“Food, service and Atmosphere all in one place! Chop's”

Chop's Steak & Seafood
Ranked #12 of 653 Restaurants in Fort Wayne
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Allen, Texas
“Food, service and Atmosphere all in one place! Chop's”
Reviewed September 8, 2007

I cannot speak for Dave from Indy, but my colleague and I went to Chop's on a Thursday night and found it packed! It was a 20 minute wait to get a table and well worth the wait.
I had the special, encrusted Walleye and my colleague had a salad with fruit and all sorts different of lettuce. Both of us enjoyed our entree very much. The people around us had steaks and they looked awesome.
When you order a glass of wine, they fill the glass to the top. No short pours here.
The staff was very professional and helpful in selecting my meal and explaining the different fish entrees.
Chuck Pastor, the owner, came by our table and welcomed us and was determined to make sure we were happy with our meal.
I would highly recommend you go in and let the staff at Chop's show you what I discovered, a fine place to eat.
Enjoy.

• Korean first
Seattle, Washington
“Poorly prepared steaks - Nice enough atmosphere”
Reviewed February 19, 2007

I entertain in Ft. Wayne with some regularity, and there are a number of restaurants on my regular rotation: Joseph Decuiz (Roanoke), Club Soda, the Oyster Bar, Hartley's, and Park Place (pretty much in order of my preference). I wanted to like Chops, but found it to be significantly substandard to these other establishments.

Chops is a nice place to eat lunch, but comes up lacking when it comes to putting a well-prepared entree and sides dishes onto your table. I've eaten dinner at Chops five times now, ordering steak three times and fish twice. None of these meals were pleasing. The beef was overcooked each time (I always order Medium Rare, the steaks always came Medium Well or Well). The first steak was a special of the day - a filet with crab and garlic butter on top. The crab was decently prepared, and the garlic butter was actually not the oily mess you sometimes get with steak; however, the filet was overcooked and tough. It's pretty hard to so badly ruin a filet - but this one was not at all juicy - I couldn't finish it. When I told the waitress that the steak was well-done rather than the medium rare I'd ordered. She said simply "sorry". No offer of another steak. No visit from a manager. Just an off-the-cuff "sorry". O.K.

The other steaks were ribeyes. If there's an "easiest steak to cook to a patron's satisfaction", it HAS to be the ribeye. The first ribeye was served medium well, and actually was a bit flavorful - having some juice left in the meat. The second ribeye was the same as the filet described above - well-done and nearly devoid of moisture. I've NEVER had a ribeye that was so dry - I didn't finish this one either. Actually, this second "ribeye" steak seemed to be a slice of prime rib that had been grilled.

The fish dishes were also overcooked (I've learned that, with the exception of Joseph Decuiz and the Oyster Bars, all restaurants in Ft. Wayne grossly overcook their fish). They were seasoned well, but you just can't enjoy fish when it's overcooked.

The side dishes are typical, and are prepared reasonably well (baked potato, sweet potato, garlic mashed potatos, steamed broccoli - NOT overcooked, etc.). And the bar service is very good - second only to Club Soda in my opinion.

The environment is not impressive on the outside, located in a non-descript strip mall. However, once inside the place is nicely appointed. The waitstaff are pleasant and moderately attentive, albeit more akin to what you'd expect to find in a Ponderosa than the sort of knowledgable waitstaff you'd expect in a restaurant that holds itself up to be an elegant chop house.

Prices are equivalent to what you'd expect to find in a truly elegant chop house (entrees from $18 to $38).

Can't recommend this one (except maybe for lunch - reasonable prices and, so long as you stick with the sandwiches, decent food).

3 Thank Dave_in_Indy