“Great Place "But"” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The INN at DePauw & Event Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Greencastle
The INN at DePauw & Event Center
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Greencastle
Greenwood In
“Great Place "But"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2011

Our group has attended the New Year’s party here for the past 5 years, we all look forward to the excellent accommodations and first class dinner and entertainment.
This year there were no exceptions except the quality of the dinner was far below what we have been accustomed to, the dinner was simply blah, the meat was over cooked, selection was poor and presentation was similar to the local buffet.
Don’t get this review wrong, I’m writing this so the management will have an idea of how great things were in the past and hopefully correct the problems.
This year the event was far better than last year, the staff did an excellent job, everyone in our group had a wonderful time, the entertainment was fantastic and the rooms were great, just do something about the food quality. We look forward to returning next year and hopefully many more

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Greencastle, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2010

On Friday, October 29th, 2010 I was at a convention at The Inn at DePauw (formerly The Walden Inn). I stayed up late with friends and didn't get to bed until 3:00 am. I was still laying awake at 4 am when due to the light from the TV, I saw a bug scurrying across my pillow. I quickly sat up and turned the light on. Because I had just been researching bed bugs the week before, I knew without a doubt that this was a bed bug. It was the size of a typical tick and was golden brown with an obvious blood sac inside. I lifted up my pillow to see many more, mostly babies, running up and down the top end of the mattress. I grabbed my pillow and hurried to the elevator and straight to the front desk. The two guys working acted like idiots and were very unhelpful. They smashed the bug and put it in an envelope to show their manager, since they said that they couldn't disturb her at night. I was working with a women's group here in Greencastle, in charge of a convention that weekend, so thankfully my house was only 10 mins. away. I went upstairs to pack my stuff and wake my friend who was asleep in the other bed. It was quite a commotion and once home, I had to stay up to wash all of my clothes for the next day's convention activities and take a long very hot shower. When I returned to the hotel for our meeting and other events, I spoke with the manager. She insisted that they had searched our room that morning and had found an invasion of cockroaches. She said there were no bedbugs. I loudly informed her that if cockroaches were the case, then I was especially disgusted to know that I had both pests in my room, since I knew for a fact that there were bed bugs in my bed. They never would admit to having bed bugs. This hotel has gone very very downhill since being purchased by our local college. I will NEVER stay there again, and highly recommend that you don't either. They also have a very annoying dog as a mascot. We had to deal with lots of yapping, biting on our pants as we walked and poop on the carpeted hallways that none of the workers bothered to clean up for at least 20-30 mins after we told 2 or 3 of them.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
DoraHotels, General Manager at The INN at DePauw & Event Center, responded to this review, December 27, 2010
We are very sorry to hear of the experience you had at the Inn. Upon your departure, we thoroughly investigated the issue, and we were not able to confirm the presence of the alleged pests. We have not received any similar reports since your stay. We take great pride in the cleanliness of our hotel, and we have received enormous support of the increased cleanliness of the property since we assumed management on July 1, 2010. We strive to exceed our guests expectations, and we are deeply apologetic to hear of your concerns.
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2010

The Inn is a top notch hotel. We had our company christmas party at this quiet hotel right on the DePauw campus. The catered to our every need and made the night a big success. We all got to stay in the hotel that night as well and the rooms were fantastic. beds very comfortable, room very clean, very quiet as well. Customer service was top notch.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2009

We would highly recommend this place. We stayed here a Mon.& Tues night while taking in the covered bridge festival in Oct. For the price ($149 nightly), its the nicest place we've ever stayed; comfortable beds; good T.V. very friendly & helpful workers; beautiful setting & 30 min. from covered bridges. Food in Sports Bar was very good but quite a wait. If you happen to go to Rockville, don't miss eating @ Benjamins II. The breakfast (any time) & service was great!

Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
DoraHotels, Manager at The INN at DePauw & Event Center, responded to this review, August 2, 2010
Thank you for your comments! We hope you stay with us again in the future! As of July 1, 2010, the hotel is under new management. We are actively working to improve guest services to make future stays even better!
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2009

I had the wonderful pleasure of staying at the Walden Inn during Family Weekend at DePauw University. My daughter Kirstin was a freshman. I interacted with the front desk staff (Robin is wonderful!), the general manager , another manager and housekeeping. Everyone was pleasant and most helpful. They gave great recommendations for restaurants. The room was very clean and nice and the bed...awesome sheets and mattress. I would stay there every time I visit but there are usually no rooms available during popular times. The first time I stayed was in April 2008 when we came to visit the school. I must say everything about the Walden is exceptional.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your comments! As the closest hotel to DePauw University, we fill up very fast during high demand events so it's a great idea to book early. Thank you for your compliments about our staff - we really work hard to make certain every guest has a great experience. We hope you will stay with us again the next time you visit your daughter.
Poughkeepsie, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2008

I stayed here for a conference at DePauw. The room was very clean and the sheets were great! There was a nice selection of DVDs to check out at the front desk. The front desk folks were all very friendly and nice. The gym was not so great; they could add some space and machines. Came with breakfast which was good, fresh-made omlettes and other good food.

One bad thing was the first night was a little noisy because the person in the adjacent room was talking on a cell phone and it sounded like we were in the same room together. Minor irritation.

• Liked — Bed
  • Disliked — Thin door between my room and next room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for your comments - we will definitely look at providing a better selection of fitness equipment. We know how important it is for guests to keep up with their fitness routine when they are away from home. We are always looking at ways to improve and renovate our hotel in order to provide guests with a great stay. We really appreciate your feedback and hope you will stay with us again in the future.
Miami
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2007

We planned on staying two nights, Firday and Saturday night but checked out after the first night. We booked this hotel 6 months in advance hoping for a better room placement in the hotel. Are check-in experience was great, the woman at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. We proceded to our room, we were in room 213, which is the first room on the second floor next to the lobby (the hotel is designed like a split level home, so to go from the lobby to the first floor you go down 10 steps. To get to the 2nd level from the lobby you go up 10 steps from the lobby). Since 213 sits right of the lobby, we thought about requesting a room change as I am always leary of rooms so close to the lobby, but chose not too as the front desk had said the hotel was full. This weekend they had 2 conferences and a wedding in the hotel. So Friday night we went to sleep, I wasn't able to get to sleep till 1 am, because of people talking in the hallways and in the lobby talking. The doors to the hotel rooms are very thin, that we were able to hear complete conversations people were having in the lobby area. The other thing that kept us up was that the doors to the other hotel rooms around us, slam when they are closed.

So after 1 am I fell a sleep, but then at 5 am Saturday morning I was woken up by the garbage trucks outside picking up the dumpsters, I looked at the clock again at 5:30 and the garbage trucks were still outside making noise around the dumpsters. Not sure how many dumpsters are on the backside of the hotel, but they were there for 30 minutes. I finally fell back to sleep for two more hours till I heard people in the hallways and the doors slamming again.

I explained this to the staff, and they were kind enough to move us to a third floor room at the end of the hallway, but we decided to check out instead of taking a chance on not sleeping much the second night. Since the two conferences and the wedding was the second night in the hotel. When we checked out, a staff member acknowledged that the first 4-6 rooms off the lobby on the first and second floors, they have had noise complants in the past. If you stay at this hotel request rooms at the end of the hall and on Seminary Street vs. the parking lot side of the hotel.

I have to say this, the room was nicely done, with a dvd player and flat screen tv, feather bed and crisp sheets. The staff was very helpful and polite. The hotel also has a nice bar and a nice outdoor patio area to sit and read. Oh and you can check out dvd's at no extra charge to watch back in your room.

Would I stay at this hotel again, probably not just because of the noise issue, which is a shame as this is a nice hotel. I hope the hotel changes the doors to the rooms for thicker and quieter doors that do not slam shut.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank doggiebus
We are so sorry to hear about your experience. We are constantly looking at ways to improve our hotel and will do whatever possible to improve guest experiences. As of July 1, 2010, the hotel is under new management resulting in many exciting changes and updates. We hope you will try us again in the future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greencastle
Super 8 Cloverdale
Holiday Inn Express Cloverdale
No photo provided
Greencastle Inn
#2 of 3 in Greencastle

Been to The INN at DePauw & Event Center? Share your experiences!