“Pleasant atmosphere, Average service, Average food”

Don Hall's Old Gas House Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Don Hall's Old Gas House Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 653 Restaurants in Fort Wayne
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Lafayette / Spy Run
Fort Wayne, IN
“Pleasant atmosphere, Average service, Average food”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I go out to dinner with a group of friends once a month in our hometown and decided that I would start writing about our experiences. We had planned on eating at The Deck that is next to the Gas House but the weather was a little chilly so we headed indoors. The Gas House has been remodeled since my last visit several years ago, the look and feel of the restaurant are nice and comfortable with an upscale feel. The service was just "fine" nothing outstanding but nothing bad either. One major flaw was the lack of beer on the beer menu. Two different beers were ordered, neither were available. Regarding the food....I ordered a steak with crab and asparagus on top. I always order med-rear but the steak was closer to med-well which was disappointing. The crab and asparagus were good but I would likely not order it again. I had the creamed spinach side, which was also good but lacked seasoning. The salad and garlic bread that were served prior to the main course were the best part. Total price for a dinner and tea for one was $30. All of us agreed that although the place was fine, we were a little disappointed and would likely find another place to eat for the price that was paid.

Holland, OH
“Delightful Surprise in Downtown Fort Wayne”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

After dropping off our grandchildren in Indianapolis, we decided to stop for lunch in Ft Wayne on our way back to Toledo. Don Hall's Gas House was worth the few extra miles off the freeway.

Service was spot on ... excellent.
Atmosphere: Warm, woody, comfortable
Food: Tasty and creative

I had their "Small Plates Lunch" for $9.00. Choose food items from column "A" and one from column "B". I ordered the iceberg wedge, smothered in bleu cheese, red onion and bacon. WOW! I was skeptical about the combination but our waiter assured me it was delicious. He was right. I also chose the Sesame Seared Ahi Tuna. Another hit for my palate! Yummy! Tuna was tender and tasty. Presentation was awesome.

My husband ordered the Roasted Chicken club ... loaded with flavor and juicy. The garlic mayo really took the sandwich over the top.

Did I mention their bread sticks? OMG ... so good!

We've programmed the Old Gas House into our GPS and will plan future road trips around a stop in Ft Wayne!

Terre Haute, Indiana
“Pleasing the palate”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This former gas company complex was the site of an enjoyable lunch before visiting the nearby Fort Wayne Museum of Art. I've become a burgers-and-options kind of afternoon diner, and this time it was the Chicago Burger with bacon, pepperjack and jalapeños, which were mystifyingly served on the side. I suggested to the waitress she suggest to the cook that the peppers be placed atop the burger before the cheese on the grill.
One other at the table had a similar burger, while the other two diners opted for the small plate lunch. None of us was disappointed.
If in Fort Wayne and looking for casual dining in a repurposed building, I suggest it highly.

Forked River, New Jersey
“Nice Place for Dinner”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I ate here recently with my husband. I have not been here for at least 40 years and was surprised that it was still here. The food was decent and the cocktails perfect. We will definitely eat here again if we are in the area!!!

Visited July 2013
Namur, Belgium
“Not perfect but ok”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Quite difficult to find a good place in the city. Old gaz house restaurant was finallly my best choice. Food was ok , Gumbo was good,prime rib was good . Too many sauce in the plate but méat was ok. Spinash where a little bit too dry but ok.