“Still great after all these years!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Japanese, Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Van Wert, Ohio
“Still great after all these years!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

I recently took my 2 adult daughters, hubbies and young grandson for a Holiday dinnner. Sorry to say it's been many years since I was last there. Same great sevice, fabulous food and resonably priced!

Even though they were packed (as usual), we were seated right on time. They sure can run a lot of people through in a short period of time. We were never rushed, but we were in & out in about an hour - they are just that efficient.

I plan on putting this on my "regular" list of places to go.

• Visited December 2013

Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Always a fun atmosphere, and great food, too.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

I brought my family here the week before Christmas in 2007. We enjoyed the comedic offerings of the knife wielding chefs. The food as excellent, they made my kids laugh and even brought them behind the grill to catch a flying lemon with a fork. What a great time! Little did we know, that was the first year, of a now highly anticipated annual family night out. We always enjoy the filet and lobster, chicken hibachi, scallops and plum wine (for the adults!) Afterwards there are horse drawn carriage rides through the city, complete with sleigh bells!

The meal starts with a bowl of mushroom and onion stock soup. (Very simple, and delicious) Then the second course is a side salad with a delicious ginger dressing. Then the chef shows up and begins his entertaining way of preparing the meal. (Some of the chefs are more talkative and outgoing than other. We have had the same 2 all seven years in a row, and they are both great!) the next course is shrimp and vegetable appetizers served with spicy mustard and ginger sauce on the side for dipping. For my main course, I always get "the special dinner", which is a combination of the best filet in Fort Wayne and lobster tail. The special dinner is also served with your choice of steamed or fried rice, and a glass of plum wine. After the meal, a lovely tea is served to all.

We love coming to Takaoka, and will always uphold our tradition of returning, every December.

• Visited December 2013
Warsaw, Indiana
“Been the same for years and that's just fine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Took my daughter here for her birthday and had a great time. I've been to this place several times over the years and have enjoyed myself every time. The place is a little dated and the presentation is pretty much the same each time but I don't believe I would want it any other way. The food is very good and be sure to make reservations because this place can be packed. Entrees run about 20 dollars and you need to tip around 25% to cover the wait staff and the table side chef.

• Visited August 2013
Redford, MI
“So worth the wait!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

I am not from the Fort Wayne area, but my husband is. It has taken me 8 years to be able to step foot inside Takaoka. Let me say, it was every bit worth the wait! The chefs/cooks are AMAZING! Not only is the food delicious, but they prepare your meal in front of you, and do so many tricks, you're just left feeling amazed. Hearing everyone say that it so expensive really had me nervous, but I didn't feel it was any more expensive than any other restaurant I might frequent, so I was pleasantly surprised.

You get soup, salad, and your choice of an entree. You can choose from seafood (salmon, tuna), chicken, beef, and there was possibly also pork. The soup was awesome, and it was basically just broth with a few veggies. The salad was very good, as well. There was a very unique orange dressing on it. The appetizer was shrimp, which was prepared right in front of us. It's amazing to see the way everything is prepared. The cooks really are talented. Anything that my sister-in-law and nephew didn't want, they just asked the chef to hold, and he gladly did.

For your entree, they also cook everything right in front of you. You get delicious freshly cooked vegetables (zucchini and onions), and you get a choice for fried rice (prepared right in front of you), or steamed rice (which they just bring out to you).

I really can't say enough about my experience, and I hope it doesn't take me another 8 years to get back!

Lee was a WONDERFUL chef!!

• Visited June 2013
Waterloo, Indiana
“Entertainment and food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

If you enjoy being entertained and like Japanese food then you will more than likely have a good time and leave with a satisfied tummy! You need reservations and once seated around the grill the show begins. You watch as the Japanese chefs begin hacking,slashing,and whacking your food into submission. It's a lot of fun but a bit pricey. Not something I would do very often but once in a great while,sure!

• Visited April 2013