“Third floor reeked of cigarette smoke”

Holiday Inn Express Gas City
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Gas City
Alpha Ohio
“Third floor reeked of cigarette smoke”
Reviewed May 14, 2011

Having stayed here in previous years, we thought this to be a safe place to stay, but something has changed: perhaps they have new management, perhaps they have fallen on hard times.

THE BUILDING SMELLS OF SMOKE EVERYWHERE AND THE THIRD FLOOR ABSOLUTELY REEKS.

We will be back in this area this winter, but I will be looking for a different place to stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
HIEGasCity, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gas City, responded to this review, May 16, 2011
Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention. We are in the process of changing out some of our smoking rooms to non-smoking in an attempt to eliminate the smoky smell on the third floor. You are a valued guest and I certainly do not want you to stay at another hotel. I would consider it an honor if you would decide to give us another chance next time you are in the area. If you do decide to give us another try, please contact me directly at 765-674-6664, so I can ensure that be put you on a non-smoking floor. Thanks again for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Alpha Ohio
Reviewed December 17, 2010

Having stayed here previously, my wife of 47 years and I knew what to expect as far as the facility is concerned, but we were pleasantly surprised at the aggressively friendly staff... they actually seemed to care, not in a "have a nice day" kind of superficiality, but more with concern that we were pleased and would speak well of them.

With the "free" breakfast, you pretty much get what you paid for, and while it was a bit off-putting to find tip envelopes in the room, and while attention to vacuuming could be improved, on the whole these folks seem to want to do a decent job.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed October 4, 2010

Stayed a couple of nights in a handicap-accessible room with two queen beds because we didn't want our "smoking king-size bed room". The beds were really comfortable. The room was simple with a TV, dresser, and a chair/desk. No microwave oven or fridge. Wife was glad to have a hair dryer in the bathroom, along with an iron and board. Oh yeah, there was a coffee maker in the room as well.
Breakfast was adequate, enough choices to satisfy almost anybody. The pool is not very big and only 4-1/2' deep. The fitness room has two treadmills and an exercise bike.
Overall, not a bad place to stay. Even though our room was non-smoking, the hallways still smelled a bit "smoky". There is speedway nearby that has races on Friday nights April-September and the roar is heard in the hotel parking lot, but once we got inside, I forgot all about it (unless, perhaps, you crack open the window).
Not much nearby, except for gas stations and fast food.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank martyman13
HIEGasCity, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gas City, responded to this review, October 5, 2010
Thank you for staying at our hotel. It is our goal to exceed the expectations of our guests. I am disappointed that we did not exceed your expectations. If you are ever in Grant County for any reason please contact me directly, so I can have an opportunity to make your next stay better than your last stay. I really hope that you decide to give us another try because I am confident that we will be able to give you better service and a better value than you will be able to find at any other hotel. Thank you for your feedback.

Jared Salecker
Holiday Inn Express
Gas City, Indiana
Michigan
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Hotel was clean. Rooms were large and spacious. Staff was very friendly.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank DonMichigan
Minnesota
Reviewed June 9, 2010

This is a very clean hotel with great staff and a very good breakfast. We stayed 4 nights and very much enjoyed our stay. The only reason I did not give it a 5 star rating for cleanliness was because there was smoking allowed at the hotel. I am not sure where it was allowed but our floor did have smokers and the hallway absolutely reeked. It smelled in our room if we turned on the bathroom fan and we did put a towel along the bottom of the door to try to keep some of that out, but it was not a huge problem overall. I think they are going to be smoke free very soon and that will be perfect! There is a Starbucks practically in the parking lot (they need to put a footbridge over the little drainage ditch for easier access!). Very nearby is a wonderful little restaurant called Paynes and we had coffee and lunch there every day. Next time we stay we will try to find all of the Garfield statues in Grant County - We will be back!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MNClean
HIEGasCity, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gas City, responded to this review, August 19, 2010
Thank you for your kind words. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed May 10, 2010

My husband and I stayed for two nights at this hotel for my master's graduation at IWU. We had to book a smoking room with king-size bed and jacuzzi because of the availability; however, I had emailed and the manager assured me that they would do their best to air out the room. The room was clean and comfortable and the breakfast offered a lot of options. The coffee was acceptable-but not the greatest-that was OK because a Starbuck's was an easy walk located directly in front of the hotel.

I took a can of febreeze to freshen up the room during our stay. I also used my laptop and was provided a USB cable for internet access which was adequate for our purposes. The jacuzzi in the room was nice and functioned well. The pool and hot tub on the first floor was clean and several families used it during our stay.

The staff seemed a little reserved but were very helpful. We would definitely stay there once again when my husband completes his degree. In our opinion, it is one the nicer hotels in the area. I will take my own pillows next time because the four on the bed were not as fluffy or comfortable as we would have liked.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed April 29, 2010

Graduation weekend - no other available hotel rooms in the area. Checked in last night. Went to work out in the morning and found the advertised work-out room closed for repairs after water leak. Went to front desk for help. Was told that no arrangements had been made for guests to workout in another nearby hotel or gym. Had to run the hallways and stairs for an hour to work-out. Tonight went to front desk to try to access the treadmills, which had been put in storage and was told that was impossible. Was directed to fill out a hospitality promise survey card. Made it very clear to staff that this stay has not been satisfactory and was told to speak to the general manager who will not be back to work until the day we check out. Other arrangements should have been made for guests who want to workout during their stay. Will not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

#1 of 5 in Marion
Americas Best Value Inn and Suites Marion
Hampton Inn & Suites Muncie
Courtyard Muncie at Horizon Convention Center

Been to Holiday Inn Express Gas City? Share your experiences!