“Poorboy steak sandwich was poor”

Freddy's Steak House
Ranked #25 of 107 Restaurants in Hammond
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hammond, Indiana
“Poorboy steak sandwich was poor”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

I ordered a take-out order: full-size poorboy sandwich to be cooked medium rare. The steak itself was the worst piece of meat a restaurant could use and it was cooked well over done. It was not even a 1/4" thin very grissly and disgusting. I would not recommend this sandwich to anyone in the future. This is not the first bady rated poorboy steak sandwich I have had from here but it sure is my last. This time I did phone and complain.

• Visited October 2011

Merrillville, Indiana
“Yuck!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

I really didn't mind the dated decor, it was clean and in good repair. The service was horrible. Ordered a Miller Lite draft, it turned out to be a Blue Moon. The waitress said, well I put the ticket in for Miller lite and I can't argue with the bartender and walked away. She then came back and pluncked down a relish tray (dropping half of it on the floor and never replaced the items) soup, salad, and bread all at the same time. I cut up vegies from the relish tray to add to my lettuce only salad. Thirty minutes later, our dinners arrived. Ordered another Miller, but got another Blue Moon, argghh. The prime rib tasted ok but the portion looked like it came from the kiddy menu. 52.00 dollars later, and two incorrect beers later, we left vowing to never come back.

• Visited October 2011
2 Thank umfoofoo1
indiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't take your worst enemy here!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2011

Went for a early dinner with family. As we entered the restaurant, the hostess walked away from us and never returned. A waitress finally seated us 2 adults and 2 teens in a broken booth with only 2 place settings. When the relish tray was dropped at our table, it looked like it had been left our since the early morning. We had to ask for more place settings and was given 1 knife and 1 fork. The food was fair but not the greatest. The prices were high- this is Hammond and not Chicago! Can say that we will NEVER go back!

• Visited January 2011
1 Thank dah011
Hammond,IN
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tooo pricey”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2010

I have frquented Freddy's for both food & drinks. Drinks are too expensive(they think we're in Chicago), and the steaks they're not bad and the Chicken is great! Although I did have lobster which was well past it's time(smelled like amonia). I didn't know at the time that that is a way to know your lobster is bad, so I paid for it. Take heed, if you are anywhere and your seafood smells like amonia, send it back and don't pay for it! All in all, we don't go there anymore.

1 Thank Terri13
chitown
“relax in a decent local steak joint.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2009

Freddy's has been rejuvenated from the "new" ownership (over 6 years
ago). The place has a history in the area and in the "old days" I think there were regulars who had a personal relationship with it. I just had prime rib at a fancy, huge new restaurant in Rockford last week. What a beautiful place. The prime rib there made me wish I was at Freddy's instead! The meat is so tender and so prime at Freddy's. It's all about the food! It puts many upscale places in their place. The loaf of bread and roasted garlic the perfectly done side vegetables with that grilled taste. I have had great food and the service is fine. Oh, and lake perch is so tender and mild more so than ocean perch. I love their lake perch. I found the service to be "down home" and overall very good. I've been to Freddy's many years ago under the "old" owners and got the worst prime rib I've ever had. It was right after visiting my dad who was dying in St.
Catherine Hosp. and I really needed a good meal to pick up my day. I asked for
au jus with my rib and got a greasy bowl of fat. The thing was full of gristle.
What a bitter cherry on top of a bad day. I was so drained I just ate it and
left. I thought I'd never go back there. I did though, after it went through new
ownership I gave it another try. I'm glad I did. The place gets fun on Friday
or Saturday sometimes with good live entertainment. We saw a very talented musician which is way better than some piped in muzak or a TV blaring in your ear like you get at a lot of places. It's just a little neighborhood steak place with a neighborhood charm. That's what I like about it (plus the real improvement from the declining place it was before). Go there, don't expect Gibson's downtown Chicago just relax in a decent local steak joint. Welcome to Hessville! Yeah, by the way this is the exact center of Hessville, Indiana.

Been to Freddy's Steak House? Share your experiences!