“I'd rather sleep in my car.”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #39 of 44 Hotels in Fort Wayne
Reviewed July 8, 2009

The above quote is actually not mine. It's what the man at the nearby pizza parlor told us when we said we were staying there. It has a reputation for having prostitutes and the like.

We knew what he was talking about. When we pulled up, the first thing we saw was a young woman, scantily dressed, walking through the parking lot in a seductive manner. Though I didn't stop to inquire, she definitely appeared to be a prostitute.

As we got out of our car, the 10 or so people leaning over the railing of the upstairs balcony stared at us. We got the clear impression that we were in the wrong neighborhood.

I booked on a third party site, so I had called the hotel in advance to confirm that we had a room with two beds, and I was informed that we did not but that it shouldn't be a problem to change. The woman I spoke with told me that if I didn't hear back, to assume I had a room with two beds. When we checked in, I asked if we had been given a room with two beds. The woman said, "Yes, that will be $10." I told her that I hadn't been told there would be an additional charge and I would rather have a king size bed if that was the case. She told me that she had no more rooms with king size beds and insisted I pay the $10. I refused. I told her that for $10 more, I would have stayed at a nicer hotel. After much arguing, she finally gave in, but customer satisfaction clearly wasn't her priority.

As we walked to our room, we passed some intimidating characters, and I noticed that there were broken items, including a large sheet of glass, laying next to and under the stairwell.

The room was relatively clean, but the unpleasant experiences we had getting to the room made my travel partner feel unsafe. We ended up leaving the hotel and staying elsewhere. We cared more about a decent place to stay than getting our money back.

If the hotel somehow cleaned up its clientele, it could be a decent stay. Until then, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2009
1  Thank TS1188

Reviewed June 15, 2009

Desk staff was very curtious, Room was very large, clean, neat, and tidy. Good Price for Our stay.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2009

I was pleasantly surprised that I got a room with exactly what I was promised and a comfortable bed. This motel has been recently renovated and is nicer than I expected. The staff was polite and efficient. I received more than my money's worth twice, and now I'm booking a January stay.
My only request would be to replace the packaged cookies (which I don't eat) with bagels or even donuts.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed December 19, 2007

My and my wife stopped in here for the night on 12/08/07 we choose this place because of the wireless internet i need it for work.I check in a woman checking out says that the internet worked great for her.I get a room i get on the internet ,but can not open anything up.After talking with the i assume owner he gets very upset tells me i have internet and that i am tring to scam him out of money.Not sure how he came to that when all i did was ask for a room closer to the router or office.I told me i am the only one to ever have a problem with the internet..Which i know now is a fat lie...he finally gives another room up only to still have no internet.I did find if i stood in the doorway with the door open i could get on the net.On top of that the rooms were filthy and smelly one room had a spoon with what i think was peanut butter on it behind the night stand..Stay away from this filth hole.I think the homeless shelter is cleaner

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank onehungtolow4u
Reviewed December 2, 2006

We had seen this property on the Internet, and it seemed like an attractive place, particularly since it offered free wireless internet and continental breakfast. We have now learened that there is a wide range of variation in these two features.

The internet was particularly important during our trip, as it was necessary for us to stay in touch with our business while we were out of the country.

Upon arrival, the receptionist acknowledged the rate we had seen and so we checked in. She printed out a username and password for the network and told us that breakfast -- coffee and packaged cookies -- would be available the next morning.

Although we were able to connect to the hotel's network, we could not open any web pages. The best the receptionist could tell us was to go to the BVI website and log in -- which we were more than eager to do, but could not. She eventually had the owner's college-student son call us back, but we pretty much got the same advice. He said he would get hold of his friend, who had set up the network, and get back to us. We heard nothing further. We were unable to use the internet during our stay.

The room itself was in poor condition. There was a half-full bottle of soda left in the fridge from other guests. No coffee maker. The bathroom was not particularly clean -- hairs in the bathtub and on the floor. The toilet would not flush at first -- had to open the tank and adjust a few things to get the water flowing.

The sink was cracked and rusty in places. The bed was as hard as a rock.

We would not recommend this hotel, and will most certainly never stay there again if we are in Fort Wayne.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank nedertouristen