“Cons outweigh the pros”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in French Lick
Greenwood, Indiana
“Cons outweigh the pros”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We live two hours from French Lick and visited BSA in January 2012 and were very pleasantly surprised. I was not expecting the hot breakfast and left with nothing but great memories and intentions to return several times a year.

Time flies and we just returned 3/27-3/28/2014 with our now 2 &4 year old boys.

Pro: We arrived at 12:30pm and were able to check into our spacious, clean room and begin using the waterpark right away. We were in the water by 1pm and stayed until between 4 & 4:30pm. Our kids LOVED the slides they were tall enough for as well as the Lost River.

Con: My husband started coughing after we'd been there for about an hour and said he must have swallowed some water. Continued coughing until we left to take a break in the room at 4:30pm.

Con: After reading reviews online about the restaurant and realizing it was buffet-only, we decided to grab McDonald's and bring it back to the room.

Con: We were back in the water park by 6pm and my husband immediately started coughing again. By 8pm he had to leave because he felt that his throat was closing up and he was gagging while coughing. He threw up from coughing when he got back to the room. No sooner than he left, I started coughing and felt my chest tightening up. Sometime between 8 & 8:30pm I couldn't take it anymore and decided it was time to go. I noticed 3 other people coughing (could have been coincidence...or not), including my oldest son.

Pro: The beds were very comfortable. Our room was quiet. We all slept very well.

Con: Both of my sons' wristbands fell off 3 times. Mine fell off twice and my husband's fell off once. We had to keep going back to the front desk to have them replaced. Seemed to be a common problem. Not a huge deal, but an annoying inconvenience.

Con: My husband and I were dreading going back to the water park again on Friday morning after all the trouble we had Thursday night.

Con: The breakfast was terrible. Tasteless. The biscuits were hard. The bacon was so greasy I couldn't eat it. The oatmeal looked like slop. Not at all what I remembered. Only good thing there was french toast sticks, which you could buy frozen at any grocery. Yuck. They did have milk and orange juice, which was nice, but I couldn't help feeling guilty that they brough each of my sons a 12 or 16 oz cup FULL of milk and each of my kids drank maybe 4-6 oz. Lots of waste. They should have smaller cups for young children.

Pro: While we coughed again once we entered the waterpark, it never got as severe as it did the night before.

Con: This place was SO crowded the two days we were there, and we expected that with spring break, but it got to the point that the line for the slides extended all the way to the lazy river entrance and there were no tubes left for people wanting to use the lazy river, which was probably my kids' favorite feature. The lifeguard on the little kids' slides were not paying attention. Several kids would go at once or shortly after one another and collide into each other at the bottom of the slide. Also, lots of kids were cutting in line. I stood with my kids in line and went down the slides after them so I witnessed LOTS of this. I felt terrible asking children to go to the back of the line - where were the parents and/or employees - this sure was not my job.

Con: I feel bad for the lifeguards/other employees that sit in that room 8+ hrs a day, it can't be good for their lungs. We got home late Friday afternoon and coughed into Sunday morning with that tightness in our chests. I 100% this is a result of swimming at Big Splash for a total of 8-9 hours over the course of two days. Not worth my $200.

Neither pro nor con: I've seen a lot of complaints about the customer service; it was okay. Not above and beyond but not terrible. No one was rude to us. It seemed like a bunch of high school kids with no senior management supervision, but with that being said, we didn't have any problems.

I don't think we will be back for some time due to the breathing problems, unless it is in the summer.

1 Thank Candice M
BSA_Manager, Manager at Big Splash Adventure Resort, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent review. I'm so sorry to hear about breathing issues you incurred! Pools are automatically fed chemicals by a Chemtrol system and levels are manually checked by staff more than the Dept. of Health require. We send samples of our water to the water company weekly and those results are reported to the State Health Dept. We work closely with them to ensure our water quality meets all state guidelines. The Dept. of Health mandates we keep our pools between 1.0 and 7.0 parts per million with 2.0 being minimum sanitation. We strive to keep our chlorine levels regulated between 2.0 and 3.0 parts per million. The spa can have a maximum of 10.0 parts per million. I can assure you our water does meet this criteria. Unfortunately I cannot explain why you may have incurred these issues. We do hope that you will consider our facility again in the future and it seems like you have had a great prior experience!

