“Unique Chance To Get Close To Nature”

Wild Winds Buffalo Preserve
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The only place I know in this region with a huge comfortable "bed & breakfast" lodge surrounded by a Federal licensed Buffalo Preserve, with guided tours out into the middle of a real buffalo herd close enough to touch. This is living history without having to "rough-it" at all. The staff do everything to please guests, it is inexpensive, plus they also have seasonal "themed events" there attracting many reinactors from historical groups. You should schedule a visit during one of the events for a really unique trip you won't forget.

2  Thank Steve W
"dan"
"mom"
"ohio"

Reviewed April 6, 2013

My family and I were disappointed that the horse trail ride was closed at Pokagon State Park so we looked for other things to do in the area. While searching TripAdvisor we ran across Wild Winds Buffalo Preserve. Not only did we get to hang out with lots of bison and learn about them and the operations of the preserve but we went on the best trail ride we have ever been on. We rode in a very open area, allowing the horses a little freedom to roam. It was much more enjoyable than the typical tight formation you see on most trail rides. I had a blast and so did my wife and kids.

1  Thank Lock-Man65
Reviewed November 23, 2012

The buffalo preserve is truly amazing! The staff is so knowledgeable & really honor these magnificent animals. When we were there we saw over 70 adults & newborn calfs. Late spring is a good time to visit because the young start being born about mid-May. Also you will be out on the "open range" so go when the weather is good, but not too hot, The staff transports you right out into the fields where the buffalo literally roam. What an experience! The vehicles & wagons are all open, with sides, of course, allowing REALLY up close viewing. A truly amazing sight! Quiteness is emphasized, so if you have little ones make sure all their needs are met before boarding vehicles. I'm a preschool teacher & we took 25 3 year olds with us & had no difficulties even tho one was a child with learning disabilities & had tendancies to escalate. A truly wonderful experience. I highly recommend!

3  Thank julie f
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My boys 20, 19, 15 and 11 travel with my husband and I on vacation every year. I make sure that where ever we go they would be interested and that is why I chose this amazing sight. They love animals and you can't get any closer than when you come here. You learn so much about these animals and the land that you are standing on. The tour guy Scott was so informative that everyone on the tour listened to every word he said and asked a million questions because it was so interesting. If you like getting up close with animals you can't get any closer than this. Worth it for sure!

2  Thank amtrak
See more reviews
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We visited Wild Winds last weekend and were throughly impressed! It is family run and they couldn't have been nicer. We were taken out into the field with the Bison and they came right up to the truck. Our guide taught us a lot about them and the families dedication to respecting the herd and caring for them properly. It is a very laid back place, but very nicely presented! The tours are about an hour and are reasonably priced. The gift shop is nice as well and we were told that the bison meat is spectacular. Neither of us were hungry at the time, or we would have given it a try. We enjoyed ourselves very much and plan to take some family members wtih us when we return this fall!

3  Thank Gary W