“I would never return ---Don't waste your money”

French Lick Springs Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in French Lick
Reviewed December 24, 2007

We stayed Friday and Saturday night for my birthday...First the rooms are very very small for the amount of money you pay...I have stayed at many "resorts" and this is NOT a resort. It was 500 and something for 2 nights and the rooms, to me, looked like something you would see at a Days Inn...bathrooms are small as well. Walls are paper then...you hear everything. Sunday morning our neighbors alarm clock went off at 5:30am and it woke us both up...it proceeded to beep for 45 min. We thought someone had left and just forgot to shut the alarm clock off...this wasn't the case. It sounded like it was in our room. Needless to say, we drove back up to Indy at 7am on Sunday...When we talked to the front desk supervisor (We were polite but wanted someone to know) She could honestly care less...seriously, she didn't care..."oh I'm sorry, that will be $550" I was shocked, I mean we weren't looking for free stuff, just someone to listen. You would have thought they would want feedback...but they didn't. We are both in our early 30's...and love to travel, but the rooms here really are not worth price. The casino was okay...we are both not huge gamblers, it was fun, but nothing I would write home about. Honestly, if you rarely leave the house or haven't gone anywhere ever, (which is fine) then you will probably like this, but if you travel or enjoy nice dinners, you will not be impressed.

We had dinner Friday night at Diamond J's in t he casino, the service was really poor...but the food was ok...Breakfast at the buffet Sat. morning, it was a buffet..but pretty good...it was 21.00 for 2 people. We had dinner at the 18 something steakhouse...the food was good...we have eaten at places like Sullivan's, Eddie Merlots, St. Elmo's in Indy...and its like that....however, the prices are crazy....$48 for a 8oz. Filet....I mean we will pay money for really good food, but this was more then any place we have ever eaten in Indy. It was almost like they are trying to hard.

The one thing we did like was the spa...we got couples massages and they were nice...the therapists were really great!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank crtraveler1976
Write a ReviewReviews (1,251)

Reviewed December 2, 2007

Everything was really top notch for us. Our room was beautiful and very clean. We were impressed with the luxury of the lobby, with the gold carved trim and fresco paintings on the ceilings. It had a very European flavor which was wonderful. Unfortunately our visit was a brief one night. There is so much to do on the property, bowling, indoor tennis, swimming, hot tub, casino, some pool tables, an arcade game area. We ate dinner at the sports bar, it was pricey and the hamburger was rather cool for waiting so long, but the fries were good and hot. Next day we ate at the buffet. It was so delicious. All the food we ate was extremely well prepared and delicious. There is Italian, American, seafood, oriental. The desserts were the least flavorful of the items. The service was excellent with the waitress bringing drink refills before asked and removing dishes timely. It was a Thursday night/Friday noon stay and so the place was rather quiet, and I would recommend going through the week as it is less expensive and you almost have the place to yourself, which is not really good in some ways (hope it can stay in business!). We loved it and we don't gamble...it was a real treat to the senses. We would have liked to see fresh flowers in one of their many shops. There is the West Baden to explore down the road, a winery and they are refurbishing the Train museum with rides nearby. Lovely visit, can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank farmcpl
Reviewed November 6, 2007

My husband and I have stayed at the French Lick Springs Resort several times before and loved it. On our most recent trip we stayed at the neighboring West Baden Springs Hotel (which is also fabulous) but we dined at the French Lick Springs Resort while we were there. We had dinner Friday night 1875 and it may have been the best dining experience I've ever had. Our server was knowlegable but friendly and down-to-earth. I had their surf & turf special with filet mignon, king crab legs, incredibly good mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus witha hollandaise sauce. All of it was outstanding and reasonably priced for the quality of the food, service and atmosphere. I'd go back this weekend. We had an amazing time and I love the history of the place. Take a tour of both historic hotels if you can.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank travelbugs6977
Reviewed October 9, 2007

I'm glad they restored this hotel and its sister property, West Baden Springs, as I believe in perserving historic buldings. The other hotel is more spectacular, but French Lick has a nice big porch in front with rocking chairs, beautiful marble floors, stained glass, woodwork, etc., and the room was lovely. The worst part was the front desk, waiting in line to check in and out, wasn't efficient. I feel this hotel has some tweaking to do. The valet parking is free! No good choice for casual dining. They have a fancy restaurant, a buffet and a little, plain pizza joint. The town has absolutely NOTHING! Came here for a meeting. Otherwise, I don't know what people do here. Took a tour of West Baden Springs, and it is incredible! Next time I'm in the area (for what reason, I don't know - I'm not into gambling or golf), I'd stay there.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank SFCupCake
Reviewed September 26, 2007

My husband and I stayed at French Lick Springs for 2 nights. We had a great overall experience from the nice lady that checked us in (Gala was her name) to the polite gentleman who made an excellent omelette for me both mornings. We had the best hamburger and coldest beer at the bar ( I think it was called the Power Plant). I dropped a diamond necklace down the drain and the maintenance man was literally in the room in 3 minutes after I called, I had my necklace back a minute later! I had tuna and my husband had a steak at 1875 (I think that is the correct year) they were both delicious and George was a superb server. The only down side was the pool was a little too small. My advice to the hotel would be to get rid of the "cheesy" Japanese garden and add another pool!

Stayed: August 2007
4  Thank Foursweet1s
Reviewed September 25, 2007

My husband and i have have been to alot of resorts this is a very beautiful resort and very comfortable. 1875 steakhouse is wonderful.......... We will be back soon.......

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jayjay12345
Reviewed September 22, 2007

Service was excellent. Every employee we enountered was very helpful. Check-in people - very nice.
Maids - constantly asking how our stay was.
Food. Ate at the Steakhouse, Diamonds jim and the golf course. All had fantasic food and service was great - very attentive. We also eat at the breakfast buffet - very good
It 's a fablous place to visit - the rooms were very clean and elegant. The bed was one of the most coftable I ever been in.
Casino - $5-10 Black tables durign the day - only $10 on Friday nights. A lot of .02 slots

We made use of the cool wooden rockers on the porch. This was a very relaxing trip and it's nice to have a casino to boot!!!
A very enjoyable trip - we would go back!!!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Days Inn Jasper
Days Inn Jasper
#3 of 5 in Jasper
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jasper

Been to French Lick Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!