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Fairdale
Reviewed April 1, 2014

My sister and I took my 3&6 year old grandkids, they had a blast! We had Groupon day passes.
a LOT of people, but still fun. Lost several tokens in the gameroom, very outdated. On the way home my Granddaughter being to vomit, not sure if it was the food she ate before we left or the water she played in. We pulled to the side of the road and a kind police officer stopped to assist us. She has allergies and the chemicals are strong smelling.

1 Thank Debra W
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent review. We are so sorry to hear that your granddaughter got sick on the way home. Our pools are automatically fed chemicals by a Chemtrol system and levels are manually checked by staff more than the Dept. of Health require. We send samples of our water to the water company weekly and those results are reported to the State Health Dept. We work closely with them to ensure our water quality meets all state guidelines. The Dept. of Health mandates we keep our pools between 1.0 and 7.0 parts per million with 2.0 being minimum sanitation. We strive to keep our chlorine levels regulated between 2.0 and 3.0 parts per million. The spa can have a maximum of 10.0 parts per million. I can assure you our water does meet this criteria. Again we thank you for your review and I do hope that your granddaughter is feeling better!
Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Just came from another great trip to French Lick. We paid a bit more than normal since it is during spring break but it was all worth it. We went along with friends this time and when I booked our room a few weeks ago I asked them if they could be close or adjoining even tho I know they can't guarantee this. When we arrived around 1pm on 3-22-14 there were hardly any parking places so I was a bit worried as to what this stay would be like. I had my husband drop me off at the door since I was sure there would be a long line to check in. There was not! It was a very fast process and our rooms had been marked "do not move" and were right next door to each other! We were able to check in early like normal! Rooms were clean like usual. This may have been the busiest the waterpark ever was for us and the lines were long for the water slides but went pretty fast. The arcade area is still a bit busted with alot of the games broke but that is not why we visit. We had a group of 9 and when we went to get dinner and bring it back I was hoping we could go to the upper deck to eat since there isn't really room to spread out to eat in the room but they said due to a cross contamination risk we couldn't but we made due. The breakfast buffet was very good like always. It consisted of the normal, biscuits and gravy, oatmeal, cold cereal, scrambled eggs, bacon, pancakes & french toast sticks. I had warned our friends that it was a noisy place but even with the crowd this was the quietest visit ever! We were on the 4th floor right across from the elevators too! A BIG shout out to housekeeping who turned in out PS Vita (a hand held gaming device). We had checked out, swam for a couple hours, went to eat and play laser tag and putt putt and realized we left it. Went back up to the hotel hours later and the front desk had it that some nice, honest person had turned in. Thank you SO MUCH whoever you are. THANK YOU for your honesty! We will def be back later this year!!

Room Tip: I think the higher the floor the quieter the room!
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent review! We are so glad that you had a great stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Managment
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I was looking for a close but fun place to go during my daughter's spring break. We used a Groupon. Arrived at 2pm and our rooms were available right away. Our rooms was clean and quiet during the night. The pool area was not crowded there were limited lounge chair. They had regular chairs lined up around the perimeter of the pool. Complimentary breakfast was horrible..No taste and cold. Tried their dinner but had to wait about thirty minutes for food but the restaurant wasn't crowded. My daughter had fun. The arcade on our second day there had out of order signs on most of the activities plus one of the machines just gave tickets without playing.
Overall, it was a pleasant stay but not sure if I would return.

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent review. We are glad to hear you had a pleasant stay. We do hope that you will consider our facility again in the future and we will pass on your comments to the appropriate departments.
Terre Haute, Indiana
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

I booked a room via Big Splash's website. There is no special provision given for guests versus the general population that comes in for Day Passes to the waterpark. If that's the case, why fork over up to $300 a night to stay there?? You have to hope you find a place to park and expect to stand in lengthy lines just to check in. The website said you can arrive early get your waterpark wristbands and check into your room at 4pm. We didn't expect to stand in a line for up to 45 minutes to do so. There was an error with my reservation so we stayed at Wilstem Ranch. Pretty glad we did, it was more bang for my buck plus we received half off on Day Passes.

Once we got to the waterpark it was over crowded. People literally everywhere so don't expect to find somewhere to put your towel or have a seat.

Overall, it wasn't worth the hype and we won't be returning.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank DimplesfromIndy
BSA_Manager, Manager at Big Splash Adventure Resort, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent review. We apologize that you had issues with your reservation. We are glad to hear that we were able to resolve it for you and have you stay at our sister property. March is a very busy time of year. We do hope that you will consider visiting us in the future maybe during a less busy time of year!

Travelers are raving about these French Lick hotels

Bedford, Indiana
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We live fairly close (about 40 min) from Big Splash and went last year in January for the first time. We stayed the night with a gift card we received for Christmas. The rooms were okay(nothing special) and same with the breakfast that was offered. We went to the water park in the evening of the first night and everything went okay. We had fun and there wasn't that many people. The next day we decided to wait until evening to get in again and this time it was extremely crowded. I noticed my kids (the oldest, 9 year old has asthma) started coughing and having a hard time breathing. Then my husband and I started in. We decided it was probably because we had to much of it at this point and decided it was time to go. A year later, we decided to go back with yet again another gift card for a day trip down there. We were there for a total of 4 lousy hours. After 2 hours of swimming and playing everyone started coughing and having a hard time breathing again. We took breaks every hour or so sitting in the lobby, playing games, and eating but it still wasn't helping. Management was talked to and it was told nothing could be done. After hour 4 I decided to take my son down the water slide one last time and by time I got off of it I was in a total coughing fit like I've never had. I met up with my husband who had my four year old daughter and she was also having a very hard time breathing. We rushed outside to get some air because I thought we were both going to get sick we were coughing so hard. I talked to management who told me at full capacity they up the chemicals and to take breaks, which we had done. We left and won't be back ever. I have another gift card to use and I'm selling it for Holiday World tickets. They are 100 times better in customer service,friendly staff, and clean! They really need to do something about all the chemicals because one of these days it will really hurt someone I'm afraid!!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank amanda g
BSA_Manager, Manager at Big Splash Adventure Resort, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
The chemicals are not increased during capacity. Pools are automatically fed chemicals by a Chemtrol system and levels are manually checked by staff more than the Dept. of Health require. We send samples of our water to the water company weekly and those results are reported to the State Health Dept. We work closely with them to ensure our water quality meets all state guidelines. The Dept. of Health mandates we keep our pools between 1.0 and 7.0 parts per million with 2.0 being minimum sanitation. We strive to keep our chlorine levels regulated between 2.0 and 3.0 parts per million. The spa can have a maximum of 10.0 parts per million. I can assure you our water does meet this criteria. I would recommend especially since they have a child with asthma to come back when the roof is opened in the summer.
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed February 15, 2014

As I sit in my room writing this review at 11:20 pm, it sounds like a three ring circus is taking place above us. The ice and vending machines are right across the hall and have been the meeting place for many groups to hold their very loud conversations. The food in the Boatyard is less than desirable and the water park itself is chaotic. In short, this was by far the absolute worst weekend getaway. From now on, my family and I will be traveling to Great Wolf Lodge where a mandatory quiet time is enforced, the food is much tastier, daily passes are not sold, and the experience is worth the money. This will not be a place I suggest to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor away from the elevator.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Tracy S
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent review. We apologize that you were unhappy with your stay. We do mandate quite hours from 10 pm - 8 am. We do enforce these hours with Security who monitor the halls. We also limit the number of day passes that we sell per day and assure you that we are never near our capacity constraints even after selling a limited number of day passes. We do hope that you will consider our facility again in the future and give us another try.
Also consider these accommodations in or near French Lick
French Lick Springs Hotel
French Lick Springs Hotel
#2 of 5 in French Lick
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,124 reviews

Been to Big Splash Adventure Resort? Share your experiences!