“Average hotel for money”

Wyndham Garden Fort Wayne
Ranked #27 of 44 Hotels in Fort Wayne
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I booked this hotel for myself, my husband, our children and another family we were traveling with. Since we were going to the zoo, this hotel was close to zoo and short distance to mall. I looked up rates online and found one that mentioned "two rooms, king bed, sofa bed, breakfast". I specifically called the hotel phone (not central booking) to find out more info on room. I travel frequently and know which questions to ask. I was assures this was a suite with an extra separate room that was closed off. We requested the two rooms adjoining or close. When we arrived the room was your standard king room with a sofa bed next to king bed. I went to desk and explained I was very unhappy with room since I was misled by staff. They told me that was suite room and I was told central booking mislead me. Since I called the 260 number and was talking direct to staff I was not impressed. They asked me what would make me happy. They upgraded us to the "executive suite". This had king bed in corner with three walls, still no separate door. Our friend were put around the corner from our room. Again the were not accurate because they were around three corners and down the hall a ways.

The executive room is not a room I would book for an executive. The air conditioner barely worked and would not stay on. The place was dusty and bathroom not well cleaned. The fridge was not cold.

The breakfast was just average for a hotel and since it was included with our stay it was ok. I definitely would not pay extra for it. The pool pictured on the Internet made the pool look huge, which it was not. It needed to be cleaned. My husband took the net to fish out a wasp and realized the don't empty the old bugs out of the net.

I have always been happy with this chain before but this hotel should definitely not be up to Marriott standards. With the discounted price and upgrade (term used very loosely) it was ok for one night but I won't be going back any time soon.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Although I do point out some negatives here, let me preface by saying we would HAPPILY stay here again. Overall it was a good hotel.

Stayed here as part of a group for a soccer tournament last weekend. Placing the reservation was easy, and setting up a block for our group was only about 80% effective (some families were put quite far away from the rest of the group). The staff was courteous and check-in was quick and simple.

Initially I was told the rate included free hot breakfast, and at check-in they mentioned the time breakfast was served. When we arrived at the breakfast area in the morning, they asked for our vouchers, which we were never given. They asked if we were with a group and then they provided our vouchers and seated us. The second morning, they never asked for vouchers or room number or anything. Kind of odd. This hotel would do well to just have free breakfast for all guests with vouchers given upon request to gauge the demand. The breakfast was quite good with more offerings than I'd expected.

There is no elevator, but staff offered to help with luggage, which we declined as we didn't have much with us. There are only 2 floors here so it isn't that big of a deal.

The a/c unit was off when we entered the room and it was very hot and humid. We had to turn the unit down to 60 degrees to get comfortable. Several people in our group mentioned difficulty getting the rooms adequately cool. Even though we had the do not disturb tag on the door, housekeeping entered and left a little note letting us know how to get services or towels if needed, and I think they may have turned our a/c off...so returning after a hot morning on the soccer pitch, we came back to a hot and humid room. That was the only time the a/c was turned off by staff, though.

The pool is clean and very nice. It is a bit small considering there were numerous soccer teams there with kids all wanting to use the pool and hot tub area, but it served the purpose quite nicely and all the kids seemed happy.

Another note about the staff...The second night we were there, roving groups of unsupervised teenagers and pre-teens were running through the halls causing lots of noise and obstruction. Apparently their parents felt that "parental supervision" was not their responsibility. At any rate, a single simple, polite call to the front desk was all that was necessary for staff to handle the situations promptly and professionally.
The

Room Tip: If you have need an elevator/lift, ask for a 1st floor room. Rooms in the back-middle section are a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 27, 2013

my girlfriend and i just recently stayed at the hotel at this location. 1619 W Washington Center Road, Fort Wayne, IN, 46818, US. we reserved my room online and there was supposed to be breakfast included. Once we arrived the next day for breakfast we noticed no one was there i thought that was odd. there were 3 hotel staff waiting by the bar. they told us there were two different meal plans: one the the fruit bar, and one for the all u can eat. really? but that wasn't really the problem. we ate anyway. we felt uncomfortable. we felt as if we were being rushed out. we left our money in the room thinking it was included in the plan. i told the waiter we needed to go back to the room to get the money she said " can one of you wait right here"? really? I haven't even checked out of the hotel yet! i couldn't believe how disrespectful she was to us. i have stayed at several hotels in the past never have i been treated in such manner.the hotel wasn't that great anyway. not all the staff was rude, no problems checking in but i will never stay at this hotel in this location again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank guest37209
JLawn, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Wayne, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Thank you for the response. I completely understand your frustration with breakfast not being included. Courtyards are one of the few Marriott brands that do not include a complimentary breakfast. I have followed up with my breakfast staff, giving them your feedback. Our breakfast staff strives for success and they are currently ranked in the top 100 in the brand.

Thanks again for your feedback,

Reviewed April 26, 2013

There's how you do it. Basic clean comfortable room. Nothing gross. Clean linens and a nice bed. Coffee maker. A business traveler's relief to open the door to. I would rate them higher but they charged me twice what they charged my colleague, and I was registered under his company. So I felt that was small of them. But good room for an overnight business trip.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Hotel staff was great. Check in was a breeze and we were given a discounted room rate due to the reason for our travels. (group discount) We were told about the available hot breakfast, that may I say was great. It was not free, but to get that much food at a local restraunt it would cost more and I could have worn my pj's to breakfast if I had wanted too. We asked about late check out being how we were uncertain as to if we were staying a second night or not. That was smooth also. Parking next to the rooms was an asset as well. Alot of local businesses close by for those little things you might have forgotten as well as plenty of food choices near by.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
JLawn, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Wayne, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Melinda,

Thank you for the great response. I am glad your family and group enjoyed the weekend at our hotel. Our breakfast staff and food is definitely top notch! They are currently in the top 5% of all Courtyard hotels in breakfast friendliness. We look forward to seeing you on your next excursion to Fort Wayne.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

The staff is one of the most courteous, friendly and accommodating I personally have ever dealt with. I stay out over 100 nights per year and they are the best! The rooms are spotless and very comfortable!

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you for the feedback! The entire staff at the Courtyard Fort Wayne truly appreciates your continued loyalty to our hotel. We can't wait to see you again!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

CYFW fully meets my expectations. The staff is helpful and courteous. I have travelled to this hotel over 50 times in the past 5 years. I have conducted events and interviews for my company. They have worked with me to give me good prices on a small working budget. Thansk to all that have provided the service.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
JLawn, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Wayne, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Thank you for the feedback Will. We definitely appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you on your next return!

Thank you!