“Unattractive”

Majestic Star Casino
Ranked #8 of 9 things to do in Gary
More attraction details
Owner description: Gaming resort complex features more than 1,700 video and reel slots plus a variety of table games including Blackjack, Mini-Baccarat, Craps and Roulette.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The casino is very dirty. The video poker machines are old especially on the Majestic Star 1 side. One could break their hand trying to push the buttons. Some buttons do not lock in the cards and every so often, one will lose a good hand because of it. The machines are very tight especially on the progressive machines on Majestic 2 side. The place is smokey and stinks to high heaven. If you are a non-smoker, plan on taking off your clothes when you get home as the stench is aweful. BTW, the clientelle is extremely rude especially when it comes to smoking. They will literally blow smoke in one's face. Cigarette ashes are all over the machines and floor. Ash trays exist but are not used.
A truly awesome experience (NOT).

4  Thank lemonaid73

Reviewed July 12, 2013

This is my first and last visit to Majestic Star's buffet. The food selection is limited, especially for a vegetarian, and the salad bar is weak. The salad green mix severed was awful! The staff was very pleasant and attentive.

2  Thank CatoMtsio
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I've been to several casinos in Illinois, Indiana and Michigan. Despite the negative reviews, I like this one best. I can only comment on the slots and buffet. I haven't played table games or stayed in the hotel. We have had more slot hits at this boat than any others. We also move around until we find one that's paying...we don't just pour money into a machine that's in a tight cycle. Sure, we still lose more often than win, but that's gambling. Our money seems to last longer here. I know the place is run-down, somewhat dirty (especially the carpets). But I'd rather have winning machines than super cool surroundings. I find the staff and customers here nicer than at other casinos.
There are a lot of interesting locals worth people watching. The buffet is average, not bad. I can always find something I like. The washrooms are kept pretty clean overall. I don't smoke, but it's my choice to inhale it I guess (you can always move to another area). I just wish they'd wipe down some of the dirty slot machines, but I guess they can't help is some customers are pigs.

2  Thank Coppington13
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

To start off with, I usually go in to casinos' with $200. Usually if you don't 'hit' by then you probably won't win. I usually go for the high limits slots which they had quite a few of them ($5) ones all of which were ' super tight'. I played the right side first. Lost $400 just like that. Within 25 minutes. Disgusted I threw my player's club card out then on a Whim I went to left side called Majestic Star 2. People told me thats the won to win on which I did. Played Wheel of Fortune $1 slots after withdrawing another $80. Hit $200 then hit $480. Could've walked out with $627 but got greedy and lost it all. Don't go to this one! Slots are way better tight. Better off at Hollywood Casino in Joliet, IL.

2  Thank yaacovlev7