“It's just okay”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in French Lick
Indianapolis, Indiana
“It's just okay”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This hotel has been renovated, but the rooms and lobby still seem very dated. I assume the goal is to keep the "traditional" look of this hotel. They definitely did it. I wasn't impressed. It is dingy and the furniture is old. The conference space is very nice. If you like gaming, the casino is nice and it is attached. The grounds are beautiful. Food options on the property are very limited. Decent hotel rooms are important to me and each time here, even in different wings, the rooms were not nice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CRMays

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Terre Haute, Indiana
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My husband and I drove down to stay at the French Lick Resort for a weekend getaway in September. I was very familiar with West Baden, yet I had never stepped foot into the French Lick Resort. I was nervous that it would not live up to my expectations. I was so pleasantly surprised. The staff, (with the exception of one waiter) was amazingly friendly. The concierge went above and beyond the call of duty to help us find a local spot for an evening out. The hotel itself was breathtaking. Our room was beautifully appointed and spacious. There are a ton of things to do, and the connection to West Baden offered up a convenient jaunt for a historical tour. We even had the opportunity to watch a vintage baseball game Saturday afternoon.

If I had any cons to mention that kept this from being a perfect review, It was the food. I realize that this is a resort, but the food was horrible, tasteless, and ridiculously expensive. After the first night, all of our meals were taken off property. Other than that we plan on returning as often as possible.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank miakhoda
Harshaw, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 26, 2013

If you are looking for a get away long weekend, or a place for the family, don't miss trying out the French lick resort. This is simply a gem in the middle of nowhere.
A number of years ago my Mom saw French lick featured In Midwest Living, so we tried it out. 2013 is our 3rd year back, and I can't say enough about it. Something for everyone: amazing golfing, spas, casino, horseback riding, shops, and the food at 1875 restaurant is fabulous. The hotels, of which there are two, date back to the early 1900's and have been well kept - our rooms were fabulous. One of the best things is sitting in the Adirondeck chairs on the front verandah. Most importantly, the saff are there for your pleasure, and they will cater to your every need.
I was glad to see the women's Legends Championship golf this week and I hope more people try this gem out. You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: We had my 4 sisters and Dad. They gave us 2 corner rooms which have a shared entrance to only the 2...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Ohio
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We spent 4 nights at the French Lick resort in August. The resort never looked better with nice rooms, comfortable beds and great common areas. We don't play golf and still found enough to do in the area. Had dinner one night at Hagen's and had a very nice relaxing meal on the golf course. Walked over to Baden and walked through this resort which was not completed the last time we visited French Lick. We stayed on a 55 plus weekday promotion which gave us a daily credit of $55.00 to spend at the resort for food, golf etc. This made our stay a great value.

Room Tip: Visit Spring Mill State Park, a nice Pioneer village.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My husband and I traveled here for our one year anniversary. Very romantic hotel, great amenities, and excellent service at every corner. Donald Ross course was gorgeous, but very challenging, a little too challenging for us. Food quality and prices were excellent at both hotels. The Power plant has an excellent pork tenderloin and chicken fingers, you can tell that they were fresh, hand breaded, and home made. The 1875 Steakhouse food was incredible. Husband had prime rib, and I had a filet. Prices were competitive. We also rented a tandem bike which was only $8 per hour. There is literally something here for everyone, golf, food, bowling, historical tours, horses, arts and craft, and lots of things for kids to do. I was incredibly impressed and we had a wonderful time. French Lick hotel is closer to town and the one I prefer, but West Baden isn't a bad walk and similarly beautiful and enchanting. The drive here was beautiful too!

Room Tip: Town is incredibly quiet so I would think any room would be fine.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
windermere, Fl
Reviewed September 22, 2013

went on a guy's golf trip. very nice hotel much history staff very friendly and efficient. golf was spectacular two courses one very historical walter hagen won 1924 PGA other is on one of the highest point in Indiana very cool. hotel has a casino as well as several pubs with great live music restaurants and food is very good. definitely recommended

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Markle, Indiana
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Great hotel for a weekend stay or convention. I was there on business so the attached Casino made my stay much more fun! There is also a Pete Dye golf course, a bowling alley, great pool, and and very nice spa with all the usual services. Not much else in town, but the resort itself is great. My room was spacious and clean. The bathroom vanity area could be a little larger. Two people couldn't share the space well.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
West Baden Springs Hotel
West Baden Springs Hotel
#1 of 3 in West Baden Springs
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,675 reviews

Been to French Lick Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!