“Best Mexican Restaurant in Fort Wayne”
Review of El Azteca

El Azteca
Ranked #96 of 655 Restaurants in Fort Wayne
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: Family owned restaurant that has served Ft. Wayne since 1973. We serve over 150 tequila's! Voted Fort Wayne's Best Mexican Restaurant by the Fort Wayne Newspapers Reader's Choice Awards in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014 & 2015!
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Best Mexican Restaurant in Fort Wayne”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I've dined at most of the Mexican restaurants in the Fort Wayne area throughout my life and nothing ever beats El Azteca for me. Their fideo soup is a must-have every time I go - I even order it to go on days when I'm down with a cold instead of chicken noddle. Also love the green salsa, mesquite chicken quesadilla, and enchiladas. LOVE this place and can't imagine Fort Wayne without it.

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank Chris W

“If you are looking for authentic Mexican food don't go there!”
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

My family and I visited this restaurant couple weeks ago. It was clean and the service was great. But the food was far for being authentic Mexican...... adding almonds to the burrito? hummm not even close to authentic. The restaurant it's really small and space between tables it's narrow. It was hard to keep a conversation when we could hear people from other tables talk.
In a nutshell if you are looking for authentic Mexican food don't go there ! The closes thing to authentic are the names of the food! Service was great, and the place was clean.

• Visited June 2013
Cristina417, Owner at El Azteca, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
In response to your visit in June. We pride ourselves on our unique style of dishes we offer on our menu. We do not claim to serve all Authentic Mexican recipes, however we do offer some traditional Mexican dishes on our menu. The Chicken Almendra, which you referred to in your review, was created to add a flare to an ordinary chicken burrito. We make all of our sauces in house on a daily basis, from fresh ingredients. After traveling to Mexico numerous times over the years we have found creating dishes with unique sauces has contributed to our success as one of Ft. Wayne's favorites. I realize our restaurant is not in the most ideal setting, but many people love the coziness our old house has to offer. I appreciate your review and am glad to see you received great service during your dining experience. As an owner I value all feedback from reviews I see posted on sites like this. Thank you for posting your opinion. Although our recipes are not for everyone I believe we are doing something right. This November we will celebrate 40 years in business.
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
“Ole!”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We happened upon this restaurant in our Fort Wayne travel guide while in town for the Vera Bradley sale. The salsa was delicious as was the burritto - I have never had sliced almonds on one before, but what a nice addition! We will definitely visit when we are in town again :)

• Visited April 2013
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Where the locals eat Mexican!”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This restuarant is a local tradition. It has been family run for 30 + years. The salsa is great- go for red (hot). Everything is homemade.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank York476
Indiana
“Great Sangria”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Just had lunch at El Azteca and must give high praise. The lunch plate comes in two sizes which I love. The one burrito portion looks small on the plate but is the perfect size - especially after eatimg a bowl of chips and salsa - ha-ha. I don't usually have a drink at lunch but I ordered the red sangria and I'm not exaggerating when I say it's the best I've ever had. It was light but flavorful with a nice little kick. I can see these going down way too easily on a warm afternoon on the deck.

P.S. Love the red salsa.