“not worth the money”

Best Western Northwest Indiana Inn
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Hammond
Reviewed February 12, 2012

This place was just ok. A few key problems_

Pretty damn far from everything. Other than a strip joint a few short steps down the road, you are going to have to travel to even just get a bite to eat.

People smoke EVERYWHERE. Regardless of the no smoking signs, plenty of people felt free to smoke just about everywhere there.

The restaurant attached is a rip-off, but I guess they can get away with that since they pretty much have a captive audience, unless someone wants to long-haul to a fast food joint way down the highway.

Walls are pretty thin - I was privy to my neighbor's drunken tirad for the 3 nights I was in. Oh well.

Has ice machines, a few washers and dryers, and plenty of parking. One thing that was super-annoying was that whenever I got back at the end of the day, my key-card erased, and I had to slog all the way to the front, ground level ( I was in the back, 234, 2nd floor) to get it reset. No, I never put it near a cellphone or other magnetic or electronic device. Apparently this happened to more than just myself.

No meals were included at all. Internet worked pretty good everywhere in the hotel.

Housekeeping did a decent job to be sure, and if it weren't so far to get to anything, I would recommend it, despite the above mentioned faults. But right now, nope.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank inspectorjavert70
bwnwi, General Manager at Best Western Northwest Indiana Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2012

First of all i want to thank you for your review. I want to apologize for the inconvienance. I thank you for the positive comments. We do understand our location is on an industrail road and is away from the city. We are close to the express way. Our restaurant is very affordable and the items on the menus are freshly cooked per order. We hope make you next stay 100% satisfactory.

Thank You. Staff and Management.

Reviewed December 5, 2011

Ish!!! This place was a nightmare, but we were tired and desperate travelers.

Old, outdated and 3 floors huge of every other room designated smoking.
The result was the hallways smelled like a bowling alley and even the non-smoking rooms seemed tainted.

$89 for two double beds in a shabby room on a Wednesday night was no deal.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Suzette38
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I didn't have any of the problems experienced by the other reviewers. I am a woman who was traveling alone, and I grew up on the South Side of Chicago and was familiar with Hammond as not being the the safest, but I was pleasantly surprised. The location was off the beaten path in an area that was mostly hotels and businesses - I didn't feel unsafe. Both the public areas and my room were updated and clean. The restaurant was not outstanding but adequate, and the ice machines and vending was convenient. The people who worked there - from the front desk to the restaurant to the housekeeping staff - were friendly and helpful. I didn't use the pool or fitness room so I can't speak to those.

My only complaint is that my bed was not very comfortable, kind of hard and lumpy. Other than that I was pleased with the amenitites. I had recently stayed at a "boutique hotel" in Chicago - The Ambassador East - that was horrible: dark, spartan, and not user-friendly to the extreme - so I can compare my experience at the Best Western to that. The Ambassador East didn't even have a comfortable chair in the room or a place to get ice or a soft drink. My room at the Best Western seemed positively luxurious at a great price!

I would recommend this hotel if you have business in northwestern Indiana or the south side of Chicago. You could certainly do a lot worse!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I hate Hotire for putting me there. It is a trucker dump that smells like urine. The windows look out to semis and tractor-trailers hogging the parking lot. God help you when they rev up in the morning. The pool was nice and had green grass around it - I should have slept by the pool because the bed was rancid and toilet would not shut off. Did I say I hate Hotwire for lying????

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
6  Thank Ravenpac
dipti68, General Manager at Best Western Northwest Indiana Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2011

I was very surprised at the level of vitriol in your review. We have new mattress and box springs in all of our rooms. They are Serta pillowtops and we are consistently complimented on our beds. I am sorry that you did not have the same experience. I would have hoped that had you not had a comfortable stay, you would have contacted our desk, and had your room changed, or asked for the General Manager. By posting your comments only on Trip Advisor, you have eliminated our ability to "make things right". At the very least, we expect our guests to have experienced a caring staff , a clean room, and access to guest amenities that are maintained well. Those are the things that we can control. We have a very diverse clientel. Some days we do have over the road truckers who use our facility. We have more than ample parking and truckers are encouraged to use the back lot of the hotel, or the side lot. Our front lot is the largest lot we have, and we do not allow truck parking there. If the location of your room was an issue, at check-in you could have requested a poolside room and we would have been more than able to accommmodate that request. The truck drivers whom you found objectionable, actually pay a much higher rate than the Hotwire rate you received. They certainly deserve the same hospitality that we afford to all of our guests, including guests with discounts. We do not descriminate, and we cannot believe that any American would expect us to.

