“UGH”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Goshen
Dover, Ohio
“UGH”
Reviewed June 10, 2011

This hotel is out-dated and tired. I noted the other comments stating that the staff was friendly; however I only encountered once such soul. My first room was filthy and the bed was as hard as a rock. I moved the next night to what appeared to be the cleaner side of the facility but suffered the wrath of the neighbor’s toddlers! I absolutely agree that this Courtyard does not hold up to Marriott standards and I even called Marriott to discuss this. They simply referred me to the hotel manager who never returned my call. He emailed me (I am a rewards member and email is on file) and stated that he was sorry and would give me 2,000 bonus reward points. While I am appreciative, I am simply disappointed. I give it my best effort to always stand by Marriott and use their facilities when I travel, however I will not be returning here. It is a shame because I will be now frequently traveling to this area. I hope this helps someone else. I never complain and typically rave about Marriott. What a letdown! To add one more thing, the internet is only wired in the rooms!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed June 6, 2011

This hotel is a little outdated, but the staff make up for it. The front desk help was always very friendly and showed that they cared for their guests.

Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Euless, Texas
Reviewed June 2, 2011

If you are a diehard Marriott point collector like me and will stay in any Marriott property for the points and stays, then this Courtyard is your only option. Otherwise stay at the new Holiday Inn!

This is an old hotel gone under and purchased by Marriott Properties. the Rooms are dirty, the plumbing is old and the bathrooms are poorly maintained. The room service does the bare minimum and will not change the sheets unless you request it.

The staff is polite and friendly, The breakfast is geriatrics food.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 6, 2011

The hotel rooms are in need of a serious update. I can't understand why central AC units aren't the first thing to be installed! The main reason for my review, however, is to comment on the restaurant service. The morning server was rude by anyone's standards, and definitely not the first person you want greeting you in the morning. I was taken aback by how fast she shoved my check in front of me. I hadn't even sat down from the breakfast bar! I am a very frequent business traveler (80% of the month) but I guarantee that the next time I return to Goshen, it will not be to this property.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
goshengm, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 7, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,
I am extremely sorry to hear that you did not feel your stay was up to Marriott standards. I assure you, we are carrying on in the Marriott tradition of excellence that has made Marriott an internationally recognized name associated with excellence around the world for over eighty years. The Courtyard by Marriott in Goshen is Indiana Amish Country's premier hotel. We have achieved consistently high marks on various Marriott property inspections. Please contact me on your next visit to the area and I will see to it that your next stay is a better one and will be at a special manager discount. My apologies and I hope to hear from you.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed January 18, 2011

The Courtyard by Marriott Goshen proved to be a very nice stay. The property is well maintained, the room was clean and comfortable and the staff very accommodating. I would definitely book a room again at the Courtyard. Reviews that reflect individual idiosyncrasies when traveling should be taken for what they are worth. When traveling, you are not at your home - you are sharing a property with other people who may bring bad manners, etc. The fact that you might not have the perfect wireless environment, etc. may influence your decision on a property - but, give me a clean room, nice staff and a warm friendly environment like the Courtyard by Marriott Goshen - and we will be back every time to enjoy! Kudos to Alan - the Night Auditor for his help checking in and out - and thanks for your friendly manner!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KCinIndiana
goshengm, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 6, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feed back, we here at the Courtyard by Marriott in Goshen appreciate your business and can't wait to see you on your next visit to the Goshen area.

Derrick
Citizen of life
Reviewed July 22, 2010

The rooms are clean and the staff tries to be friendly and helpful, but this hotel just doesn't cut it. Was told 4 days in a row that the wired internet connection in my room would be fixed, it never was. They compensated us with breakfast vouchers (typical hot breakfast found at most upscale hotels, difference is they charge $7 for it instead of including it with the room like most others.) Had to ask for them each morning at the front desk and explain why I was supposed to be getting them, had one desk jockey try to make me feel bad for getting them! I reminded him that I would much rather have internet access than BREAKFAST!!! Beds are rock hard, no fridge, microwave, etc. Just not what I expect from a Marriott property. Plenty of other acceptable choices in the area, get 1 of those instead.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Washington, DC
Reviewed November 28, 2009

This hotel is not a standard "Courtyard," in that it wasn't built using the Courtyard prototype. Instead, the Courtyard program has been adapted to a pre-existing building, built (I would conjecture) in the 1970's.

The exterior has a sort of modern Scandinavia-meets-Adirondack lodge look, with flagstone pillars and rough-sawn, dark brown painted siding, and ribbons of windows. It stands out in a positive way among the banal sprawlscape of Highway 33 ("Lincolnway").

The interiors represent a somewhat awkward marriage of Courtyard standards and the pre-existing "Adirondack Moderne." The furnishings are generic--fairly new, basically comfortable, certainly clean, but not the slightest bit stylish or distinctive.

Not surprisingly for an older property, this hotel performed very poorly when it comes to acoustic separation. The demising partitions blocked remarkably little of the neighbors' noise; plumbing was noisy; and the doors blocked remarkably little of the hall noise.

After falling asleep somewhat early on my second night, I was awakened by a family with toddlers moving into the adjacent room. I could hear everything--I can even tell you the boys' names. I got dressed, went to the front desk, and asked to switch rooms. The employee was extremely accommodating and efficient. He made a point of checking the rooms adjacent to the available rooms for potentially noisy guest groups. He gave me a free breakfast voucher (otherwise it's $6.95 for a rather good and copious buffet). He offered to assist moving my stuff. I switched rooms at about midnight.

The noise level in the second room was okay, but this was really only because the neighboring rooms had single occupants who (like me) spent little time there. I could still clearly hear their phones ring, a snatch of TV, when they showered, etc.

There is an indoor-outdoor pool, as advertised. The outdoor part is closed in the winter. The indoor part isn't large, and one "sunbathes" under an acoustic tile ceiling with 2' x 2' fluorescent lights, like one would find in an open office. But there is a hot tub (indoor) and it was a pleasant amenity.

One modest surprise: no elevator. If you're on the second floor, you lug your baggage up & down the stairs. Not a big deal to me, as I pack light and am fit, but I saw several guests struggling. (Given the excellent service, I expect that these guests were offered but refused assistance, as I did.)

From what I could determine, Goshen has no hotel/motel offerings other than the mid- to low-market brands of national chains. One, the Holiday Inn Express, is a very recent building, built to the national prototypical standard. Therefore it might be expected to have better acoustic separations (this is something hotel architects figured out in the 1990's). I cannot personally vouch for it one way or the other; however, I will probably give it a try next time I'm in Goshen. The Courtyard's lack of acoustic separation is a very serious problem to me.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Skidrowe3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goshen
Hampton Inn Goshen
Blue Gate Garden Inn - Shipshewana Hotel
Brook Pointe Inn
Brook Pointe Inn
#2 of 2 in Syracuse

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!