“First Class”
Review of Pluto's Pizzeria

Pluto's Pizzeria
Reserve with OpenTable
Pluto's Pizzeria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 29 Restaurants in French Lick
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located in Pluto's Alley underneath the Spa at French Lick Springs Hotel, Pluto's Pizzeria offers a variety of homemade calzones, stromboli and pizza served whole or by the slice. In the hotel's heyday the Pluto bar served hot or cold Pluto water piped directly from the spring. Guests at the hotel were encouraged to drink the water praised for its seemingly limitless health benefits.
trish58
“First Class”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

The lady whom I had spoken to at West Baden had suggested this restaurant for our anniversary and took care of making reservations. When we arrived we were told we were being seated in the "wine room" which they told us was their most romantic spot. There were only two tables and we had the room to ourselves through most of the meal. Sitting on the table was a vase with a red and white rose. Red for our anniversary and white for my birthday which were both on the same day. We were treated like royalty and everything was perfect. The food was delicious. We had crab cakes as a starter and Don had a New York Strip with sea beans and I had the Filet with asparagus, prepared to perfection. It is a bit pricey but worth it for a special occasion.

Visited July 2012

Louisville, Kentucky
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible service, mediocre food at 1875 Steak House”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We had a 9:00 reservation on a Saturday night. When we arrived at the hostess stand we were not greeted by the hostess, who was harried and running around. In fact, I said hello to her and at 9:10 mentioned that we had a 9:00 reservation and had yet to be greeted. She apologized and said it would be a few more minutes.

When we got seated our waiter tried to rush us through our dining experience. He was rude and unfriendly; I cannot believe that he still works there. I went out to the lobby and told someone at the check in desk that I wanted to speak to the manager of the restaurant and he promptly called the manager. Both came to our table and I told them how bad our waiter was. A new waiter was promptly dispatched to our table and she did a wonderful job. They ended up taking a discount of the bill, which was appropriate.

Needless to say, the prices are exorbitant! Lobster tails for $104.00 - are you kidding me? In an attempt to keep the total bill under $200 for three adults and a child, I ordered an appetizer and soup. There was a sauce that accompanied the ahi tuna that was too strong and the lobster bisque was heavy but not bad tasting. There is no kid's menu, so my daughter got the mac and cheese but she didn't care for it. My mom got a steak that was just okay and my sister, like me, just got a couple of appetizers.

Unfortunately, there are not many choices for dinner that are considered fine dining. We go to French Lick once a year and I think next year we will check out Sinclair's at the West Baden hotel.

• Visited July 2012
Indiana
“A gem in the middle of nowhere”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Excellent Service! Incredible food. The lobster mac n cheese was also invented here. It is something you must try. Their wine selection would rival anything in a big city.

Visited September 2011
Louisville
“Not good!”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Had dinner with my wife and son last night. We split the large filet and scallops dinner. The cesar salad was terrible, big stalk of lettuce with dressing all over the plate. Had to cut the salad up and find dressing to dip it in. Lobster soup was obviously from a can, it was thick, cold and like condensed soup without water. Steak was overseasoned grocery store grade meat for $52 bucks. Scallops were just ok but the cous cous was gross. It tasted like it had been sitting for days. Service was fine. I'd never go back or recommend.

2 Thank pshelbyp
Centerville, OH
“Good dinner; not a great table”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My husband and I were put in a private corner near the back by a window. It was quiet which was nice, but I think you miss some of the ambience of the room (decor, etc.). On two sides we were surrounded closely by plain white walls which were heavily scuffed (maybe from years of chairs banging into them?). My husband's chair arm was also ready to fall off. So, the room seemed a little "worn" where we were and not indicative of the pricing.

As for the service, it was professional and perfunctory. Cocktails were slow in coming . . . arrived after our salads. I think I will have to learn not to order the food until after we receive cocktails. It is hard to judge sometimes how fast the kitchen will be vs. the bar.

The food was all fine. I had the chopped salad which was really interesting, tasty, and a large portion. My husband had the wedge which he enjoyed. In retrospect, we probably could have shared the chopped salad. We both had the smaller filet, cooked medium. It was a nice cut of meat and done about right, maybe closer to medium well. We shared sides of mashed potatoes, mushrooms, and asparagus. All sides were fine; nothing incredible.

As others have said, you will probably find just as good food at your local upscale steakhouse. We have Flemings here and it is quite good, maybe a little above what we had at 1875. I think you go to 1875 for the ambiance and that was lacking a little where we were seated. However, the rose at the end of the meal is a nice touch.

• Visited July 2012