“Better if You're a Big MJ Fan”

Michael Jackson Family Home
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Gary
Madison, Wisconsin
110 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 121 helpful votes
“Better if You're a Big MJ Fan”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

It was interesting to see the small house and know that a mega superstar like Michael Jackson comes from such humble beginnings. But, you probably need to be a pretty big MJ fan to feel like it's a worthwhile stop. I was passing through the area, and it's very close to the interstate, so am glad I did it. But, it would be hard to recommend that someone come from far away only to visit it. All you can do it see it - you can't go in. And, as other posts have said, this isn't the nicest part of Gary, IN, so I could see a few people not feeling comfortable in the neighborhood.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Mathyew

Gary, Indiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Visitation to the Michael Jackson's childhood home”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My first teaching experience in Gary was an elementary school. Michael was my Music student. I visited his home when it was first open to the public.
It is a very small house. It so good to see a person do well after living in a small house and he was able to succeed. The rooms are small and the house is closed in a tall black-iron fence. He was able to rehearse and practice his dance routines in this house.
At the present time the house us unoccupied. You can not see the inside.

Visited January 2013
4 Thank Anita H
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“May as well rate it the best overall!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I'm flabbergasted by all the attention on this small house located in the hood. Much of Gary IS the hood. I was born & raised there. The city was a lively place at one time & some residents had hopes of it getting better, but it's still declining. I remember I couldn't get a kind look, let alone a kind word about Gary once I told an outsider where I was from. It didn't make national news that ANY of the Jackson's visited Gary, although some did. I don't EVER remember so many non-residents of the city, especially those of non-color wanting to make a special trip to Gary, especially inside one of the neighborhoods. Now that MJ is gone, GARY, IN is a MUST SEE! Gimme a break! The neighborhood residents should make visitors pay a toll to drive through.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank rhondacee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Don't waste your time”
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

I'm a bit amazed at the reviews here. Please understand. THERE IS NOTHING TO SEE HERE except a postage stamp-sized house (no access to the interior). The most interesting aspect of it is to ponder how more than two people were ever able to occupy space simultaneously.

This site is about 5 miles from my house. I drove by once out of curiosity. I still think I wasted my gas money.

Visited August 2012
3 Thank Dunewalker1
Waseca
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Turned into something more than anticipated”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Stopping by Michael Jackson's family home was a very unique experience on a typical autumn day with no significance in Mr. Jackson's personal history. I was impressed by the people I met and talked with outside the fenced yard. Whether they were fans, tourists, a neighbor, or even a Jackson family friend, they were all amazingly warm and kind people of all ages, races, and national origins. This was not the short drive-by activity I had anticipated. I later realized this was one of those unplanned times that brings a connection to something much larger and an awareness of the incredible humanity that exists.

Visited September 2012