“Superbowl leads to gouging”

Candlewood Suites Indianapolis - South
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Greenwood
Reviewed May 16, 2012

This is a typical, relatively new Candlewood Suites hotel about 10 miles south of Indianapolis. I have stay here a lot since it opened a few years ago and it was moderately priced and clean, with nice staff, and rarely even close to a full parking lot. What came to my attention recently was a change in the little notice posted on the inside of the door that indicates the maximum that can be charged to a customer for use of the room. That maximum had been $259 a night, which while high for what one gets, was I guess, possible to justify. However, when the Superbowl came to town in February that apparently changed. The number now on the door is $859 a night, and I don't know if that required a minimum number of nights. In discussing this with an employee I was told that it changed around the SB and while they were full then, no one complained about it. Give me a break. $859 a night for a Candlewood Suites room? And the media, etc., complain about gas gouging? This is gouging taken to the extreme. Just thought I would vent a little on this point.

Room Tip: Be sure to check the rates if a big time event is in Indianapolis.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
psklaus, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Indianapolis - South, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2012

As general manager of the Candlewood Suites Indy-South, I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review. Our success is dependent on the feedback we get from loyal customers like you. Next time you are in town, I would be glad to sit with you and discuss the postings on the back of our doors. Please let me know if there’s anything else we can do to make your next stay with us feel more like home.

Reviewed April 25, 2012

We had the pleasure of staying at this hotel for a weekend getaway!! The staff was very accommodating. We asked for extra pillows and towels and they were already in the room when we arrived. The room was very comfortable and spacious! It was great to have all the usual comforts of home right in your room. Staff was very personable even at 4 am when we were leaving for an early flight!! We will definitely return to this hotel when in the area!! Thanks to the staff and manager!!

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Clippincoups
psklaus, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Indianapolis - South, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2012

Thank you for your great comments about our staff and service!! We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and look forward to seeing you back when you are in the area.

Phil Klaus

Reviewed April 2, 2012

This isn't the best Candlewood I've ever stayed at but it certainly wasn't the worst either. It's a smaller Candlewood, a newer design, probably only a few years old at most. As others have mentioned there is nothing in the general vicinity of the hotel with the exception of farms and fields. However, while it is the only business on the East side of the Interstate on the West side are plenty of stores and restaurants so they are a short drive away, just don't expect to be walking to anything. I actually kind of liked the location as it was a bit quieter then most hotels. Yes Graham Rd is still somewhat busy so you get a little traffic noise but you don't get any noise from the interstate at all even with the windows open.

My room was pretty much a typical, newer Candlewood style and was reasonably clean. I wont go into all the amenities in the room as other reviewers have covered that but you basically got a full kitchen with a full sized fridge, dishwasher and 2 burner cooktop.

The wireless Internet download speeds were awful so if you need to download large files for work don't expect it to be quick. The latency was good though so I was actually able to stream video from Netflix despite the lousy bandwidth.

TV was nice and had a TON of channels. Beds have Sealy Posturpedic mattresses which I don't care for but that's what all Candleswood's use, they are way too firm for my taste.

Only real problem I had with the hotel was the laundry facilities. The laundry room was small, busy and dirty, especially the machines themselves, those were absolutely filthy. There were only 3 washers and 4 dryers and two of the dryers were extremely slow and took hours to dry two towels. Also, I don't think the insides of the machines have ever been wiped out. One of the washers had grease in it so I got grease all over my expensive dress slacks and shirts, which really infuriated me I have to say. There were also a lot of inconsiderate people who left their clothes in the machines all night so there were clothes piled up all over from people who had taken their stuff out so they could use the dryers. Overall it was the worst hotel laundry experience I've had in 10 years of traveling for business.

Other then that the hotel was fine, I'd probably give it 3.25 stars, 4 if they cleaned that laundry room once in awhile.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank AlCzervik1
psklaus, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Indianapolis - South, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2012

As general manager of the Candlewood Indy South, I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review. Our success is dependent on the feedback we get from loyal customers like you. I’m so sorry to hear that your internet speed was not sufficient and that you had issues with the cleanliness of our guest laundry. As you mentioned, our washers and dryers do receive a lot of heavy use at certain times and we do our best to clean them out completely during non-usage hours. We assure you that these issues are not the norm, and we will make every effort to ensure it doesn’t happen again. We hope that you’ll give us the opportunity to make this up to you the next time you’re passing through. Please let me know if there’s anything else we can do to make your next stay with us feel more like home.
Phil Klaus

Reviewed November 29, 2011

We stayed at this hotel with a room block for family and friends for a wedding. It is pretty much a self service type of hotel. It was immaculate, new and had all the basics. We booked a suite for two nights and it was more than enough room for two people. Full size kitchen with all appliances and fully furnished. TV's in both living room and bedroom.

As stated in the other reviews, It is in an isolated area on the other side of the interstate. All the restaurants, shops, country club, etc are a short drive on the other side of the interstate. But it was nice to be in a quieter area so we did not mind. We would stay here again if in the area and do not require service or attention from the staff.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ResortSpaLady
psklaus, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Indianapolis - South, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2011

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your stay with us during the recent wedding. We are please that you found our new hotel immaculate, and enjoyed our extra added room features. We appreciate the feedback and look forward to hopefully seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed November 8, 2011

Our group of ten had the pleasure of staying at the Candlewood Suites while attending the National Future Farmers of America Convention. Great rooms that were perfect for kids.
The staff were and very helpful with information for out of town guest

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for staying with us during the 2011 FFA Convention. We realize there are many lodging choices during the convention and we sincerely appreciate your business during the week. We are happy to hear the kids enjoyed the stay and we hope to see you back here in 2012 for the Convention!
Phil Klaus, General Manager

Reviewed July 7, 2011

This was a nice hotel but located way away from most everything. There was a farm and corn field right next to it. The suite rooms were nice. If you are doing an extended stay this is the hotel for you. The rooms have full size refrigerators, small stoves, and a microwave. The hotel did not have a pool. You could almost set up an office in your room. You are going to have to drive a few miles to get food, gas, or groceries. The hotel receptionist was a little rude and cocky. The price was a little cheaper because of the location.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am glad to hear that your suite was accommodating for you. As you noted, we are a new addition to the Greenwood area as the land around us is still in the development stage. We always appreciate feedback, and we will pass this information along to our staff. We are always looking for ways to improve, and we hope you will return in the future.

Reviewed April 12, 2011

the hotel and staff are amazing. They anticipate our every need. I love having the Cupboard for my convenience. Love the free Wi-Fi, the fitness center and luandry available for my use. When traveling with kids, you never know what can happen. The location is good for us. CLose enough to shopping and other attractions without fighting for parking.

Room Tip: CALL and speak to those who work there!
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank amy47454
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenwood
Holiday Inn Express Greenwood
La Quinta Inn & Suites Greenwood
WoodSpring Suites Indianapolis Greenwood
Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis South/Greenwood
Red Roof Inn Greenwood, IN
Hampton Inn Indianapolis-South
Hampton Inn Indianapolis-South
#19 of 186 in Indianapolis

Been to Candlewood Suites Indianapolis - South? Share your experiences!