“Another great local gem”
Review of Ann's Restaurant

Ann's Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 79 Restaurants in Franklin
Cuisines: American
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I love eating at places that are a bit off the map from time to time, and Ann's Resturant in downtown Franklin is somewhat of the map because of it's non chain nature and it's history.

Ann's has massive servings of food (you leave hungry only because you fail to consume what you were served) and the best iced tea in Johnson County, bar none. Their breakfasts hit the spot, as do their burgers, but I have a soft spot for their hot ham and cheese.

The staff is very friendly, and best of all, eating at Ann's supports a good cause. You don't want to miss Ann's when you are in Franklin. In fact, it sounds really yummy right now... too bad I work in downtown Indy!

1  Thank IndianaPriest

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Looking for something different yesterday, a friend and I opted to try Ann's Restaurant in downtown Franklin. The diner is located across from the Courthouse, but not on the busy Jefferson St. side; Monroe is parallel to Jefferson on the other side of the Courthouse.

When we walked into the restaurant for a late lunch around 1 p.m., we were immediately struck by the authentic old fashion diner quality it offered. We weren't walking into a modern restaurant with an old fashioned diner theme; we were walking into a small town diner that drew local farmers gathering at center tables and talking about every topic possible. Their conversation was loud but so enjoyable. I swear I was sitting in the middle of a diner in downtown Mayberry. I'd bet lunch a bit earlier drew customers from the Franklin Courthouse and government center, too.

The menu was extensive with comfort foods, including quite a list of breakfast items. Although the two specials -- a broccoli chicken casserole or meatloaf both with two sides and bread for $6 -- was appealing, I was drawn to a menu item that reminded me of my childhood and lunch at diners with my mother in the early 1970s. I ordered a patty melt that came with homemade potato chips and ranch dipping sauce. My friend ordered a chicken club salad with fried chicken rather than grilled and honey mustard dressing.

Both of our meals arrived within 15 minutes, and our waitress returned several times to check on us. She was young and bubbly but not over-the-top silly. She seemed very authentic and seemed to like her job. I've grown accustomed to rushed servers who don't like their jobs these days.

My friend enjoyed her salad, and for the first time since I've known her, she couldn't finish it. My homemade potato chips and ranch dressing were great. My patty melt was pretty good, however, the onions needed to be sauteed a bit longer so they were less crunchy and the hamburger needed to be seasoned a bit more. I removed a few of the larger, crunchy onion slices and added salt to my burger, and finished off my patty melt although I was full after the first half. I could not finish all my chips.

Each of our meals, including soft drinks, came to less than $10. I believe mine hovered around $8.

As we were leaving and my friend made conversation with one of the employees as I visited the restroom, my friend noticed that photos displayed on the walls were for sale. She asked about them and learned that Ann's is going to redecorate soon and is raising money for some of that redecoration by selling the photos. She also learned that all proceeds from the restaurant go to a local group helping people with addictions.

All-in-all, we will be back to Ann's. We enjoyed the "real" small town diner atmosphere; really want to try some other menu items, such as the tenderloin sandwich and that chicken broccoli casserole; and, like the idea of helping out a good, local cause while enjoying a low-key lunch.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

The worst food and service possible. Id rather go to waffle house and thats really saying something.

1  Thank Annemarie R
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Definitely a small-town gem! They claim to be the oldest restaurant in Franklin. We arrived after 1 pm on a Saturday and they close at 2 pm.

The couple walking out of the restaurant highly recommended the tenderloin. Our waitress, Laura, recommended it as well. In addition to the tenderloin, Laura also recommended the homefries and a cheeseburger on garlic bread (I can't remember the local terminology). My friend loves breakfast which is offered all day long so she ordered the biscuits and gravy, a side of bacon, and homefries. I saw a sausageburger on the menu so I was curious. Laura said it was good so I asked her to make it like she would order it since there were several cheese and condiment options; DELCIOUS! The burger came with fries but I asked them to sub the homefries and they did so without any additional charge. My friend's bacon was crisp, not greasy and the biscuits/gravy portions were HUGE! We both loved our home fries! YUM! And, the sausageburger was tasty; I would order it again.

Drinks. Although we ordered a diet coke and iced tea, my friend realized that she wanted hot coffee with her breakfast. Despite being the only customers, they made a fresh pot just for her.

A few minutes before closing, a gentleman walked in asking about the closing time and they offered to make his meal to go. They prepared the meal, showed him the open to-go box and wanted to know if it looked ok. He agreed and said that he would be back.

Definitely a small town restaurant aiming to please and the price is right. The hours are quirky but worth a visit. The staff makes it a 5+ restaurant. The food is 4+. The serving size is 5+.

I will definitely visit this restaurant again.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed August 23, 2008

pretty good food Very odd hours

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook