“business”

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
1  Thank Elwood A
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed in this hotel twice because of the price and location. The hotel was dark and in need of remodeling.on each visit. My first visit was an emergency because of a death in the family so I don't remember much. I do recall the room was tidy but needed a good scrubbing and smelled of smoke inspite of the no smoking policy.That was January 2012. my second visit was September of the same year. It took three tries to obtain an adequate room for the night. Room number was on the third floor. As soon as I swiped the door card and opened the door, cigarette smoke hit me in the face. I have asthma. I went to the desk and complained. I received a different room and a feeble apology from the front desk clerk. The second room was on the second room was on the second floor. There the bathtub has approximately two inckes of standing water in it, and this room also smelled of smoke. I went to the desk and complained. The clerk at the front desk assured me that maintenance would fix it immediately. Shortly thereafter my sister arrived for a lunch date. I was gone for three hours. When I returned the water was still in the tub! The clerk said she THOUGHT it was taken care of and offered me an apology and third room. Room number three was on the main floor. It did not smell of cigarette smoke. The bathroom was dated and needed cleaning. I spent my first thirty minutes cleaning the bathroom. I am sad to see a hotel at such a convienet location in such a state of ill-repair. Located near I-90, I-94, Horseshoe Casino, a golf course, and 21 miles from Chicago...what a waste.

Room Tip: pass this hotel by. for a few dollars more you can get a much better place to stay
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank sterling b
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We checked in . We put our belongings in our room and went to dinner we came Back and as we walked to our room I could smell smoke ( cigarette) all down our hallway. I went to the front desk and Carlene was working ( I use that term loosely ). I told her that i'am an asthmatic and that someone is smoking down my hallway (just to the left of the front desk). She asked me if it is down the hallway or in a room. I told her I didn't see anyone in the hall . She then told me she has no way of finding out what room it is coming from. I hope she can read & write. It does nit take a rocket scientist to figure out how to find this out. If they think u have too many people or a pet they will go to the room and find out. She was just TOO LAZY to get her butt out from her chair, behind the desk and find out. I called the 800 number and spoke to Carly . She was so "sorry" but has no authority or brains on how to handle the situation. I asked (after I reported the asthma attack to her) her to call the manager and make them do something. I paid $73 for this? So if you have a problem the super 8 itself does nothing and the 800 number is worthless . If u just want lip-service and a smoke filled building with help that is just a warm body then stay here.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank Mscgh
Reviewed May 13, 2012

So for starters, I wouldn't recommend exploring Hammond, it has a pretty rough feel that it gives off as you drive through it.
The hotel itself is something that I really couldn't recommend. The elevator smells strongly of cigarette smoke. When we got into our first (yes, I said first) room the bathroom hardly had any light, the airconditioner only put out heat, and one of the comforters on the bed had a huge rip in it (they should have noticed. Maybe they didn't care?). I informed them of the problem with the air conditioner and, after looking at it, they moved us to another room. This room was better, but it still had extremely harsh, and low, lighting in the bathroom making it very difficult to get ready in the morning. The wifi here was also quite slow (Browsing the Internet was an exercise in patience).

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Stephen V
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I used this as a stop for the night between Michigan and Kansas. I didn't want to spend the night in Illinois, so this was my "last chance" without having to drive another 3.5 hours...

Everything worked, let me get that out of the way. I had no issues with anything being out of order, nonexistent, or unavailable. Everything that I needed was there. There were no infestations (unlike the hotel that I had been in just a few days earlier.

What bummed me out was the cost per night versus the obvious age of the hotel, combined with the general neighborhood this hotel was in. Constant truck and train noises, lots of traffic noise, this was an industrial style area without a doubt. I'm hard of hearing, so usually background noise isn't a big bother... but I was hearing it at all hours.

For a lower price per night, I would have forgiven that, and the obvious age of everything, even the dark grout in the tub/shower. But, the price point per night on this was right up there with what I typically pay at far newer installations.

If this had been less expensive per night, I would have given it a higher rating. But just as you hold a Maserati to a different standard than a Mazda, the higher price per night means this one has to duke it out with nicer hotels for the price.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank kansasccw
Reviewed February 4, 2012

I flew from Florida to Indiana to see a Dr. and other medical problems. I explained my situation to the staff. They put us in a quiet room. It was clean, food was good and I felt secure. We stayed 8 days.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hammond
Ramada Hammond Hotel & Conference Center
Best Western Northwest Indiana Inn
Ameristar Casino Hotel East Chicago
Hampton Inn & Suites Hammond
Red Roof Inn Chicago Lansing
Residence Inn Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN

Been to Super 8 Hammond/North? Share your experiences!