“Staff is Great, Otherwise Very Disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Quality Inn & Suites

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Goshen
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Staff is Great, Otherwise Very Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

Spent 2 weeks here recently and was thoroughly disappointed in this Marriott property. Well then, you ask, why did I spend 2 weeks here? I am working on my Platinum, and needed the nights. That's it. I would have left the second night if not for that. The breakdown:

The good: the staff is excellent. They are professional and polite, and very friendly. I am confident that each staff member wanted to provide me with the best possible stay. The courtyard area is nice and features an indoor/outdoor pool. Some of the basic Courtyard minimums are also met: the bed is comfortable, etc. Location is fairly good, especially if you will be touring Amish country (the hotel is in the southeastern part of Goshen, right on the edge of town: the Amish are basically down the street, and the McDonalds across the street often has Amish buggys hitched up outside.)

The bad: all of the rest. I have a tiny fridge in my room, it freezes solid instead of chills and doesn't have a thermostat. The televisions are ancient, the remote is sluggish, and there are just a handful of channels available. The walls are thin, if someone is callous enough to allow their room door to swing shut behind them, without applying a bit of a brake to it, it sounds like a howitzer round. And this hotel has a LOT of callous customers. The internet is sluggish, to say the least. I have trouble playing a 480p youtube video, peak time or not. As others have mentioned, the rooms smell bad, like an old couch that has gotten soaked through once: musty and slightly nauseating (I bought some cheapy scent wax at the walmart down the street, that helped a bit). The room I have features three windows. The middle window is clean, but the flanking windows are dirty. They're dual-pane and have long ago lost their seal I guess, and consequently the inside of the window has become coated with unsightly grime. Almost all of the furnishings are old-school Marriott, although some minor updates have been made. The desk, desk chair, couch, and dresser are all old. The couch is particularly uncomfortable.

I have to go back to the clientele the hotel seems to attract: although it's possible they're a small minority, some pretty trashy people stay here regularly, the type of people that couldn't care less about the other folks in the hotel, and don't seem to mind slamming their doors constantly at 10:30 on a weeknight (as they have been doing as I've been writing this review). I suspect that the riff raff are attracted by the cheap rates here: other, newer hotels nearby (like the Hampton which is in the Courtyard's backyard) are more desirable for the business traveler, and their rates/availability reflect that fact. The Courtyard is left with the residue, and it shows.

As much as I like Marriott, if I am back in the area on business, and I probably will be one day, I will stay elsewhere.

In closing, I would like to say to the Owner/s of this hotel: "Shame on you for not being as dedicated to this hotel as your employees are."

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Zumajay
Mathew H, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Courtyard by Marriott-Goshen. We are happy that you found our staff to be "excellent" and the location to be convienient. We do apologize, though, that other aspects of the hotel failed to meet our standards and your expectations. Please know that your comments are taken into consideration for future renovations and have been reviewed for areas of improvement. It is our sincere hope that if you find yourself in the Goshen area, you would give us another oppurtunity to serve you.

Operations Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012 via mobile

I have mixed feelings about this place.

The Good: The staff is very friendly and helpful. The service from both the front desk and the breakfast staff could not have been better. The hotel is clean and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast was above average with nice crispy bacon, lots of options to choose from, and the made to order omelet perfect. The fresh popcorn in the lobby is also a nice touch. Although it is an older tub, the jacuzzi in-suite was marvelous and was in excellent working order.

The Bad: No elevator? Seriously, who builds a multi-level hotel without putting in an elevator? ASK FOR A GROUND FLOOR ROOM. If I had brought more than a carryon bag this trip, it would have been difficult to drag it up the double flight of stairs. There is a cloying smell of too much air freshener in the hallways and room which gives the impression they are trying to cover the musty old smell. If you wish to use the pool or hot tub, be prepared to sit in a goldfish bowl. The only thing separating the pool area from the front desk and lobby is a glass wall.

The Ugly: The television in my suite had not yet been upgraded to a flat screen and it was so old that the white snowy lines made it not worth watching. The whole place does need to be brought the rest of the way out of the 80s because it looks old, sad, and tired.

Summary: Comfortable, affordable, good service, if you don't mind stepping back in time or being on display in your bathing suit.

Stayed April 2012
4 Thank UntamedAZlady
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Courtyard by Marriott-Goshen. We are happy that you found our staff to be "very friendly and helpful" and the hotel clean and comfortable. We strive to be the cleanliest and friendliest hotel! We do apologize, though, that other aspects of the hotel failed to meet your expectations. Please know that your comments are taken into consideration for future improvements. It is our sincere hope that if you find yourself in the Goshen area again, you will give us another oppurtunity to serve you.

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2011

After reading some of the negative reviews I was skeptical about this property but it was great! New beds, clean room, and friendly staff. We have stayed there before and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: The room had a couch and refrigerator. Didn't have free breakfast though but McDonalds and lots...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are thrilled your stay at Courtyard by Marriott-Goshen was a great experience. We are pleased you found the rooms clean and the staff friendly. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Goshen.

Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

This is the exception to the Courtard norm. The rooms are dated and warn. The whole place is in need of an upgrade. The rooms are clean enough, but it's just not comfortable. It's dreary, the walls, floors, ceiling and drapes should have been replaced years ago. I was disappointed that this place carried the Courtyard brand. I depend on the brand and usually select the courtyard over other properties because they are consistently clean and comfortable. Also, this place reaked of carpet deodorizer. I had to wash everything that I brought to the room to get rid of the smell. The staff was nice, the room was cheap, and breakfast was pretty good, but I would encourage you to stay at the new holiday inn express up the street if you're visiting Goshen.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the Hampton so you can get access to the Hamptons wifi.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Thomas F
goshengm, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,
I do apologize for your less than enjoyable stay and find it very troubling that you had such problems. You will be glad to know however, that we have just placed brand new pillow top mattresses in nearly all of our rooms and they are nice! We will also be receiving new flat screen TV's in all of our rooms and several other updates in the very near future. We are still Goshen's premier hotel and hope you will give us a second chance on your next visit. We are carrying on in the Marriott tradition of excellence that have made Marriott an internationally recognized name for 83 years and counting. Have a great day.

Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2011

After reading all of the reviews, many of which were quite negative, we were worried, but since we didn't feel we wanted to change reservations at the last minute, we went ahead, and were glad we did.

The rooms, bathroom, hallways, lobby, pool, and other areas were extremely clean and pleasant. We had absolutely no concerns at all about cleanliness. Breakfast was advertised prominently as costing a certain amount, so we were expecting that. The buffet was very good and the service very attentive.

The only thing we would have liked was WiFi in the room. It was available in the lobby, so we took our computers there to use. Our grandchildren enjoyed the inside pool, since it was pretty cold outside and the outdoor pool wasn't available. We liked the popcorn machine in the lobby, the availability of tea or coffee there, and the helpfulness of the desk staff. They were great at answering all our questions.

Others have mentioned the lack of an elevator, but this didn't bother us. Going up one flight didn't seem very difficult.

We had 10 people with us for a family reunion and everyone was quite satisfied with the accomodations.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues, you may want to choose a room on the first floor, since there is no ele...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Northstar35
goshengm, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Thank you for your feedback and we can't wait to see you on your next visit to Central Indiana, and hope you all the best between now and then!
Belleville, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2011

Travel alot and this is the first hotel that I have stayed at in the past 10 years that didn't have a fridge, should have asked. Bed was like sleeping on a rock, shower head was broke had to tie a towel around it to keep water in shower. Looked like mold in the shower my girlfriend wouldn't go near it. Pool was freezing they don't believe in heating it. You also have to pay extra for breakfast each morning, I have seen this before however it is at hotels with restraunts not just a couple warmers on a table. Told the person at the desk when checking out and told he was getting right on it as he stood there in front of me with a smirk.

Room Tip: don't stay here you will regret it. Go somewhere that cares for your bussiness.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
I am very sorry to hear about your experience and do hope you will contact me on your next visit and be my personal guest in one of our suites. We do have regrigerators available upon request and have recently received new pillow top mattresses (you will be glad to know). Additionally we are in the process of retiling and updating our bathroom showers and tubs. Our pool is kept at a constant 82 degrees as is required by Marriott and we have gourmet made to order omeletes, eggs and french toast available in addition to the buffet daily. I am sorry my staff was not more empathetic upon your check out and I look forward to hosting you and your family as my guest on your next visit. All the best between then and now and I thank you for your honest feedback.

New York City
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

Not up to Courtyard (Marriott) standards.
Room A/C did not work well
Hotel had a "perfume" smell to it.
Hallway carpet smelled from chemicals (too much rug shampoo?)
Heated indoor poll wasn't heated
Had reservations for 2 nights..checked out after one.
Front desk personnel were very nice.

Room Tip: Stay on 1st floor...2 floors ....no elevators
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
As I have mentioned to other guests who have shared some of your concerns, I agree we were badly in need of some updates. But you will be glad to know we have just received a semi full of beautiful brand new pillow top mattresses, flat screen TV's are on the way and we are ordering the new tiles for the guest showers and bathrooms as we speak! As for the odor, I regret to tell you it was all a result of poor timing on my part as I had just had all the hallway carpets shampood in preparation for the busy week of your stay. So I understand your concerns, I do hope you will give us another chance though and I would encourage everyone visiting the Goshen area to come and see the hotel for yourself prior to making a decision based off of your poor experience. I look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Goshen and all the best to you between then and now, I thank you for your feedback to help make us better.
Derrick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goshen
Hampton Inn Goshen
Brook Pointe Inn
Brook Pointe Inn
#2 of 2 in Syracuse
Blue Gate Garden Inn - Shipshewana Hotel

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!