“Great hotel, clean and friendly, great free breakfast”

Big Splash Adventure Resort
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in French Lick
owensboro,ky
“Great hotel, clean and friendly, great free breakfast”
Reviewed February 25, 2011

I travelled w/ two 6 yr olds, a 4 month old and a teenager. The hotel was lovely, very clean and kids loved the pirate ship theme-made you feel like you were in Florida. Our room was awesome. Plenty of space for all kids and separate bed and bath for baby, very roomy. All staff we dealt with were extra helpful, even at the gift shop and arcade. The waterpark was nice, but didn't really work for us. The 6 yr olds were not tall enough to ride on the big waterslides and they wouldn't allow them to ride with an adult either. So they got bored fairly quickly. Lifeguards also insisted we put a lifejacket on the baby to go in the lazy river-it was way too big and bulky and he got very upset-so we were narrowed down on what we could do there. We still had a good time in the arcade and found several closeby things to do the next day instead of going to the waterpark.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank kellyd93
abrames, Manager at Big Splash Adventure Resort, responded to this review, March 16, 2011
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent review. I apologize that your children were unable to participate in all of the activities in the water park due to their heights. Unfortunately we have a strict policy on height requirements. Hopefully you can make another trip when your children are tall enough to participate in all of the attractions! Once again, we thank you for your review.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Rooms were nice, clean.. Nothing special, don't expect a 5 star hotel not even a 2. Walls are paper thin! Don't expect to get any rest at night. I complained to the front desk that kids were RUNNING up and down the halls and they basically said that the kids would eventually go to bed-- this wAs at 11:00pm. So I was very unhappy with the unwillingness the staff was to help with this situation. The food is ok, breakfast is good. I ordered shrimp with rice and steamed veggies on night for supper, my shrimp was cold, and my peppers with my steamed veggies still had the produce sticker on them so I am guessing the food isn't super clean. This hotel looms like it is basically ran by a bunch of teenagers and a few adults and you can tell! As for the waterpark, it is nice. Be sure to watch your children closely though because the teenage lifeguards are less than interested in doing their job. I witnessed them walking around picking up towels, talking and even saw a few setting down on different occasions! Also, if u stay at the hotel, don't expect the waterpark to be catered to u. They sell as many day passes as possible regardless of how crowded it gets. So crowded there were no more seats for people... Lazy river was so crowded you couldn't move and the line for the slides was all the way down the steps and some, if you plan to order a pizza there plan to order it an hour before u r hungry...
Overall poor organization, management and staff attitudes!
My daughter enjoyed swimming when she wasn't standing in long lines and getting pushes out of the way.

• Stayed February 2011
abrames, Manager at Big Splash Adventure Resort, responded to this review, February 22, 2011
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
I want to thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor. We continue to try to get feedback from our guests and plan to improve based on those suggestions! I apologize that our staff did not respond to your noise complaints. Our halls are monitored by our 24 hour security team after 11:00 pm when quiet hours begin. I apologize greatly if the noise did not stop after 11:00. We do have lifeguard supervisors who frequently pick up towels when they are not stationed to help with the cleanliness of the water park. Day passes are limited and monitored daily, which is less than the capacity of the water park. The Galley pizzas are made to order in the hopes that you receive a fresh product. We apologize that you had to wait in excess to receive your pizza. We have made vast improvements in the wait times, but sometimes due to a large crowd wait times can be lengthy. I assure you that our management staff is dedicated to providing the utmost service to our guests and I will forward your complaints to the proper contacts to ensure that this does not happen again. Once again, we thank you for your comments and for giving us things to improve on!
Greenwood, IN
Reviewed February 2, 2011

The hotel & water park were decent for the price paid. I was however disappointing with the quality of the staff at the hotel & water park. When we check in the front desk personnel were not overly friendly. My big disappointment came when we went to the water park. The water park was about what I expect for the price, but the lifeguards were not. First of all there did not seem to be enough lifeguards on duty. I only saw 3 at any given point in time. The lifeguards that were around did not seem to do much more than just stand around. One of them always huddled next to an open window to stay cooler (Which BTW made it cold for everyone in the kiddie pool). The lifeguard at the top of the slide did not give any direction to people as to when it was okay to go down the water slides. I was most frustrated that there was not a single lifeguard around the kid water slides. The entire time that we were there kids were running into each other & pushing & shoving at the top of the slides. We saw more than one kid crying because another ran into them on the slide. All that could have been avoided if there was someone at the top of the slide watching out for kids safety. I think that this place has the potential to be a nice hotel & water park, but the staff need to take it to the next level. I would not feel comfortable letting my children play in the water park without my constant supervision.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Jeremy0538
abrames, Manager at Big Splash Adventure Resort, responded to this review, February 9, 2011
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
We want to initially thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. We have noted your concerns and passed your review on to our Aquatics staff. I assure you that safety is our main concern and we will do all that we can to address the concerns you noted in your review. Our lifeguards do go through an extensive training program and are all certified. We will address this and make sure that no future complaints are experienced.
Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Reviewed February 2, 2011

This is my second stay with my son- but a first for the neice and nephew we brought along! SUPER time in the water park!! Warm, not overly crowded. If you find the right spot to sit, you can keep an eye on 3 kids constantly! The slides are a blast, for young and old alike.

