“Great all service resort”

French Lick Springs Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in French Lick
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Great all service resort”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Just returned from French Lick Resort and Hotel. A very pleasent experience with a good Casino and resturants. Our room was on the 4th floor on a corner overlooking the gardens and center court. It being winter we were not able to take advantage of any of the outdoor experience.I could see during warm weather this would be a great place to stay with plenty to keep us busy. The room was large and updated with modern ammeniies.The casino was midsize and had no smoking areas. the hotel was large and spread out. We stayed on the Whim package and had a very good breakfast included.. I am looking forward to a warm weather stay

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
Independence, Kentucky
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We stay here a few weekends every year (or West Baden), with and without the kids. If you want to get away and forget your worries, this IS the place to go. Christmas is beautiful, phenomenal, unimaginable - a must see!

I read some of the bad reviews and HAD to comment myself, as a frequent visitor. I am a pro when it comes to these two works of art.

1. Bring money. This is not a hotel for the broke.
2. Neither hotel smells like smoke. The casino is a half mile away from the lobby. There are designated smoking areas if you do smoke.
3. These people are eager to please. Many of the employees have been there since before renovation. They know they need you.
A. Ask for what you want.
B. Tell someone if you're not happy.
They'll fix it.
4. "There is nothing to do."
A. Pools (many)
H. Spa (2)
I. Walking/Hiking
J. Bowling
K. NOTHING AT ALL = RELAX
*probably not complete list, please forgive me.
**all of above, on-site! Offsite, there are go-carts, glow-in-the-dark golf, indoor pool park, train rides, etc., etc., etc...
5. 1875 has THE best steak I've ever had in my life (sorry Jeff Ruby).
6. If you go in the winter, you must hug the Jamaican valets - they freeze their butts off up here! It's actually kind of funny to watch them.

My final comment - these hotels were nearly shut down for good. Thank you Bill Cook (RIP) and thank you to the employees and residents of the area for not bailing on it all!

I guess you can't please all the people, all the time. I, for one, have been pleased every time - and I've visited AT LEAST 12 times in the last 4 years.

Patty McGill
Northern KY (Cincinnati)

• Stayed January 2013
Terre Haute, Indiana
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Check in was a breeze, got to our room and had a great view of the Pluto well and gardens. The room itsself was nice. We spent a lot of time just exploring the hotel, there is so much history to read hanging all over the walls of the resort.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I would have given this resort a perfect score except for a couple of things. One, our bed and pillows were very hard. I read all the reviews about the great beds and was surprised that ours was so uncomfortable. Plus, we were told at check-in that breakfast was included in our package, but it was not because it was added to our bill. And 29.00 is expensive for a breakfast buffet for two. Most of the staff was super friendly. There was one maid who was not very friendly. But the lady I assume was the head maid on our floor was AMAZING. We were in room 1518 in the Spa Wing. She was always checking to see how we were enjoying our stay and asking if we needed anything. We got a great deal at the last minute. So the price was very reasonable. The pool was heated...but not enough. It was cold. And since this was in January...cold is not good. I heard the hot tub was great. We never did go use it. Shuttle service to and from the casino and the West Baden Springs resort was very nice. They have FREE valet service. OF course, it is not really free as they do expect a tip. But self-parking is also free. The room was a deluxe king and was very big. I loved the big bathroom. But the floor in the bathroom was not really that clean.... All in all it was a nice visit. The resort is gorgeous. It is worth a visit. The people at the front desk were always very helpful and they did let us check in early. Just wish they had not told us we got breakfast for free when we did not....as it was expensive.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Spa Wing. The rooms there seem to be pretty big. I do not know about the other ro...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank IndianaKris
Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Great place lots to do...we traveled with our child who has food allergies and we called the food service manager a few days earlier. She was great she asked me to text her all foods on the menu that our child would like and she texted me pictures of the ingredients from each box so uncoils check for myself...

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank Steph42870
Shelbyville, Kentucky
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had not been there in at least 10 years, but glad we went back! Very nicely decorated for Christmas, we went Thanksgiving weekend, very crowded, but fun! We did not stay there, just went to look and of course we went to the casino, nice time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Newatthis03
St. Paul
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Went for a business trip and it really is a nice resort in a nice little town BUT man is it way out in the middle of nowhere. If it wasn't for having a sales team in Bloomington I would have never even known it existed. I was really impressed with the workout facility plus I had it all to myself. I never had a bad meal but the 1875 Steakhouse is JUST TOO EXPENSIVE...the food was good but WAY overpriced and that was on their 20% discount night. Their wine selection is not as good as they think it is. The casino was fun and was really surprised they had a live band Thursday night. I left the casino even....that is a win for me. My room was really far away but I didn't really care as I need the exercise. Very Clean/Quiet!!! When I got there I walked the entire place and I was impressed with the ENORMOUS layout!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Holiday Inn Express Bedford
West Baden Springs Hotel
West Baden Springs Hotel
#1 of 3 in West Baden Springs

Been to French Lick Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!