“Expectations Met”

Putnam Inn
Ranked #6 of 39 Restaurants in Greencastle
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Putnam Inn- famous for its Broasted Chicken served up fresh since 1972! For three decades, people have enjoyed home-style meals at this family-owned and operated Greencastle eatery with friends and family.
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Expectations Met”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Had lunch with a colleague here today and really enjoyed it. I came pretty hungry and the buffet did not disappoint. I love home cooked meals and this place really hits the nail on the head. The young lady waiting on us was very kind and a pleasure to have in company.

A few things I took note of that I feel are minor and can easily be fixed. There were no labels on the buffet. Now a majority of the items on there are pretty identifiable (I don't need a sign to tell me that those are mashed potatoes) however, I bit into what I presumed to be a fried chicken breast and it turned out to be fried cod or perhaps catfish or something? Now for me this isn't a big concern, I just don't typically care for or eat a lot of fish. My concern lies for people who may have an allergy. It's also just a nice touch to show that extra care is taken so that people don't have to go looking for a staff member to describe what they are eating.

The restaurant itself seems kind of tired. The decor is outdated (no big deal) but there are areas of the carpet that need cleaned. I can't tell you what the bathroom looked like. All in all a great family owned place that has been in business in Greencastle for many years. I will look forward to eating here again, and would certainly recommend.

• Visited January 2013

Chicago, Illinois
“Good Home Cooked Food”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Putnam in is a staple in Greencastle! Rhonda the owner is always seeking to serve good home style food!

Visited August 2012
Northern Illinois
“Very Popular for Sunday Brunch”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We were traveling through Putnam County visiting the covered bridges. After visiting the Dunbar Bridge we were getting hungry. We were a little concerned because Greencastle is a very small town in Indiana. We found the Putnam Inn and the parking lot was completely full. This was the first part of September so it was too early for the crowds that visit for the color of the leaves. We were concerned there would not be a table. When we entered the restaurant we were surprised to see that it was a pretty large restaurant. They had a Sunday buffet and that is what we ate. The food on the buffet was pretty average as buffets go, but you could order off the menu. We also arrived at the end of the serving time, so we might not be giving the restaurant a fair shake as far as the buffet is concerned.

I gave the restaurant a 4 star because it was obviously a very popular restaurant in the area.

• Visited September 2012
Indiana
“Very good breakfast.”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

just good old fashioned comfort food. Everything you would expect on a breakfast buffet in central Indiana.

Visited September 2012
Richmond, Indiana
“Out of towner”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I had higher expectations than the reality. We were passing through on a Saturday night. Yes, good comfort food buffet but less variety than a Golden Corral at about the same price point. The greeter was not helpful; server was good and friendly.

• Visited August 2012