front desk, but again no answer. The bed had four foam rubber pillows and the mattress was obviously old and lumpy. The curtain over the window was drawn out and the light from the flood lights out side the building made the room very bright. One of the drawers on the dresser was broken and the wall paper was peeling. The shower consisted of the pre-fab type, very small and with an old straight show curtain bar. The breakfast consisted of what appeared to be dated cold cereal and bagels. I was speaking at the conference center next door and asked the front desk if I could have a 1:00 PM check out, but this was refused.

I am not sure what the options are for hotels in Hammond. But, I can assure you if I am ever in Hammond again I will either stay in a different hotel or keep drive to another city. As I indicated I stay in many hotels each year and this is one of the worst.

Room Tip: Avoid and keep driving to a different hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank FLJ021251

Travelers are raving about these Hammond hotels

Hammond, Indiana
Reviewed November 2, 2010

This hotel is absolutely gorgeous. The staff is very friendly and the rooms were very clean. The hotel was recently remodeled. I spoke with one of the cleaning staff and they informed me that the furniture was new as well as the beds. The bed was very comfortable! I would stay here again. I also recommend others to stay also. Thank you for a great stay!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Danville, Illinois
Reviewed July 28, 2010

i think this hotel was nice. they had a decent breakfast, comfy beds, very friendly staff, and the pool was nice too. the casino is just minutes away, and the hotel has a shuttle to go there too. the neighborhood was ok. a lil run down, but ok. i was informed about security on the property at night, which was a lil scary, and by the way, the security guard was not nice at all.....watch out for him! we stayed for a weekend and we had a great time, great service, the front desk staff was fantastic. Carlene was very helpfull when it came to directions, and places to go and have fun. i would definetly stay there again. and i didnt see any prostitutes in the parking lot...so i wouldnt belive that. i suggest this hotel if you will be travling to hammond in.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Hartland, Michigan
Reviewed July 21, 2010

I stayed here as the best option of the choices. The corporate rate is reasonable at $70, but any more is way to much. The rooms are dated and the cleanliness is borderline, in the sense that you still want to check the sheets, but they are probably fine. The office chair was filthy and the carpet was suspect. The staff answered questions but I was given the feeling that they had other things to do. Not un-friendly, just not customer focused. They do have a shuttle service to/from the HMI Amtrak station and the local Horseshoe Casino which is a nice touch, runs until midnight.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank knhd976
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hammond
Best Western Northwest Indiana Inn
Hampton Inn & Suites Hammond
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN
Ameristar Casino Hotel East Chicago
Red Roof Inn Chicago Lansing
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Lansing

Been to Ramada Hammond Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!