“The on-line ratings and pictures will lead you astray with this below average sad establishment”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Fort Wayne
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Fort Wayne
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We booked a stay over 4th of July week to see relatives. I reviewed the comments, description and pictures on line before commiting. When we pulled up in our vehicle, I knew something was not correct. This is an old (70's era) hotel sitting between a gas station and a car lot. It fronts a huge intersection of two very busy thoroughfares. When I had to sign a disclaimer promising not to light off fire works on the premesis and "no partying in the rooms" before I was given a key, I looked around for Ashton Kutcher because I thought I had just gotten "Punked". We went to our room to find the old "pop corn ceiling", thread bare sheets and dust galore. All night we heared 18 wheelers, screaming motorcycles and racing emergency vehicles. Think My Cousin Vinney with a train going by at 3:00am every morning but this was all night. We were hoping it was an anamoly but the next night it was more of the same with the addition that the upstairs guests were restless. We heared them through the paper thin walls,walking toilets flushing etc. Our relative came by in the morning to say hellow and left to do some errands. She came back to our room after 30 seconds to inform us a used condom was sitting next to our van, right where the children enter. I went to the manager to request a room transfer. She gave us the keys to a room kitty corner from the freeway. We packed all our stuff (2 adults, 2 children) and headed to the second floor room. We opened the door to an overwhelming fetid odor. We tried running water down the kitchen sink but no improvement was made, my 7 year old refused to enter the room after one whiff. As I gazed around, I noted 4 old tea bags hanging from the railing out side the front door, a filthy kitchen floor, hand prints all over the kitchen cabinets, a dish washer full of dirty dishes and a face board off the area right below the kitchen sink. It was laying face down on the floor with 3 pieces of double back duct tape on the exposed surface. I am not making this up. I went to the front desk and asked that a manager come with me to the room. She came, looked and smelled and offered us yet another room accross the "court yard" from this one. We again moved our stuff to a 2 floor room. I had noticed several "Proud to be smoke free since 2006" signs around the premesis. I was confused as everyone seemed to be smoking around the complex. I inquired and was told that the ROOMS are smoke free. They actually have a gazebo in the middle of the "court yard" surrounded by the each set of 4 two story building that they have for smoking. So everytime you enter or leave your room, people are smoking in front of you. The real fun starts at night. That is when the cases of beer get hauled to the gazebo. That way large groups of people can smoke and drink and make more noise until 1:30am (that is when I called the front desk). Another fun thing is when the maids from a distance holler out as you leave your room "Do you want anything today?" Nice touch. Anyway, I could go on but lets just say, this place is in the bottom 10 of all hotels in Fort Wayne. I am dissapointed that the on line presentation is grossly inaccurate.

Room Tip: Get a second floor unit.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank seasonedtraveler0912

Reviewed June 24, 2012

Book ahead for a great rate! You won't be disappointed! Rooms are clean, beds are comfy, no disgusting run of the mill comforters you know never get changed..not sure about all the rooms.. as this was our first stay.. but I KNOW we will always look for Stay Inn Suites from now on.. we had a nice little couch, TV, a fireplace, kitchen with everything you would really need for a short stay, plenty of closet space, ample work space around the sink-bathroom area.. I can't say enough about this place!!! If you are looking for more than just a bed to throw yourself on for the night.. and worrying about the cleanliness of the bed you are sleeping on.. you can't go wrong here!!! They have my business from now on!!! I hope all their properties have the same standards!!! Hands down the best place I have stayed for the money!!!

Room Tip: We used Hotels.com and booked ahead and got a great rate...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mary Christine G
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Loved the penthouse, got a great deal through booking.com. Two separate sleeping areas, two bathrooms, full kitchen, fireplace, how could you go wrong with that? Nice pool plus a pass to an excellent off-site gym. They provided full breakfast too.

The only minus I would say is that the furniture did need to be cleaned; it smelled.

Otherwise would totally love and plan on returning. It would be a great place for families to stay.

Room Tip: Penthouse suite is amazingly large, like a home away from home.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We opted for the penthouse suite because it offered two bedrooms (one is a loft rather than a real bedroom) and two full bathrooms. We couldn't have asked for a nicer place. It was super clean and quiet. The bed was actually comfortable, the shower had plenty of hot water and pressure, and there was plenty of room for three of us without feeling crowded. For families or larger groups, the couch even opens up into yet another bed. There was a full kitchen as well. Right nextdoor was a redi-mart for a midnight snack or beverages. They also offered a decent breakfast in the morning. Just down the road in either direction are plenty of restaurants to choose from - everything from nice sit-down restaurants to fast food. The hotel is located very close to the interstate exit, so it's very easy to find and easy to get in and out of. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank pippercat
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We stayed at this hotel during the Vera Bradly outlet sale. We made the reservation several months before our visit. When we went to check in they couldn't find our reservation. Kim called her Manager over and they got us into a room right away. They were both so friendly and helpful. We had a suite that had a kitchen and living room and one bed and bath downstairs and a bed and bath upstairs. Overall the unit was very clean but could use some updating. The heat worked very well and we actually got hot upstairs during the night but didn't feel going downstairs to adjust the temp. We left our cell phone charger plugged in upstairs by accident but the cleaning crew found it and the hotel is sending it back to us. They are using the charge card on file to pay for shipping.

Overall, we would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Charming complex,,,,,,felt like we were living in a condo,,,,,,,,staff was very helpful and friendly,,,,,manager/owner??? excellent people pleaser personality and hard working. Liked the penthouse we were in,,,,,,,wow,,,,,,,two separate sleeping areas and two separate bathrooms!!!!!! not to mention kitchen, living room, eating area and a fireplace. Definitely will come back here when in Ft. Wayne.

Room Tip: Opt for the penthouse!!!!!!!!! It's your home away from home!!!!!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 2, 2011

This was our second stay at Stay Inn and both times have been pleasant stays. Kristen and Adrianne at the front desk were friendly and very helpful. The room was spacious and clean and the fireplace was a nice bonus. The hotel is is close to downtown Ft. Wayne as well as good eats and shopping. When visiting Ft. Wayne , do not hesitate to make a reservation at Stay Inn.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple