“Nice Getaway”

French Lick Springs Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in French Lick
Reviewed December 16, 2010

French Lick was a nice getaway. The rooms were fairly large with a spotless bathroom and well decorated. The lobby was grand and the pool (indoor AND outdoor) was nice. It was nice to walk back and forth to the casino. I did kill a couple of bugs and it lacked a minibar.

My only complaint were the food options. They have a very expensive steak place which I am sure it good but way too over priced. We ended up eating at the buffet which was horrible. I really wished I had looked at the buffet before paying money because there wasn't anything on it that looked or tasted good. Big waste of money. The pizza place was equally horrible. the pizza crust was barely done and sloppy. The poolside had some decent sandwiches but they were over priced.

With some better or reasonable food options, this place would be a gem. If I go back, I think I would take a cooler with some sandwiches.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris H

Reviewed December 4, 2010

My group of 54 Seniors and I enjoyed our two-night stay at the very beautiful French Lick Hotel in French Lick, Indiana, on a little three-day Christmas motorcoach tour, December 1-2-3, 2010. As ever, a most beautiful historic property, especially this time of the year, when it's decked out in all its Christmas finery. The lobby is amazing, the trees and other decorations just beautiful! The strains of Christmas carols fill the air in the gardens, which is very nice early in the evening, but kind of annoying at night when you're trying to fall asleep, especially if your window is open for a little fresh air. Lots of upscale shopping on the promenade at the Resort, several good dining options, and of course, the casino at the far end of the resort, which is a nice optional activity for those members of the group who choose to do a little gaming.

Our first night's dinner at the Grand Colonnade at the resort was good, offering a nice assortment of salads, entrees - including prime rib - sides, and desserts. Something to satisfy nearly everyone's tastes. Then my group and I enjoyed breakfast on the morning of our third day at the tres chic Cafe Sinclair at their sister property, the West Baden. We enjoyed a long, leisurely, and very delicious off-the-menu breakfast. No complaints at all from my people . . . the food was excellent and the ambience was very elegant.

We did experience a few glitches with the French Lick Resort on this visit, though. Most of the rooms are quite nice - vintage and spacious - and the cheese and fruit platter welcoming me to my room was a very nice touch! But I had to change my room - I didn't find this room particularly warm and comfortable, half of the view from the one small window in the room was a brick wall, and the bathroom was very tiny. (They have lots of rooms at this property, so don't hesitate to speak up and ask for another room if yours doesn't suit your needs.) I didn't find the bed to be particularly comfortable, either - too hard for my comfort, and no feather pillows.

The bell staff could use a little help - some of our guests' luggage still wasn't delivered to their rooms after nearly an hour and a half after we arrived, which is really unacceptable. And one lady's luggage was mistakenly delivered to the unoccupied room above hers. The lady didn't get her bag until the next morning. Some of the folks in the Housekeeping Department at this elegant property need to be retrained and their work checked and followed-up better, too. I'm a stickler for impeccable cleanliness in my room, especially the bathroom. But a little dust, smudges on the underside of the glass on the desk, a dirty sink around the faucet in the bathroom, grungy rubber bathtub mat, and dirty glasses caused me to speak with the housekeeping manager before we left. A little tip . . . be sure to check the drinking glasses in your room and remember to wash them yourself before you use them.

Still one of our favorite properties, and I'd surely recommend a visit to this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed December 4, 2010

The exterior of the hotel is grand, but it ends there. The room ($200.00 a night) had not been cleaned in months. The bedcover had cigarette burns; nonsmoking room, and the carpet had burned holes. The furniture was untouchable, so dirty and dusty. The coffee caddy was filthy. The bathroom had leftover "stuff" on the walls, shower walls, and vanity. So disappointed. The employees need to be paid more wages so they can present a clean, professional appearance. The servers in the Colonnade Dining Room were nasty, clothes were dirty. We were there for breakfast. Loved the area, but will save up my money and stay at West Baden the next time.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Scarlett3343
Reviewed November 12, 2010

We have gambled at this casino before but never stayed because the prices are so high! We were able to comp a free night during the week and took it. I read reviews about the small rooms so wasn't expecting much, but after our check in with a very polite man we opened our door to an absolutely BEAUTIFUL room!! I don't think it was a suite but it was king size with beautiful floor to ceiling windows. The bed was one of the softest beds I have slept in! I couldn't have been happier with the rooms! Walked down to the bowling alley and had a slice of pizza and bowled a game, great pizza! Had lunch at the winery right down the road, which they also serve at the resort, amazing wine!! Had a great night and will be going back! Just hope they can start dropping their prices every so often so its a little more affordable!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kentuckygirl99
Reviewed November 8, 2010

My husband and I took a quick trip to French Lick for an anniversary/first time away from the baby trip. The hotel was very nice, large rooms with high ceilings. Staff was very accommmodating. The resort has a lot of accommodations - just on a much smaller scale; pool, kids area, gym, casino, ice cream shop, spa, a handful of restaurants, etc.

Used a summer deal which got us a free night stay and $250 credit. The credit was great as the food at the resort is fairly high priced for a southern Ind. We ate about half of the meals at the hotel and the others off of the grounds and used the full credit.

Favorite part of the trip were the rocking chairs on the veranda. A bottle of wine, warm summer breezes, wonderful!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank MECave
Reviewed November 3, 2010

When this hotel was renovated, it was beautiful. The main lobby still maintains it grandeur but the rooms are "tired"--caulking in the bathroom, plaster falling in the room...just rather expensive for what it is. But...can't beat location , free attendant parking, free WIFI and one of the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in.
Ate at the 1854 ( I think that is the name) in the hotel. Prime rib was mediocre at best and the service was awful...felt like we were being ignored the entire time we were there.
French LIck could use a hotel somewhere between this and the Comfort Inn.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cshaw049
Reviewed November 1, 2010

Spent the Halloween weekend with teen son at FLR. Room was very small...no tub, just shower. EVERYTHING...and I mean everything was way overpriced for what you received. Food at 1875 for three of us was over 400.00...no liquor or wine. Breakfast at the buffet was horrible so we thought we would try room service last morning...get this...54.00 for Eggs Benedict for two and two glasses of milk. It was SOOO bad we could not even eat it! Casino was a bust. Beer was 5.00 a bottle. Top Shelf drink was 10.00.

I have been to at least 100 resorts across the US. I expect to pay top dollar but in return I expect top quality and top service. FLR did not measure up. I was told by service staff that prices had just been increased and was costing them in tips. Was also advised by staff that Hagens at the Ross Golf Coursey was best value for money and quality was better. We ate lunch at Hagens and the staff was right. Better service, quality of food much better.

Beyond the food to value issue...I agree with all comments on front desk staff...WOW, between them and Concierge...WAY RUDE AND JUST ABOUT OBNOXIOUS.

I will NOT return and would advise anyone having to go to bring your own food, drink and anything else you might need. Nothing to buy in a 10 mile radius.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
#4 of 5 in French Lick
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jasper
SureStay Plus By Best Western, Jasper
Holiday Inn Express Bedford

Been to French Lick Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!