“Reasonably nice but needs attention”

Hilton Fort Wayne at the Grand Wayne Convention Center
Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Fort Wayne
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed for two nights over a weekend at this property and while it certainly was not bad at all there were enough failings that I would go stay there with certain caveats in mind. The hotel is well located downtown and, like the Courtyard Marriott, is attached to the Convention Center so it is very convenient if you are attending an event there. I am not sure how old this hotel is but it looks pretty dated in both public spaces and in my room.

In general, the room was comfortable and met my needs. The beds and linens, while not luxe, were still quite comfortable. There wasn't a whole lot of extra space but I wasn't entertaining anyone in the room. The bathroom is very small but again was adequate. All the plumbing worked as it was supposed to. Toiletries weren't as advertised but still were OK.

The flat screen HDTV was virtually worthless since for most of the two days and nights of my stay the cable was, at best, intermittent, and most often only the most basic channels worked. Forget HBO or CNN. I reported this as soon as I noticed the problem and it still wasn't working when I left.

The housekeeping staff really needs to be trained. They were very friendly but there were dead bugs on the nightstand, the phone between the beds was dead (the one on the desk worked), several light bulbs were burned out and one of the fixtures had a short circuit and couldn't be counted on for consistency. The safe is inside a closet and so close to the floor that I couldn't reach it without sitting on the floor and I had to use my iPhone flashlight to see the instructions due to the total lack of light. On top of that the mirrored bi-fold door to the closet was almost inoperable.

The in-room coffee machine was never cleaned or replenished (I had to go to the front desk myself) and they ignored my towel placement which, according to the card in the room indicated a willingness to reuse towels. The vending machine on my floor read "sold out" the entire time I was there and when I went to check out I had been charged for two nights of parking in spite of not having a car.

None of these issues amounts to a huge thing by itself, but taken collectively, it indicated a lack of concern about the quality of the experience. The desk staff were earnest and pleasant but very young and I think perhaps not exactly on top of the requests I made to have these items dealt with.

On the plus side though, the room was pretty quiet in spite of facing a main street and I slept well in the bed. If you decide to stay here, make sure you are getting a deal. My guess is that with the new Marriott right across the street it may force the Hilton to upgrade to compete.

Room Tip: I would try to get an end room due to the connecting doors between most of the doubles.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
mluttik, General Manager at Hilton Fort Wayne at the Grand Wayne Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at our hotel. We're sorry you encountered some challenges during your visit with us, and assure you your comments will be used to make improvements. We do hope to have an opportunity to host you again when you return to Fort Wayne.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I went there for a conference, had a great room with two king size beds (eight pillows in all!) and really enjoyed my week. The staff was friendly and helpful, the bistro served excellent breakfasts and there was simply nothing to complain about. Cindy´s Diner is just a few blocks away if you want a 50s feel for breakfast, too!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
mluttik, General Manager at Hilton Fort Wayne at the Grand Wayne Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Thanks for sharing your experience! We are delighted you enjoyed your room, the staff and the restaurant. Just to avoid confusion for future guests of our hotel: our guestrooms feature either two double beds or a single king. Most importantly though, we're glad you had a pleasant stay!

Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel in downtown Fort Wayne. Fitness center was clean with good equipment. Not much around hotel but than again there is not much in downtown Fort Wayne. Staff was very friendly. I will stay here when back in town.

• Stayed: September 2012
mluttik, General Manager at Hilton Fort Wayne at the Grand Wayne Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

We appreciate you taking the time to post your review! It's great to read you enjoyed the hotel and staff, and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Just recently finished staying at this hotel over the long Labor Day weekend. Check in was painless and our request for 2 adjoining rooms could not be accommodated but I felt were taken into consideration. One of the rooms needed to be handicap accessible and it was. For the 3 nights we were there our garbage cans ( really odd shaped- very skinny) in both rooms were never emptied. Our towels were never changed and the beds never made. After the first evening a lady in houskeeping asked if we needed new towels around 8 or 9am. We told her yes and that we were leaving the rooms. She never came back. The only other time we saw anyone in housekeeping was on Monday morning, the last morning as we were leaving 3 ladies in housekeeping knocked on our doors3 different times to see when we would be leaving.I found this somewhat anoying but understand the place has to be cleaned up. Wouldn't once have been enough though? The folks at check in were very nice as was everyone we encountered working there. I called the front desk twice on one of the days about 6 hours apart asking for a change of towels. I was informed that they would, but this never happened. Lavazza coffee with coffee maker was nice in the room. Never tried the pool. The last morning after I told the hotel I am a regular on Trip Advisor about the room never being cleaned we were treated to breakfast at the hotel eatery. The breakfast was nice but would have rather had my room clean. Parkin at the garage is$7/day and can be validated and added to room rate. We were also a little surprised to find 2 police cars while we were packing up to leave parked outside the hotel. Some hotel guests using the same garage were filing a police report because someone vandalized their car while parked there. Overall would expect a little more from a Hilton.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher level as we had a view of a rusty roof.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
mluttik, General Manager at Hilton Fort Wayne at the Grand Wayne Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review on your recent stay with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for our failure to provide proper housekeeping services during your stay. Be assured we will investigate how this could have happened and take corrective action to avoid reoccurrence. We assure you your experience is not typical and hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back when travel returns you to Fort Wayne.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

The Fort Wayne Hilton has gone through an upgrade over the past year or so. The lobby has been upgraded and the rooms have new carpeting and bedding. I live the mattress and pillows at this hotel - very comfortable. The front desk staff are always friendy and helpful, and I saw a Tincaps baseball game on this visit. The beautiful stadium is just acrossed the street from the hotel. There are a number of decent choices for hotels n the Fort Wayne area, but this Hilton is my favorite.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
mluttik, General Manager at Hilton Fort Wayne at the Grand Wayne Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

We're excited our hotel is your favorite in the Fort Wayne area! We're glad you like the result of the renovations we completed late last year, and are happy to hear our staff provides an experience to match the new and improved facilities. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I must applaud the Hilton Convention for being a great choice when looking for accomodations in FT Wayne. This was my second stay and I am very pleased with the room conditions and quality of food in their restaurant. The front desk peronnel are very accomodating.

During my last stay I left an aticle or so in my room. When I checked into my hotel two hours away i noticed that I was missing my garment bag, I contacted the hotel and Melissa was extremely accomodating willing to go above and beyond to make certain that my clothes and I were reunited by the next morning.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
mluttik, General Manager at Hilton Fort Wayne at the Grand Wayne Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review. We're excited to see you enjoy our accommodations, food offerings, staff and service when you visit Fort Wayne. We sincerely enjoy providing you a home away from home and look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

Could not ask for a better place to stay in Fort Wayne. Downtown with a few places within walking distance to get something to eat or drink. I run in the mornings down to the Riverfront Park which is right close by which is great. Rooms are always clean and staff is very helpful. Only complaint is the restaurant inside the hotel does not open to 6:30 am. For those of us in a hurry to get to a meeting it could open at 6 to make things easier.

• Stayed: August 2012
mluttik, General Manager at Hilton Fort Wayne at the Grand Wayne Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind comments. We're excited to read you enjoy the hotel as well as the nearby amenities. We hope to welcome you back soon!