The rooms were clean enough (HORRIBLE free coffee though), food leaves something to be desired- but kids didn't have any problem with it-- I did like it that we were able to go eat without leaving the hotel and at no additional charge. Love the wristbands/park admission/electronic room keys.

The 2nd floor seems like it would be noisy - thankfully we were 1 floor up from the park entrance. Planning my 3rd trip there now-- this time with my special needs little brother. Looking forward to it!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Ladibugz
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you so much for your recent posting on Trip Advisor! I am so happy to hear that you and your family had a good time at our facility. We are currently addressing some of the items you noted in your review. We are reviewing the quality, value, and variety of our dining options. We will be addressing that! Once again, thank you for your review!
Indiana
Reviewed January 15, 2011

I booked a night here at the spur of the moment after a less than satisfying stay at a waterpark hotel in Lafayette, Indiana the week before. I was very pleasantly surprised to find a very well thought out facility. One of the things that I really liked was the bracelets contained a microchip that worked not only to get in to the water park but also served as your room key as well. You didn't need to worry about carrying cash, credit cards or a room key. It made everything simple, you could charge purchases to your room account. The rooms were immaculate, the waterpark had so many attractions. There was something for everyone in our family. The lifeguards were attentive and professional. As a former Water Safety Instructor it makes me insane to see Lifeguards doing everything aside from guarding lives, but the people who work at this resort take their jobs seriously and took the time to ensure rules were followed and small children who couldn't swim were wearing PFD's. All in all it was a great experience and a great value, since we stayed a Thursday Night in the dead of winter the nightly rate was greatly discounted and even included a hot breakfast that was filling. The only negatives I can really report is the pizza could be improved, and the mattress was not very comfortable.
I do think that one of the reasons we enjoyed this resort so much was because it was during an off peak time and there was hardly anyone there. If it were during a peak time and people were packed in like sardines it would much less fun.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank mrleo
abrames, Manager at Big Splash Adventure Resort, responded to this review, January 24, 2011
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you very much for your recent posting on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your response and are glad that you had a pleasant experience. Our micro chip bracelets was an investment we made to aid in the convenience of our guests. We are glad that you felt it was of added value to your stay. We also pride ourselves on having professionally trained lifeguards. We are proud that someone with your experience found our lifeguards to be very attentive and well trained.

Once again, we thank you for your review and look forward to welcoming you as a future guest!
Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed December 20, 2010

Recently my family (husband, sons, mother, sister, brother-in-law, nephews and niece) spent a weekend at Big Splash Adventure. We couldn't have asked for a better time! The water park was wonderful. I don't know who enjoyed themselves more the six kids between the ages of 1-6, grandma going down the waterslides or the parents getting some time to sit back and watch. Even though I'm sure that the water park is the main attraction at Big Splash Adventure, I must say that the quality of customer service is just as big of an attraction if not more. More often than not, the staff at hotels do not go out of their way to really improve your stay, well this most certainly was not the case when we met Michelle. Our family had the high expectations of all of us sharing the Pirate's Fortress room, well as one should have seen coming, it was to much "togetherness" for the husbands. My sister and I made a trip to the front desk to see if we could move to adjoining Double Splash rooms, and this is when we had the pleasure to deal with Michelle. She listened to our situation, laughed with us that our husbands can complain more than our kids, and came up with a solution. The service didn't stop there, as one would imagine with 6 kids in the rooms, it didn't take long before we had a mess of crumbs on the floor. The next evening, my sister and I made another trip to the front desk to ask for a vacuum and again we were greeted by Michelle with a bright smile and again she quickly took care of our request. This was our 3rd stay at Big Splash Adventure and we always have a great time. This time we met an EXCEPTIONAL person in Michelle. Thank you Michelle for making our stay such an enjoyable one!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
newsalisbury
Reviewed December 13, 2010

Our room was very nice! The food wasnt that great! The waterpark was not 86 and the water was not 84!!! IT WAS FREEZING...all the kids lips were purple and everyone was shaking, which made it disappointing!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
#1 of 5 in French Lick
West Baden Springs Hotel
West Baden Springs Hotel
#1 of 3 in West Baden Springs

Been to Big Splash Adventure Resort? Share your experiences!