“Pros and Cons...”

Big Splash Adventure Resort
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in French Lick
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Stayed one night. This was a trip for my son's 10th birthday. No hot water in the morning. Water heater was broken. It definately set our schedule back for the day and No compensation was offered. All I was asking for was a discounted room the next time we statyed. All we got was a 'sorry...' from the manager on duty. Arcade at the water park was nothing special. Some games were broken. My son enjoyed the water park. I like the arm band concept for the room keys. Enjoyed the adults only hot tub while my son played. Free wi fi was nice. The free breakfast was NOT good at all. Not sure if i was a fan of the 'Quiet Time' hours in the hotel. When you are on vacation, you tend to stay out a little longer.

Enjoyed the discounts at the other facilities in town, laser tag, putt putt golf, and go karts.

May go back but will probably stay at a different resort in town, then get a daily wristband for the water park.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jada B
abrames, Manager at Big Splash Adventure Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent posting! We are so glad to hear that you had a good time and that your son really enjoyed the water park. We apologize that you were disappointed in breakfast and our quite hours. Due to the large amount of small children we try to keep the noise down to a minimum in the evening hours. We do hope that you will choose our facility again in the future!

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Was a great way to spend a weekend. We stayed Friday night. Can check in at 4:00 but, can go to the waterpark at noon that day. We got there at 1:30 and the room was already ready which was nice. The waterpark is clean. The lines were not bad at all on Friday. Sat was a bit longer but, still at most 15-20 minutes for the larger slides. My son, 4 yrs, loved it. I thought it was set up well for younger kids. The next day check out is 11:00 but, you can stay in the waterpark until 9:30 PM that day. I think staying one night is plently. Breakfest is free. Otherwise, eat elsewhere for lunch/dinner. The rooms are a bit dated but, serve the purpose. The carpets could use some cleaning. The room was pretty good size. We will return again.

1  Thank Sheryl Z
abrames, Manager at Big Splash Adventure Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
THank you for your recent posting! We are glad to hear that you had such a good time! We hope to have you back again soon!

Reviewed August 22, 2012

The check in was pleasant. Very innovative with the arm band room keys. The park is fun and clean. The resort is the most convenient way to enjoy a water park regardless of the weather. Fun arcade, good easy food.

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent review. We are glad to hear that you had a good time and hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed August 15, 2012

We spent the night at the hotel with my wife and 2 kids who are 4 and 6 months of age. The waterpark itself was tons of fun for my whole family. We had a great time. I do have several complaints about the hotel and staff though. There were not enough lifeguards. A lot of the kiddie pools and the kiddie water house aren't watched closely by lifeguards. I've been to Key Lime Cove Waterpark outside of Chicago and there were lifeguards everywhere. Not so here. It bothered me that while I was there the lifeguards shut down the big water slides half the time. I thought it was due to short staffing but when I asked one of the lifeguards they said they closed it because they didn't think anyone wanted to use them since there weren't that many people in the park that day (during the week). Yeah they let me up when I asked but it was bothersome to half to do this. When I let the hotel staff know about this they apologized.

The arcade is absolutely pitiful! The games are way overpriced and are just a bunch of ticket games which is boring. No real action games for the kids like at other hotel waterparks I've been to. To give you an example of the price, a wack a mole game was two tokens (50 cents). The staff are nice to the kids with the tickets though. My kid had 10 tickets for a tootsie roll and the attendant gave him a handful. The hotel itself is run down unfortunately. The AC unit sounds like a tank when it is on and I finally just shut it off at night so I could get some sleep. The breakfast was good I have to admit for being complimentary with the price.

Overall, we had a lot of fun at the waterpark. The hotel itself otherwise pretty much forgettable. I may consider coming back for the price but it may be worth it to just stick with Great Wolf Lodge in Cincinnati or Key Lime Cove in Chicago which run excellent hotel waterparks.

1  Thank xyz4484604

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent posting! We are so glad that you had tons of fun at our waterpark! I will pass on your concerns about the amount of lifeguards to our aquatics staff. We apologize that you feel our arcade was not geared toward older children with action games. Most of our games do cater to younger children. Overall we are glad to hear that you had a good time at our waterpark. We do hope to have you back again soon!

Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed on a Sunday night. Rooms were very clean. Kids really enjoyed the waterpark and it was not too crowded due to us staying on a Sunday. Hot breakfast in the morning was far beyond our expectations! We were expecting the typical hotel breakfast and this was a true breakfast buffet similar to what you would expect to see in a restaurant! We will certainly be returning!

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent posting! We are glad that you and your family had such a good time! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed Saturday 8/11 for one night. We got there around 2pm and they had a room ready for us,though I asked if we could be moved to the 2nd floor, close to the waterpark. No problem, just had to wait a little longer. They went ahead and gave us our wristbands and we went to the waterpark. I loved the fact that the wristband was your roomkey, very nice not having to worry about where your key is. We had two kids with us, age 6 and 8. They liked the waterpark, but were bored with it by the 2nd day. My husband and I even enjoyed the 2 tube slides ,and the lazy river. We got the package with a large pizza, breadsticks, 4 cookies and 4 large drinks and a $25 arcade card. Not a bad deal, but the breadsticks were TERRIBLE, and pizza was your typical "arcade food". Still, with the arcade card included, we only paid $15 for all the food, so.....we dealt with it. We ate the free breakfast, which had a large variety, but nothing was great. The boys enjoyed the french toast sticks. We were happy with the hotel room itself, clean and plenty big for 4 of us. One thing I did not like, when we went to the outdoor pool, the smoking area was right outside it, big negative point for me!!! I don't children or adults that don't smoke should be exposed at all, the smoking area should be farther away! I would recommend thhis place to others with children, If we were in the area, we might stay here again, but I wouldn't drive 2 hours just to go there again.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our room on the 2nd floor, so close to the waterpark, and it wasn't loud. The waterpa...

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent review. We are glad to hear that you had a good time at our facility and enjoyed many of our features. We are addressing the smoking issue and adding a designated smoking area on the far end of the building. This should alleviate this issue. Once again we thank you for your review and look forward to welcoming you as a guest again soon.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed the night on a Sunday because we were going to Holiday World the next day. We were able to start using the splash park when we got there at 1pm. We had to wait until 4pm to check into the room, but they had facilities for changing. I was able to check in a little early at 3:30 and im glad I did, as the line to check in at 4pm got fairly long.

The splash park is large and has 4 big slides and a couple small slides in a kiddie area as well as several pools and a lazy river. There where plenty of life guards who seemed very aware of everything going on. There is an adults only hot tub which was strictly enforced. This was a nice way to get away from the splashing.

We didn't eat at the restaurant, but did notice the prices are a little high, but what hotel doesnt have higher food prices. It wasn't stadium pricing, but it wasn't cheap. We went across the street to Chicago's pizza.

The arcade was the one disappointing thing. More than half the games are broken, so the kids ability to earn tickets was not good. It sounds like its been this way for a while. But when I reported it, the girl at the desk said she had just heard about it.

The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. All the common areas were pretty clean and not in too bad of shape for a place that caters to kids.

I took another reviewers advice and got down to breakfast by 8:30am. By 9am, there was a line to get a table that stretched around the corner. The buffet was kind of a mixed bag, They had a lot of choices, but the eggs cannot be described. Even for fake eggs, they were pretty bad. They had an odd texture and very little flavor. But hey, it is included in the price.

Overall, we would stay here again, but I would like to see a couple improvements. If you are picky, you might not like it. But if you can accept it for what it is (a kids hotel) you'll do just fine.

1  Thank Stanicus
abrames, Manager at Big Splash Adventure Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent review. We always appreciate hearing from our guests! I will pass your review on to our Galley Manager in reference to the arcade. We work diligently to make sure all games are in operational order which is why I assume the manager was surprised to your comment. We appreciate you letting us know so we can take action to get them fixed! We are glad to hear that you had a good experience and we look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near French Lick
Holiday Inn Express Bedford
French Lick Springs Hotel
French Lick Springs Hotel
#2 of 5 in French Lick

Been to Big Splash Adventure Resort? Share your experiences!