“Just look at the picture!”

Michael Jackson Family Home
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Gary
Richmond Virginia
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Just look at the picture!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

I grew up in Gary Indiana not far from that house and trust me--do not go to visit Gary Indiana unless you have been to every ghetto in the world and just cannot get enough of Ghetto tourism. There is not one redeeming thing about Gary. It used to have some great people but they all moved out.

Visited May 2013
9 Thank Dougthelebaneseguy

Las Vegas, Nevada
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 192 helpful votes
“Sure, it's in Gary, Indiana. . . what do you expect, guys? Still worth it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

I can't help but laugh at the negative reviews here. Oh no! It's in a bad neighborhood! The shock! The horror!

Of course it's not in Beverly Hills. . . that's the whole point. To go to this house is to see the incredibly humble beginnings of the Jackson family. To see the tiny (and I do mean tiny) home where nine children were raised and trained for superstardom.

And honestly, while it's not the world's best neighborhood, I can't stop laughing at some of the folks here pretending you're in the South Side or Compton or something. The neighborhood is older, it's a bit run down, but you're not going to find yourself in the middle of some gang shoot out.

For me, I'm a huge MJ fan and it was super cool and super humbling to see where the Jackson family came from. I've been to Neverland, I've seen MJ's house in Vegas, and to compare those places to this tiny shack of a house is just astonishing. Even if they didn't grow up to be superstars, just imagining nine children being raised in such a tiny home is amazing to me. It really puts privilege in perspective. Plus, for any fan, to say you've actually been to 2300 Jackson Street (THEY LIVED ON JACKSON STREET, I MEAN, COME ON!) is kind of amazing.

Visited March 2013
16 Thank ThisPlceHsEverything
Indiana
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“So What!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

Don't waste your time going here. This place is in a bad neighborhood and is a depressing sight. Nothing to see but a small run down house in a run down area. If you are expecting Neverland, you will be very disappointed.

Visited December 2013
5 Thank IndianaDriver
Gary, Indiana
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“MJ boyhood home.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

It's just a small house, and some makeshift fan shrines. Only for the hardcore fan. You can walk around, but you cannot enter the house.

The neighborhood is BAD. In a high crime area! (I have lived in Gary, IN. 40 years) If you travel in a group, or keep your doors locked. You should be ok.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank BusySteelBoy
Ewing, New Jersey, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A cool thing to see, but don't stay long!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

I was on a road trip to Oklahoma and didn't realize how close I was to the Jackson Family home, as it was always something I wanted to see. So we got off the exit and boy oh boy that neighborhood is not so nice. I live close to Trenton, NJ so I have seen the hood, but this is a deserted hood and those walking around are scary as anything. But I am naive and thought hey! Let's get out of the car! Took some pictures and called it a day. The school behind looks like a prison. But its something unique and cool to see!

Visited May 2013