“(Almost) Nothing Has Changed”

Ramada Plaza Fort Wayne Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #14 of 44 Hotels in Fort Wayne
West Des Moines, Iowa
“(Almost) Nothing Has Changed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

This hotel was a Marriott until the end of 2012, and the only place I've ever stayed in Fort Wayne. The property itself was not the greatest, but the location was perfect, and the wonderful staff always made it feel like home, so I always looked forward to returning. During my last Marriott visit in December, the staff assured me that nothing would chance when I returned in 2013.

For the most part, they were correct. My few minor issues were probably related to transition pains:
1. The hotel itself nearly impossible to find on bing/google searches. I eventually booked it through Expedia.
2. Billing peculiarities. For reasons I don't understand, I was called back to the restaurant to pay my check with my credit card, because they couldn't post the room charge to my account. However, a drink from the concierge lounge three hours earlier went through, no problem.
3. Hours at the Rum Runners bar are cut to Friday/Saturday only. This means that if you want a simple, inexpensive meal, you now have to get in your car (unless you can stomach Arby's....blecch).

Overall, a very nice stay; same as it ever was.

The fact of the matter, is that rewards points are hugely important for most frequent business travelers, and I can't imagine this hotel not taking a gut shot by losing its Marriott flag. I hope they survive this, because there is a group of first-rate professionals running this place.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Michael S, Manager at Ramada Plaza Fort Wayne Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for the feedback from your recent stay!

Our team has worked diligently over the past month to ensure a smooth transition from Marriott to Hotel Fort Wayne. I appreciate you bringing these points to our attention so we can address them appropriately.

Our new website should be "live" by the end of this week. This will make the hotel much more visible on search engines and easier to find for all guests.

I apologize for the confusion in the Red River steakhouse. At this point, I cannot be sure of the reason behind the billing issues; however, I have passed along your comments to our restaurant manager for further review.

We made the decision to limit the hours for Rum Runners to Friday & Saturday during the slower winter months. However, if any guest has a special favorite from the Rum Runners menu, we are more than happy to prepare it in our steakhouse at any time.

Thank you for your kind words and candid review - we hope to see you back the next time you visit Fort Wayne!

Hotel Fort Wayne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Melbourne, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Greetings,

I have been staying at this hotel for almost two years and recently they transferred from the Marriott chain to an independent (Hotel Ft. Wayne). I am a Platium, Marriott rewards member and I only stay at Marriott, seriously. However, because of this family that I have adopted at the Hotel Ft. Wayne, I did not mind not receiving my points for my recent stay. I must say that they have the same great service just a different name. The front desk staff (Selina Goings, Jessica Wilson, Amber M) are always available to assist me with all of my needs. They know me and what I like and assure that I am very comfortable, I feel safe there. Also, the conciege's group (Jill Collins and Tim) are professional and at the same time they provide exceptional service and they absolutely cater to each one personally. It is funny because I had one person say, "I was worried about you" because I did not get to the hotel at my normal time after work.

If you are ever in the area, please stay at the Hotel Ft. Wayne and experience the wonderful, warm service that I have received and tell them I said Hello!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Michael S, Manager at Ramada Plaza Fort Wayne Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for all your great comments - I will make sure to pass the feedback along to our entire team. We have many long-term employees who are committed to our hotel and it is great to know that our efforts are appreciated.

We hope to you see you back soon!

Michael S.
St Louis, Missouri, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

My husband, my daughter and I stayed here for one night.

This hotel is conveniently located off of I-69, exactly in the part of town where we wanted to be. It's close to lots of great stuff; excellent restaurants, a movie theater, DeBrand's Chocolates (YUM), etc.

The room was well-appointed, we requested a room with two beds and a fridge and that is exactly what we got. The bed was comfortable as were the pillows. The bedding was warm and nice. The room temperature was actually exactly where it needed to be for our comfort, so we didn't have to do any adjusting at all. The room was also very quiet, which was a huge blessing and made for a very restful sleep.

My daughter played at the pool while I sat poolside and used the free wireless internet connection on my iPad. Very nice. She thoroughly enjoyed the pool. It was not crowded in the pool area but did have a few people enjoying the space.

The staff were wonderful. Check-in was an absolute breeze & they slid the receipt under the door so check-out was easy, too.

Our son lives in Fort Wayne & I would definitely enjoy staying at this hotel again next time we visit him.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Michael S, Manager at Ramada Plaza Fort Wayne Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay.

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your room and our amenities. If you have an opportunity to return in the summer, we will also have the outdoor portion of the pool open. This doubles the size of our pool area and is very popular with guests in the warmer months.

I'm glad you enjoyed your time at the hotel and we hope you return soon!

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times over the past year or so (I am a Marriott Rewards member and try to stick with full service properties if available) and have always been impressed by the staff and the property overall. Like the previous review mentioned, it is an older hotel but they have maintained the rooms very well. I was surprised on my most recent visit to find the hotel operating as an independent but they haven't missed a beat. Would consider staying here again the next time I'm in Fort Wayne.

Room Tip: Concierge Floor is a nice upgrade if they have it available.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mike S
Michael S, Manager at Ramada Plaza Fort Wayne Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay.

I will make sure to pass your comments along to our entire staff. We hope to see you back again soon the next time you visit our city!

Fishers, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

We originally booked this through Marriott, but in December the hotel was dropped by Marriott or went independent. We were a little worried about this at first.

When we arrived, we were pleasantly surprised. Yes, the hotel is older, but not run down. There is actually a great bit of history there. The rooms were nice and seemed updated. The bathrooms were a little small. Our primary reason for picking this hotel was for the pool and hot tub. Our kids love to swim and the Hyatt across the street did not have a pool. The breakfast buffet was a nice add on.

Overall, our experience was very good here.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay with us.

I'm glad you were able to take advantage of our pool facilities and enjoyed the breakfast during your stay. Our team has worked very hard to ensure a seamless transition to an independent property and I'm glad you enjoyed your overall experience.

We hope to see you back again soon!