Reviewed December 23, 2010

I am in the bail bond business and am ex-military. The first free times I stayed there the only problems werethat the windows would not lock & secure, not good if you are on the ground floor. That last time I stayed there I came in with most of my gear. My car was parked in front of the front door, front desk & security guard. The gear I left in the truck was a combat shotgun hidden in the backseat where it could not be seen from the outside. As I was walking in the hotel personnel must have noticed I did not have my shotgun. I went up to the room to get a few hours of rest. I later came down to smoke & everything was fine.

I went back to my room & arbour an hour later I went back downstairs to smoke & as I was walking out the guard asked me if that was my truck & asked me if I had a shotgun stolen. How would he know what I had stolen before I did? Sure enough, the shotgun was gone.

During the police investigation, the guard told them he had been on the third floor (my floor) while this had happened. My truck was in full view of the security camera, but unfortunately their system wasn't working during the burglary. Sound suspicious to you???? It sure did to me. The guard was not at his normal post (on my floor for some reason), the front desk clerk was away from his position, & the security video just happened to be down all at the same time. The conclusion from the investigation was that it was an inside job. The only way they knew the shotgun was in my truck was because the guard & hotel clerk saw me without it. I'd stay away from this place if I were you & and I can guarantee I will never stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2010
6  Thank ath21e
dipti68, General Manager at Best Western Northwest Indiana Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2010

The security cameras we have installed around the perimeter of the hotel, and in hotel lobbies, are in place to act as a deterrent. We do not have the equipment that would give facial recognition or plate numbers.. Our system records with motion only, and sometimes it does not pick up movement. To view the recorded information takes time, and the most that it would indicate is someone standing near the car, we would not see much beyond shadows. We sympathize with the guest, the loss of his rifle. We understand from guest and employee review of the incident, that the guest had brought the rifle into the hotel. He let everyone he met, know that he was a bounty hunter. There was every indication that other guests were able to hear that he was a bounty hunter. We work diligently with the City of Hammond to stop automobile theft or vandalism. These occurences are periodic. Our statistics are no greater or lessor than any other hotel within a 5 mile radius. We do our best to encourage guests not to leave things in their cars that would encourage this kind of crime, such as CD's, GPS Systems, and most definitely firearms. We are in an industrial area with 2 hotels as our neighbors, and 3 more hotels 1 mile down our road. We will also have 3 additional hotels built on our block. If our area was unsafe, you would not see the growth of our industry. We are blessed with family reunions, leisure travel, business travel and bus tours. The experience this guest had at our location is not typical. More than 25000 travelers have stayed with us this year, less than 12 individuals have had things stolen from their vehicles. We installed cameras to benefit our guests, as a deterrent only, and they seem to be working on that basis. Our Night Watchman is there to be a second help to the desk. His job is to walk the interior floors, and the parking lot, again AS A DETERRENT ONLY. We do not expect our Night Watchmen to do more that call the police when they suspect something suspicious. There is nothing to indicate an "inside job". The watchmen have been with us for a number of years. They are courteous and diligent. In talking to staff we learned the guests actions in having the rifle on the luggage cart etc., exposed himself to risk. It is not unusual that the night watchman would be told about the theft of items from your vehicle. He would most likely be on the first told, since he is required to fill out a report daily.

Reviewed December 2, 2010

Nestled in the southwest corner of intersection I-80 / I -94 and Cline Ave, Best Western is accessed from Cline Avenue South. There's no immediate exit to the motel, so one must follow Cline Avenue South one mile to first traffic light, make a hairpin right turn, and follow a service road back one mile to the motel. Three motels sit on this service road between the Expressway and a marsh.

The parking lot is well lighted with adequate parking near the front door. All rooms are accessed from an inside hall. The lobby is bright, welcoming, and furnished as a conversation area. The clerk was receptive and friendly. She told us how to find our room.

Our spacious room looked fresh with earth tones. It contained a very comfortable King bed, armchair, hassock, microwave, refrigerator, desk, big TV, large dresser, several light fixtures, and 3 mirrors with space between them. The bathroom was large and bright. The shower head was forceful and adjustable.

The breakfast area is not free. It is deemed a restaurant. One can purchase a mix of coffee, OJ, pancakes, eggs, bacon, and sausage for about $5 to $8.

There is an onsite pub that takes cash only.

The expressway is north of the motel. Taking the expressway west leads to Kennedy Avenue, Indianapolis Blvd, and Calumet Ave. They all have restaurants and coffee shops. Taking Cline Avenue South 2 miles leads to Ridge Road, a commercial link to restaurants for several miles in either direction.

Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DennisBonnie
Reviewed November 22, 2010

This is not the best Hotel I stay in, but the staff is great!! I have been in this area 5 days a week for the last year, and continue to stay at this location just because of the staff. I hate the fact that this location does not have a coffee room or at least coffee in the lobby, and that the Bar has band smoking even though the State allows it. This location has lost a lot of money due to the fact that I drink at a outside location, but overall I like this Hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business