“Customer service to the Max!”
Review of Kelly Jae's Cafe

Kelly Jae's Cafe
Ranked #4 of 89 Restaurants in Goshen
Cuisines: American, Fusion
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
MI&FL
“Customer service to the Max!”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Found this restaurant on Trip Advisor so when 4 of us were headed for the Glen Campbell performance @ the Elkhart Cty Fair we planned to have dinner there. When we found that we had a time crunch, I called, gave them our order and eta. They even suggested wines to go with our choices. As we walked in, our food was coming out of the kitchen! Excellent food, even better customer service! I envy the Goshen residents having this restaurant in their hometown!

Visited August 2012

Toronto, Canada
“Outstanding in every way”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I just returned to the hotel after a spectacular dinner at Kelly Jae's Cafe in downtown Goshen, and I honestly don't even know where to start. What a wonderful restaurant! You step inside and the interior decor sets a perfect tone with the relaxed atmosphere. Reclaimed brick on the walls and a magnificent old tin roof suggest a time when none of our meals came in paper bags or from mega-chains with clowns as their official mascot. Tables are set far enough apart you're not rubbing elbows with your neighbor or hearing every word of their conversation. Some nice music - easy to hear but never loud enough to get in the way - completes the picture.

I arrived early, so I wasn't too surprised to be greeted and seated promptly. But within about 15 minutes of my arrival, it was clear there weren't many tables still available. This restaurant fills up fast - with locals - which is always a good sign. I chose a Caesar salad, followed by a peppercorn steak and a side of roast potatoes. The salad was much better than I had expected, with what appeared to be fine slices of freshly toasted baguette in place of the expected croutons. With the fresh cheese shavings, it was excellent. But, it was just the beginning.

What truly blew me away was the entree, in this case the peppercorn crusted strip steak. It comes with a mushroom-brandy cream sauce splashed over top. If you like steak, just go on and order it - and get yourself a glass of Zinfandel or Cab Merlot to go with it. The steak was cooked exactly as I had asked, and the mushroom cream sauce was simply mind-blowing. I'm not normally a fan of cream sauces on a steak, but this changes everything. I stopped short of actually licking the plate, but to be honest, the thought did cross my mind. It really was that good.

All the while I dined, I was constantly attended to by my server and the busboys. The rest of the restaurant was almost full by the time I began my entree, yet I still felt like I was the only customer in the place. Perfect.

Desert and coffee .... then the bill comes. Uh-oh! I checked it once, twice, and yup, it was accurate - just $55, including starter, entree, sides, wine, desert and coffee. I've eaten a lot of meals that cost a whole lot more than that, and weren't anywhere near as good. It's obviously not cheap, but not terribly expensive either, and a wonderful value when you consider what you just got in return.

I was there solo (business trip) but you could see from the other diners that Kelly Jae's is very popular with couples and the after-work crowd. It would be fine for a family with teenagers, probably less so for those with toddlers. Reservations aren't necessary, but are a good idea, especially later in the week.

Kelly Jae's is far and away my favourite restaurant in Goshen. If you're in town looking for a place for a casual yet elegant meal, go and enjoy. It really doesn't get any better than this. Wonderful experience, and I can't wait to repeat.

• Visited July 2012
Michigan
“Tops in Goshen”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Fresh ingredients, imaginative dishes, great combinations, even lovely dishes and dinnerware make this meal an experience from start to finish. Nice (but not long) wine list and drink selections compliment creative appetizers. Although some call it a tapas restaurant, the portions are not tapas size, but dinner portions -- although you might want to share dishes just so you can try more of the offerings! The meal is even nicer on evenings when there is live music, such as the night we went and enjoyed the music of The Box Set.

• Visited May 2012
Charleston, South Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible service! Would not survuve it if there was other competition”
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I have eaten at Kelly Jae's approximately 5 times since their opening. The last visit resulted in us getting up and leaving after 10" of sitting at our table without being asked if we would like drinks or appetizers(How do you feel how i felt when i asked my mother to get up and leave on her Mother's day dinner)? The service has never been great, but the food is good and you have to drive to South Bend to find a comparable menu.

I struggle to find why the owners feel it is acceptable to be the only person who takes orders. At least in the early days they had a few servers. I know they what us to believe how personable it is for the owner to serve the guests but seriously, this only works when you have a handful of tables. I have it narrowed down to greed or control and am heavingly leaning on greed.

As much as i love to support local businesses, I refuse to go out and spend a few hundreds dollars to celebrate a special occasion and not receive the expected level of service that come with this type of menu.

I hope you avoid this place too and they will come to realize they should not take the Goshen market for granted.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Mark P
Osceola, Indiana
“Who would have guessed...”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

...that such interesting and good food would be found on Main Street in Goshen? I don't get to Goshen for dinner very often but I have been here a few times before, with business colleagues and another couple. Each time we had a great time going over the details of the menu and noting the unusual offerings, unique flavorings and parings. The restaurant building itself is quaint, eclectic and comfortable. The service was friendly, helpful and prompt (our desert was late but I'm convinced it was an anomaly). I was pleasantly surprised that they were offering a bottle of selected white or red wine for $10...apparently Kelly Jae looks for an exceptional wine at an exceptional price to offer for this special...it understandably changes periodically and is a great way to try different wines. Leftover wine gets corked to take home. Love it! - The crab/corn chowder was outstanding. The grouper special was good. The sweet potato side was tasty with curiously-incorporated mild sausage...duck?...and plenty for 2 to share. While the chicken skewers were thankfully not overcooked, the sauce was just OK, but the accompanying potato salad was terrific. I know it's strange to go ga-ga over potato salad...but it just tripped my trigger. We very much enjoyed the hot apple tart for desert. For two people, $90 (including gratuity), seemed just a little high but it's good food and a classy place without pomp. We will continue to enjoy Kelly Jae's as our favorite Goshen restaurant.

• Visited April 2012